• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 minutes ago, David1701 said:

It is godly sorrow (i.e. for sinning against God) that leads to repentance, not a desire to be happy.  This is just another example of how what you post differs from Scripture.

No, I was unhappy, and God convinced me I'd be happy if I repented of my sin. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

5 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Repenting Of Sin is a good Thing . It  will make you a  more Moral person....there is Certainly nothing Wrong with that ....However, Let me assure you—- Hell will be replete  with “ Moral” People....

If the Bible says “ repent of sins”..... by all means.....  Do it ! 

If the Bible ever says “ Repent Of Sins in order to be Saved—- do THaT too!

The Problem is the Bible NEVER says that.If you can find where it does  in the KJV .....provide the Verse and I will give you or anybody else in here $1000...

MY BIBLE says the Way to get Saved is to Simply Believe in Paul’s Gospel —— Given to Him personally by Jesus Christ.This Gospel That God will JUDGE YOU BY ( NOT your ability to Repent) can be found in 1Cor15:1-4 ....

If and  when you discover this verse that can Save you, make sure you don’t ADD to It or you will “ Fall from Grace” ( Gal5)

Also , make sure you REST in IT and nothing else  for your Salvation, lest God  declare you guilty if “ Disobedience”and “ UNBELIEF”...

In closing....PREACH another Gospel ....one that God declares “ False” and “ Perverted” and you will find yourself “ Accursed”—- damned for Eternity....

The PERVERTED Gospel  most  promoted these days would be THIS ONE—- “ Sure, Jesus died   for your sins , but once you know “ that” , you must Reoent of  all of your sins  before you die , or you will go to Hell”...

Another popular PERVERTED Gospel says, “ Jesus died for your Sins, but not the “ Willful” ones”......This False, Perverted “Gospel” stems from a confused “ take” on Hebrews 10, where the True “,Willful” Sin being addressed is the Sin Of UNBELIEF .....The Jews of that day had heard the True Gospel Of Jesus Being the “ONE TIME SACRIFICE” for Sin......They Rejected That Truth and proved it by continuing to offer their worthless animal Sacrifices at the Temple That was still open for business......a “ Business” made obsolete by the Sacrifice Of Jesus on the Cross....God Bless.....

The problem is with the word "repentance".  Many people don't know that it translates a word meaning "change of mind".  We don't repent of all our sins (like going through a list and saying that we're sorry and won't do it again); rather, we, by the grace of God, change our minds regarding sin and God.  We turn from loving sin and hating God, to loving God and hating sin.  This is what repentance is.

Repentance cannot be separated from genuine faith - they always go together.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

1 minute ago, johnthebaptist said:

No, I was unhappy, and God convinced me I'd be happy if I repented of my sin. 

Here is what the word of God says.

2 Cor. 7:9-11 (EMTV)

9 Now I rejoice, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led to repentance; for you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.
  10 For godly sorrow brings about repentance leading to salvation, without regret; but worldly sorrow brings about death.
  11 For behold this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner, how much diligence it brought about in you, even an eagerness to defend, even indignation, even fear, even longing, even zeal, even vengeance! In all things you demonstrated yourselves to be pure in this matter.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology

3 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Here is what the word of God says.

2 Cor. 7:9-11 (EMTV)

9 Now I rejoice, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led to repentance; for you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.
  10 For godly sorrow brings about repentance leading to salvation, without regret; but worldly sorrow brings about death.
  11 For behold this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner, how much diligence it brought about in you, even an eagerness to defend, even indignation, even fear, even longing, even zeal, even vengeance! In all things you demonstrated yourselves to be pure in this matter.

I was there when I repented; I saw it happen.

6 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I was there when I repented; I saw it happen.

On the right hand, we have the word of God. 

On the left hand, we have your interpretation of your experience.

Hmm ... a wise man's heart is at his right hand...

Just now, David1701 said:

On the right hand, we have the word of God. 

On the left hand, we have your interpretation of your experience.

Hmm ... a wise man's heart is at his right hand...

Jesus told us to repent. I did as he said, so now I know what happens when we repent, and I shared that with you.

My message to all of you, and I am quoting Jesus Christ, is:

Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 4:17 RSV

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Eph 2:8  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, Eph 2:9  not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Eph 2:8  For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and made partakers of Christ's salvation) through [your] faith. And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not through your own striving], but it is the gift of God; Eph 2:9  Not because of works [not the fulfillment of the Law's demands], lest any man should boast. [It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.]

Joh 3:18 NKJV "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Joh 3:18 AMP He who believes in Him [who clings to, trusts in, relies on Him] is not judged [he who trusts in Him never comes up for judgment; for him there is no rejection, no condemnation—he incurs no damnation]; but he who does not believe (cleave to, rely on, trust in Him) is judged already [he has already been convicted and has already received his sentence] because he has not believed in and trusted in the name of the only begotten Son of God. [He is condemned for refusing to let his trust rest in Christ's name.]

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Josheb said:

Am I being asked because the answer is unknown, or am I being asked in a round about attempt to make a point?

The answer is, of course, sin

Doctrinally speaking this matter has been addressed uniformly in and by the church with the doctrine we now call "total depravity," which simply teaches due to the effects of sin humans are incapable of approaching God salvifically in their own effort unaided by God. The doctrine does NOT in any way say humans are incapable of good or moral acts. The doctrine does not say humans are totally depraved, it says the depraving effect of sin it total salvifically. People often get this incorrect. Of the great Christian soteriologists in Christian history, those such as Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Arminius, Wesley and more contemporary versions like Olson and Frame there is 100% uniformity and agreement on this one aspect of salvation. There is no deviation. ALL agree humans are incapable of coming to God unaided by God fro the purpose of salvation from sin and wrath. Everyone is a one-pointer ;). Except those holding to the Pelagian views and that was long ago decided a heresy. 

That is why people don't "just do it". 

I'm glad we have agreement. It is not solely scriptural; it's a logical necessity. 

When sin has had such an effect that a person no longer believes any god exists there is no basis for believing sin exists and there is no one to whom that human might repent. So they do not do so. To truly put ourselves in those peoples' shoes to try and imagine what that might look like we'd have to completely abandon any and all belief in a deity. The problem there, of course, is that our conversion is contain in every fiber of our being and we couldn't forget even if we wanted it and tried very hard to do so. 

Take a look at the last sentence in Genesis 4, paying particular attention to the first word in that sentence. 

Genesis 4:26
"Then men began to call upon the name of the LORD." 

What were they doing before that. How did that "then" come about, and who were these men? Two-and-a-half chapters later we read this: 

Genesis 6:5
"Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." 

How'd that happen if men were calling on the name of the LORD? :whistling:

I'm not trying to make a point, though I think I know the answer to my question.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

10 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matthew 4:17 RSV

Did you ever consider that by using the word “ repent” here that Jesus was saying “ Turn” .......as in “ TURN TO GOD”

That makes sense, because if you “ turn to God” as the Publican did, Jesus says that will Save you...

on the other hand—taken the the way that “ you” want it to mean—-nobody Repented as seriously as Judas did ....you think his “ repentance” got him saved? Had his repentance involved Turning to God, he would be in Heaven right now.....Judas never turned to God—- he Turned to a hang- man’s Noose. That’s why he is in Hell right now.....those that fail to “ Turn to God” ( The True Repentance for Salvation ) will find themselves with Judas—- along with  anybody else that thought that “ repenting Of Sins” is the Way to get to Heaven ..

Its a False, Perverted Gospel That makes such a claim—- try the True Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing In 1 cor 5:1-4  .....

Believe That alone.....that will get Gods Spirit in you , and following That.....the type of Repentance that you are talking about ( guilt, sorrow, remorse for Sin) will occur naturally in your life as part of God’s to “ Transform you into the Image Of His Son”

God bless

17 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Did you ever consider that by using the word “ repent” here that Jesus was saying “ Turn” .......as in “ TURN TO GOD”

That makes sense, because if you “ turn to God” as the Publican did, Jesus says that will Save you...

on the other hand—taken the the way that “ you” want it to mean—-nobody Repented as seriously as Judas did ....you think his “ repentance” got him saved? Had his repentance involved Turning to God, he would be in Heaven right now.....Judas never turned to God—- he Turned to a hang- man’s Noose. That’s why he is in Hell right now.....those that fail to “ Turn to God” ( The True Repentance for Salvation ) will find themselves with Judas—- along with  anybody else that thought that “ repenting Of Sins” is the Way to get to Heaven ..

Its a False, Perverted Gospel That makes such a claim—- try the True Gospel Of Grace Plus Nothing In 1 cor 5:1-4  .....

Believe That alone.....that will get Gods Spirit in you , and following That.....the type of Repentance that you are talking about ( guilt, sorrow, remorse for Sin) will occur naturally in your life as part of God’s to “ Transform you into the Image Of His Son”

God bless

Do you think the Lord favors sin?