IGNORED

When does a Christian person go directly to God Himself , and when does said person go to a pastoral/spiritual guide to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will ?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  453
  • Topics Per Day:  0.32
  • Content Count:  522
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

In the Bible, some of the main characters often have a pastoral/spiritual guide to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will.
King Saul --had--> Prophet Samuel
King David --had--> Prophet Nathan
King Hezekiah --had--> Prophet Isaiah

Even some major evil characters had pastoral/spiritual guides

King Ahab --had--> Prophet Elijah

I suppose the following association is probably really really weak but if you consider John The Baptist's water baptizing Jesus Christ then

Jesus Christ --probably had--> John The Baptist as a sort of guide if you take the water baptism into consideration but this is really a weak argument

In any case,  I don't want to kind of stray away from what my real question is going to be.
When does a Christian person go directly to God Himself , and when does said person go to a pastoral/spiritual guide to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will ?

One of the reasons that I ask said question is because
(Mark 15:37-38)
37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38 And the veil of the temple was Torn in two from top to bottom.

Jesus Christ's death on The Cross allows us to approach God directly.

Furthermore, I really do Not want to keep approaching pastoral/spiritual guides as if they were soothsayers/seers/fortune teller all the time.

Therefore, When does a Christian person go directly to God Himself , and when does said person go to a pastoral/spiritual guide  to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, bartmac123 said:
In the Bible, some of the main characters often have a pastoral/spiritual guide to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will.

I suppose the following association is probably really really weak but if you consider John The Baptist's water baptizing Jesus Christ then

Jesus Christ --probably had--> John The Baptist as a sort of guide if you take the water baptism into consideration but this is really a weak argument

In any case,  I don't want to kind of stray away from what my real question is going to be.

37 And Jesus uttered a loud cry, and breathed His last. 38 And the veil of the temple was Torn in two from top to bottom.

Furthermore, I really do Not want to keep approaching pastoral/spiritual guides as if they were soothsayers/seers/fortune teller all the time.

Therefore, When does a Christian person go directly to God Himself , and when does said person go to a pastoral/spiritual guide  to get Godly guidance or to get a better understanding of God's Will ?

First you go to God to guide and direct you for whatever you are dealing with. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

We do not need a priest or prophet to be the go between us and God when we mess up; for Jesus is our high priest. He is our mediator. Because of His sacrifice on the cross for us, we may go directly to God and tell Him what is on our hearts.

1 John 2:1

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate before the Father--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

God speaks to us through His written word and through the presence of the Holy Spirit who resides in our hearts. Helping us to understand what we are reading. The Bible is God’s Word, given to us, so we can know Him and discover how He wants us to live. He also gave it to us, so we can have hope;  hope of God’s forgiveness, and hope for His presence with us, both now and forever.

It is good to seek advice and ask questions from your pastor, just as you did here. Pastors are not soothsayers or fortune-tellers in that sense. Nor should you see them as such as if they could predict your individual future. A pastor serves as a church's sheppard (leadership), teaching, missionary work, evangelism, preaching God's word, praying with people.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

When your having difficulty hearing from God, you can seek a man of God to help

But remember, the only source for your help is God, not men. They are just there to help point the way to God

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I don't know if I would refer to those prophets as being for those kings, as if it was their job specifically to minister to those kings. Lots of prophets were ministering to all the people, trying to call them back to God, throughout the Old Testament.

Ultimately we go to God, because even if we go to a pastor or other believer for advice or help, that advice or help should be coming from the Bible. We are weak on our own, and that's why we gather and have fellowship.

"And let us consider how to stir up one another, to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." -- Hebrews 10:24-25

Sometimes it takes someone who has a perspective on a situation different than yours to help. Someone who can remove themselves and not have the inherent biases that we all do. But there's not really a situation where you don't go to God. Go to God in prayer first, second, third, and always. Advice from other believers should always be supplementary and scripturally-based. Keep going to God above all else, but surround yourself with fellow believers that God can speak to you through as well.

"Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." -- Hebrews 4:16

"praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints" -- Ephesians 6:18

"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise." -- James 5:13

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." -- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -- Philippians 4:6-7

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

4 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

A well known Bible teacher said that if we want to know the will of God, read the Bible.  If we want to do the will of God, do the Bible.

If we are continually fellowshiping with the Lord through prayer and His Word, then when it is appropriate to consult a pastor for guidance, the Holy Spirit will make it clear.  Sometimes you will be sitting in church and part of the pastor's message may be prophetic for you and you will hear the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to you through it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

13 hours ago, bartmac123 said:

We should be in prayer at all times (1 Thessalonians 5:17). If you'd like to talk to someone you look up to, feel free to do so.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

You have read the ten commandments, what situation are you facing that is not covered by them?

You have read and heard sermons on Jesus's sermon on the mount and how he made keeping not just the letter of the law, but the keeping the spirit of the law vital.

That is Do not commit adultery, the spiritual application is do not lust after pretty girls etc.

If you are struggling to understand this ask either here or your minister to explain what you don't understand.