• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

Am I supposed to forget my past and start over?  I mean is it ok if I do forget everything and start over or am I supposed to remember my past as it makes me who I am now? Or does my past have nothing to do with who I am now?  I think it’s popular in therapy to recall the past, especially traumatic experiences as they make you who you are today, But, as a Christian am I supposed to ignore all that and forget it and start a new identity in Christ and just say that I don’t remember that old sinner and that old person is dead and gone and I am brand new now?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

I suggest you stay clear of therapy and navel gazing. It is good to keep humble and recall mistakes etc. It is better to focus on new things and the NOW and TOMORROW. Hindsight is always 2020, and I have done really dumb things I must not dwell upon.

Stay sane; pray often and rejoice in your forgiveness. Focus on others and the Lord I suggest.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

23 minutes ago, Beppybuva said:

I mean is it ok if I do forget everything and start over or am I supposed to remember my past as it makes me who I am now?

How can you forget the past? I don't think you can. Your past defines your present but only your choices define your future. Accept what was but don't dwell on it. Focus on what is before you today and what you want to build for tomorrow.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

29 minutes ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

Am I supposed to forget my past and start over?  I mean is it ok if I do forget everything and start over or am I supposed to remember my past as it makes me who I am now? Or does my past have nothing to do with who I am now?  I think it’s popular in therapy to recall the past, especially traumatic experiences as they make you who you are today, But, as a Christian am I supposed to ignore all that and forget it and start a new identity in Christ and just say that I don’t remember that old sinner and that old person is dead and gone and I am brand new now?

Question: "Is forgetting the past biblical? Does the Bible instruct us to forget the past?"

Answer: 
The apostle Paul ends a section in Philippians 3 by saying, “One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (verses 13–14). Is Paul instructing us to forget everything that ever happened before we met Christ? Is this a command to purge our minds of all memories?

It is important to consider the passage that precedes these words. Paul had just listed all his religious qualifications that, to the Jewish mind, were of supreme importance. He then states, “I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord” (verse 8). Paul is making the point that no fleshly accomplishment matters in comparison with knowing Christ and trusting in His righteousness alone for salvation (Ephesians 2:8–9). Regardless of how good or how bad we may have been, we must all come to Christ the same way: humble, repentant, and undeserving of His forgiveness (Romans 5:8; Titus 3:5).

The word forgetting in this passage means “no longer caring for, neglecting, refusing to focus on.” Our memories store millions of pieces of information gained through our senses since birth. Some experiences are impossible to forget, and any effort to forget them only makes them more prominent. Paul is not advising a memory wipe; he is telling us to focus on the present and the future, rather than the past.

It’s easy to “live in the past.” Whether it’s a past victory that our minds continually replay or a past defeat that hangs over us like a shroud, it needs to be left in the past. Nothing hinders present service quite like being mired in another time. Modeling Paul’s forgetfulness means we count the past as nothing. We cut the strings that tie us to that bygone moment. We refuse to allow past successes to inflate our pride. We refuse to allow past failures to deflate our self-worth. We leave it behind and instead adopt our new identity in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

We are not to forget everything, however, in the sense of being oblivious to it. In fact, there are many times God instructs us to remember. In Deuteronomy 9:7, Moses tells the Israelites to “remember this and never forget how you aroused the anger of the Lord your God in the wilderness. From the day you left Egypt until you arrived here, you have been rebellious against the Lord.” We are encouraged to remember all God has done for us (Psalm 77:11; 103:2), others who are suffering for Christ’s sake (Hebrews 13:3; Colossians 4:18), and what we were before Jesus saved us (Ephesians 2:11–12; 1 Corinthians 6:9–11). But the remembering should be to the glory of God and for our spiritual benefit. If we are cleansed by the blood of Christ, then no judgment remains for past failures (Romans 8:1). If God chooses not to remember our past sins (Hebrews 8:12), we can choose to set them aside as well and embrace the future He promises to those who love Him (Romans 8:28; Ephesians 2:10).

https://www.gotquestions.org/forgetting-the-past.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

45 minutes ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

God brought us all through our past lives so we can see His love for us as He changes us to not want to live that life any longer, and so that we can help others we find living the same way we used to live.  If it were not for my past experiences, I would not be able to relate to others who are going through the same things I went through as I try to help them.  I don't believe for one minute that God wants us to forget where we came from, just not to live in the past.

Edited by OneLight
spelling

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you all

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

The passages in Philippians 3 isn't speaking so much about totally forgetting your former life before you came to Christ. A memory wipe so to speak. Because we can't forget memories. But rather, not focusing so much on the past that you are unable to live in the present and look forward to what lies ahead. Eternal life. Your former unsaved life with all its successes and failures should count as nothing in comparison to your new life in Christ. For there is nothing more valuable than our relationship in Christ. Leave your old sinful self in the past; You have a new identity in Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

You are a new creation  The old things have passed away and all things have become new. There is a fine line where you don't want to forget the past or the lessons learned. but you don't want to own the past, as it will drag you down

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

I believe when we repent of our sin, we are forgiven. I don't know if it is possible to forget our mistakes, and I am a believer in learning from our mistakes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

19 hours ago, Beppybuva said:

Hello,

The NT quote about "forgetting the past" is made by Paul, who says it's worth forgetting his religious training of "get to Heaven by good deeds/following the OT Law" for "trust Jesus for salvation".

It's important to review some early trauma with Jesus, for healing. If you pursue counselors, look for born again counselors.