• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

2 minutes ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

You demonstrated the point perfectly I think.  You said the readers need to be more astute.  No they don't.  

Yes, they do or they can easily take an incorrect stance of what they read.  We are not to "dumb-down" our understanding, but be more aware of what is actually being said.  Discernment is key.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

There are several different usages for the word "atheist".  Giving only one definition is not the scientific thing to do.  Leah.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

1 minute ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

If you can define the word troll properly, I think I will have something to say about it.  If a troll, to you, is just someone you disagree with on a subject, that is an entirely different thing.  You should be careful you aren't calling people you disagree with "trolls" if they don't fit the dictionary definition of an internet troll.

I do not see a troll as someone I disagree with - that is childish.  An internet troll is someone who purposely makes statements, even if they know it is wrong, just to ignite an argument or inflame a discussion - baiting someone.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

There are several different usages for the word "atheist".  Giving only one definition is not the scientific thing to do.  Leah.

you are confusing atheism with agnosticism. Atheists do not believe in God or gods. If you think differently, please give a link or quote  your definition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest clancy
7 hours ago, Josheb said:

The term "troll" in internet vernacular is anyone who posts with the intent of emotional provocation, or the intent to provoke an emotional response. Ad hominem provokes emotional responses.... 

I agree with this.

But I also believe that ,not all are aware of how they are posting and that they are posting in that certain way, that you speak of above......on this forum......I have done it and am very careful how I post,   “Now”

” And How I Say It”........thank you for this post, josheb....I can actually see myself in what you have said in your post,... so a real eye opener for me,.....I am learning...

Edited by clancy

Guest clancy
19 hours ago, Josheb said:

The term "troll" in internet vernacular is anyone who posts with the intent of emotional provocation, or the intent to provoke an emotional response. Ad hominem provokes emotional responses.... 

...unless the person attacked knows Whose they are ;).

This was such a huge light bulb moment for me....that I wrote it down and posted it on a non believers forum, as I was explaining to them ,how this poster helped me with his post..

Edited by clancy

Guest clancy
18 minutes ago, Regenerated-Adult said:

It seemed way too subjective to me, like it wasn't a dictionary definition.  You always have to question things people say, just check it out to see if it makes sense.  Usually they fail and it doesn't make sense.

I saw the insight straight away...it was like it was posted especially for me, even though it wasn’t.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

13 hours ago, clancy said:

I agree with this.

But I also believe that ,not all are aware of how they are posting and that they are posting in that certain way, that you speak of above......on this forum......I have done it and am very careful how I post,   “Now”

” And How I Say It”........thank you for this post, josheb....I can actually see myself in what you have said in your post,... so a real eye opener for me,.....I am learning...

Internet trolls try to stir up arguments (even if they don't care about who is right or wrong).  As Josheb has said, they try to provoke emotional responses (especially negative ones).  They also try to disrupt discussions with off-topic remarks.

Here is a definition from Wikipedia.

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet. This is typically done by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion. This is typically for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or manipulating a political process."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

I dunno. I guess maybe some terminologies come in handy at times. I'm not disagreeing with you.

I see some limited use for it, when say, an easily understood term can reduce the number of typed words and get a point across better. If too many terms are thrown around I find I often need to translate which is more a waste of time than simply explaining the thing. Unless a person is a PhD in Theology and has studied under certain terminologies it doesn't always connect with me in a way that makes any sense. This is coming from someone who ( I'm not bragging)  had collegiate language and reading comprehension by the time I was in the 6th grade.

I understand different people often have different styles of typed communication. What I have little time for is using multiple terms to identify some kind of a short coming in someone's logic who is being debated. I would reason, why not simply bring forward more information to help in the discussion? Said information could then shed more light on the subject discussed either for or against.

In the end, we all have Bibles, we all have study resources. We all have the capability to reason with the available data.

I often ENJOY speaking with someone more knowledgeable than myself on subjects I am not as familiar with. I think we can all stand to learn something. It is in this spirit I would hope we build one another up.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

I pay attention to fallacies. These are formal logical fallacies in debate and I have learned a lot about trying to avoid them in discussions, in particular fora like these. Heaven knows it's easy to commit them but awareness will only strengthen your points.

I don't see much trolling here, as typically defined in internet usage.