Justin Adams

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

RESPONSIBILITY: Brethren, our preaching will bear its legitimate fruits. If immorality prevails in the land, the fault is ours in a great degree. If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discrimination, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in religion, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that the very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it. Let us not ignore this fact, my dear brethren; but let us lay it to heart, and be thoroughly awake to our responsibility in respect to the morals of this nation. --Charles G. Finney, December 4, 1873

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,081
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

I dunno Justin. Many good godly men have preached to many deaf ears, so does the blame always rest only on the pulpit? Some maybe. 

Possibly a similar way to look at this is to examine Christians who shirk their responsibilities. All Christians. Not only the payed ones preaching behind pulpits.

No doubt false teachers will mislead droves of people. Those pretend preachers and prophets.

Even if everyone did their jobs well there would still be plenty who would go the wrong way.

It was put to me once the idea that if the Lord told me to speak to someone and I passed it up, if that person ended up in hell. Would that be my responsibility? More likely, I would be held to answer for it. The Lord would still make a way for that person through some other means to accept Him since ALL men will have no excuse before Him if they reject Him. I see these callings as opportunities and responsibilities if and when they come along.

Larger concentrations of Christian people in an area seem to usually be blessed. They in turn bless others from what I have seen, yet this is a residual effect on outward blessing and community stability that has no individual eternal consequence for lost souls.

I see the pulpit as primarily calling to the saved with maybe a few curious involved unsaved stragglers. The larger ministry is out there, outside of the church I think.

The evangelist OTOH is a sort of structured point to point missionary. Sometimes they visit churches in an attempt to shake a few of them out of their stupors. The church...the pulpit has lately been reaching out through streamed services more and more as a result of COVID, taking on a dual role of both missionary, evangelist and local preacher. The success of this can only be measured in the genuine interest it generates. Some weeks there's a small number of people who actually dropped buy to listen, and a few of them were absentee members. Actual effectiveness is minimal IMO as compared to personal one on one ministry from Christians to the world in real time.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  1

We are all called to be salt and light. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

19 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

RESPONSIBILITY: Brethren, our preaching will bear its legitimate fruits. If immorality prevails in the land, the fault is ours in a great degree. If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discrimination, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in religion, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that the very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it. Let us not ignore this fact, my dear brethren; but let us lay it to heart, and be thoroughly awake to our responsibility in respect to the morals of this nation. --Charles G. Finney, December 4, 1873

Do away with pulpits then if they are such a problem . . .

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

On 3/30/2021 at 6:40 AM, Justin Adams said:

I see the point, those who teach will receive a stricter judgment, and if they are leading others astray they will have more to answer for.  Though everyone will be judged for their own part.....when the priests bear rule by their means, and the people love to have it so,  'the people' will have to answer for themselves as well. 

The whole idea of pulpits and 'pulpit ministry' is an invention of man to start with, in departing from the simplicity of Christ.  So no wonder it eventually leads astray and produces fruit that God didn't intend.    He wants the whole Body to be lifted up and functioning with all its gifts, not just one gift functioning in a way that keeps all the others from functioning.  The right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing applies to everyone including leadership, as well as the concept of being hidden in Christ.  Maybe we could say it applies especially to them since they are to lead by setting the example.  Shepherds in the middle east lead their flocks from behind, that is something to think about.  We've been doing things all wrong in the churches for so long.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

May I suggest a good book to read?

'The Torch of the Testimony'  John W. Kennedy

It will both educate on church history and provide encouragement...and perspective.

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 3/30/2021 at 4:40 AM, Justin Adams said:

If immorality prevails in the land, the fault is ours in a great degree.

Tell that to Noah, who preached repentance for 120 years. And the result? 8 souls saved.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 10 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

I have said for a long time. 

"On the day after the Great Rapture. Churches will be filled with pew sitters and in some cases led by their pastors, looking around and wondering what in the world just happened? " 

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  11

11 hours ago, Bluedragon said:

I have said for a long time. 

"On the day after the Great Rapture. Churches will be filled with pew sitters and in some cases led by their pastors, looking around and wondering what in the world just happened? " 

What is the Great Rapture? :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

7 hours ago, Selah7 said:

What is the Great Rapture? :whistling:

:vacuum: