IGNORED

Timothy had ailments? Why wasn't he healed?

Whyme

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  10

What is your opinion of this scripture? If he had ailments why didnt they anoint his head and pray over him, and heal him?

1 Timothy 5:23 Do not go on drinking only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The sign gifts wane as we read the later epistles~ (the letters were already being circulated as Scripture even so as God says)

2 Tim 3:15-17

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
KJV

Perfection of the Word of God begets perfection thus fulfilling

1 Cor 13:10

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
KJV

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

It wasn't God's will for him to be healed.
As it wasn't God's will for Paul to be healed.

Sidenote. When christians go out to pray for unbelievers to heal. And when the success rate is rather low. I will question whether they are doing God's will.I believe when it is God's will for someone to be healed, the succes rate should be 100%.
Why would God command christians to go heal people with such a low succes rate? Does it glorify God?
I can't see in scripture that it is God's will for christians nowadays to do so.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

As we read what Paul was saying to Timothy we have the same info as every one else. Jesus is alive and well and all the gifts still work. It may come as some shock but the 12 were just like you and me. What you and I eat drink can effect us. It was WAY different back then with food/water.  Most never touched wine. 

As believers in Christ jumping to the negative first is not what we do.  So instead of saying God didn't heal him or the like.. why not run with maybe after he got Pauls letter and did what Paul said that.. then the next morning his stomach was all well. We know every healing Jesus did was not written. We know every person the 12/120/3000 prayed for is not written. 

The one with Paul really .. I have never in 60 years had some sickness that buffeted me. So OP :) look into that verse what the greek says and what others wrote about it. You will find .. we don't know. It can mean just feebleness.. to me since his stomach was bothering him maybe he was not eating. <---that right there is just speculation. Its not whats written. 

Again all in the word are just like you and me. what we do hear see eat on and on effects us. And when done wrong has a price in this world. But call on the elders of the church.. you WILL be healed and forgiven of any sin. And lay hands on the sick and they SHALL recover. GOD said that.. He can't lie :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, Wesley L said:

Sidenote. When christians go out to pray for unbelievers to heal. And when the success rate is rather low. I will question whether they are doing God's will.I believe when it is God's will for someone to be healed, the succes rate should be 100%.
Why would God command christians to go heal people with such a low succes rate? Does it glorify God?
I can't see in scripture that it is God's will for christians nowadays to do so.

Have you considered why Jesus could not do much in His hometown?  It obviously would be His will do to so, but why couldn't He?

Mark 6:1-6

Then He went out from there and came to His own country, and His disciples followed Him.  And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!  Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon?  And are not His sisters here with us?”  So they were offended at Him.

But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.”  Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.  And He marveled because of their unbelief. Then He went about the villages in a circuit, teaching.

How much do you see faith playing a part in healing?  If Jesus couldn't do much because of their unbelief, why should we expect others to be able to do more if the faith is not there?

Edited by OneLight
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

1Tim 5:23  No longer drink water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine oft infirmities.

Personally I suspect that Timothy was a sickly person - not everybody is blessed with robust good health.

Timothy may have overly fasted. Wine may have enough grape juice content to give some nutrition. It may have also been considered less suss than water from a well, etc. 

And we do not know if he was healed or not. he certainly went on to become a bishop of the church.

I have osteo-arthritis which at time is debilitating and painful yet I do not take any medication for this. I just rely on my God to bless and look after me. And he does allowing me to still do gardening and housework and shopping. At other times I have had a specific illness or pain and God has healed me instantly. I just pray and leave it in God's hands. 

Edited by Waggles
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, OneLight said:

How much do you see faith playing a part in healing?  If Jesus couldn't do much because of their unbelief, why should we expect others to be able to do more if the faith is not there?

The idea that God has to heal a person, because A) they asked Him to, and B) they are expecting Him to (faith) is an assumption made by many. It is unfair to compare the people of Jesus' home town to people today, because Jesus knew the hearts of the people in His hometown. We, Christians, today can NOT see into a person's heart as Jesus can and know for certain that they lack faith.

Lack of healing, is not proof of lack of faith.  For there are many people that sincerely believe, but aren't healed. Joni Erickson Tada who was in her lifetime a quadriplegic, is an excellent example.   And to be told "you don't believe enough", "have to completely believe, or it won't happen" has caused more harm and emotional pain by well-meaning Christians.

Just as the blind man in John 9:1-3 was not blind because of anything he or his parents did, but to bring glory to God. It is in the same with people not being healed. We don't know why some are healed and others are not.  Perhaps God has other blessings in mind for those not healed.

We are to have faith in God’s goodness, even when circumstances make it difficult and for reasons we do not understand. And we are to trust Him to know what is best for us and do best by us. We walk by faith, trusting God who redeemed us in Christ and promises the resurrection of the body.

Matthew 18:8-9

If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.  And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The apostle paul had a thorn in his side...contrary to the feel good prosperity doctrines pushed by false preachers such as Osteen, being a Christian does not mean everything will go good for you in this life. It doesnt mean if your faith is strong you will be healed, or have wealth, etc. 

On the contrary we will face all the same hardships as everyone else-if not more. We live in a fallen world, we are fallen beings. God does not always bring healing. Whatever He does, He does to further His kingdom. He doesnt promise us a pain free life, he just promises us that He will be there for us no matter what.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

28 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

The apostle paul had a thorn in his side...contrary to the feel good prosperity doctrines pushed by false preachers such as Osteen, being a Christian does not mean everything will go good for you in this life. It doesnt mean if your faith is strong you will be healed, or have wealth, etc. 

On the contrary we will face all the same hardships as everyone else-if not more. We live in a fallen world, we are fallen beings. God does not always bring healing. Whatever He does, He does to further His kingdom. He doesnt promise us a pain free life, he just promises us that He will be there for us no matter what.

Totally agree. He helps us through our problems, the first church I went to as a born again Christian preached that  if you are not healed, you lack faith. I even got to the point where I criticized people like Joni Earekson Tada who has reached more people for Christ as a Quadriplegic, than I could reach in 10 life times.

Needless to say God grabbed be by my ear and dragged me back on the path and I stopped going to that church

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

13 hours ago, Whyme said:

What is your opinion of this scripture? If he had ailments why didnt they anoint his head and pray over him, and heal him?

1 Timothy 5:23 Do not go on drinking only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

Maybe the wine was enough. little wine is actually beneficial for many things, good for heart, balance blood sugars diabetes, Anti-inflammatory, promotes healthy gut helps sensitive stomach and a whole list of things. Just a thought might of been diabetic surely they didn’t have insulin so maybe an old remedy 

Edited by BeyondET