IGNORED

Battle of the mind, overcoming the flesh

Whyme

Guest clancy
12 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned[e] and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

It’s a Joy to see the Love you have for the Lord, Whyme, God Bless You.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  10

2 minutes ago, clancy said:

It’s a Joy to see the Love you have for the Lord, Whyme, God Bless You.

He loves me far more than i can love Him right now. Im unworthy. But thats what makes Him a good God. May the Lord help me, turn my eyes away from worthless things. There are things im praying about. Lord help me. 

1 minute ago, Josheb said:

Yes, it does. It also says the things of the Spirit are foolishness to the natural man and he cannot understand them He can think about them but he can't understand them; the are foolishness to him. The fleshly mind can think about the matters of the Spirit all it likes but it does not and cannot please God. 

Yes scripture does say that. However, love can be fleshly manifested. That kind of love does not overcome the flesh. 

Cannot be done. Nor can I can show you a spiritual human mind that loves like God. 

I completely agree. ALL of this was covered in previous posts. You have done nothing but unnecessarily repeat already-posted content..... 

....in avoidance of the question asked of you.

They, and the Bible say you should answer the question asked. 

How do you read a book and know that you are not distracted by error? 

I have many battles of the mind each day. I have peace that Paul promised when he said think about pure, lovely and true thoughts. But I still have a battle in my mind so I remind myself, or perhaps God reminds me, to empty my mind of impure thoughts, lies, and unlovely and unpraiseworthy things. But if I don't do that, I fear I would fall.. I am in no way perfect at this, but I'm fighting the good fight, and growing.

Here is a battle i fight in my heart and mind. When i have anxious thoughts i remember this scripture and as a result my peace is intact. But what if i instead entertained anxious thoughts? Would i still have that peace?

Philippians 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.

How does one keep their heart?

Proverbs 4:23 Keep your heart with all vigilance,
    for from it flow the springs of life.

How do we do this?

Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Edited by Whyme

Ephesians 4:22 to put off your old self,[a] which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

How do we put off the old and put on the new? 

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” 1

Edited by Whyme
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Is it your practice to use only some of God's word? Do you commonly select only one or two verses out of a larger passage and apply only that part which has been extricated? Where did you learn that practice because I have read my Bible from beginning to end many, many, many, many, many times and never once have I ever read scripture instruct anyone to do that. Why has this one verse been selected, removed from all else the passage says and proof-texted it as a treatment for anxiety? W

I keep reading how you don't need any book but the Bible but I also continue to read 1) the Bible being abused, and 2) questions about these abused repeatedly going unanswered. This is important because there may be some reading these posts who are not as mature as you or I and think that one verse is both the way to handle scripture and the way to handle anxiety. 

How do you read a book and know that you are not distracted by error?

Why was Philippians 4:6 selected as a treatment for anxiety when the passage says much more than just that one verse?

What are you talking about?

Edited by Whyme

7 minutes ago, Josheb said:

How do you, Whyme, read a book and know that you are not distracted by error?

You can start a thread on it.

23 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Is it your practice to use only some of God's word? Do you commonly select only one or two verses out of a larger passage and apply only that part which has been extricated? Where did you learn that practice because I have read my Bible from beginning to end many, many, many, many, many times and never once have I ever read scripture instruct anyone to do that. Why has this one verse been selected, removed from all else the passage says and proof-texted it as a treatment for anxiety? 

Why has that one verse picked and removed it from its larger passage as the treatment for anxiety?

It helps my anxiety. I remember that scripture and i wait on God. God restores my soul. 

Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.