About Zephaniah

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  275
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

I have so many questions when I read the bible. One of those questions came after I read this chapter. 2 Kings 25:18
[18]The commander of the guard took as prisoners Seraiah the chief priest, Zephaniah the priest next in rank and the three doorkeepers.
My question is why were Zephaniah and Seraiah kill weren't they good priest? I think the answer is sometime bad things happen to good people as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Zephaniah wrote one of the books of the Old Testament, so I think he was a good priest.    Many of the people in the OT were killed because they were good, just as evil people today hate people who are godly.  Jesus said we would be treated the way people treated Him.  That is one of those exceedingly great and precious promises that most of us would like to forget.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

1 hour ago, mercy100 said:

I have so many questions when I read the bible. One of those questions came after I read this chapter. 2 Kings 25:18
[18]The commander of the guard took as prisoners Seraiah the chief priest, Zephaniah the priest next in rank and the three doorkeepers.
My question is why were Zephaniah and Seraiah kill weren't they good priest? I think the answer is sometime bad things happen to good people as well. 

As the last few verses of ch24 says and Zedekiah did evil in the sight of the Lord.

These priests were among this kings advisors and in the corporate view of society of the ancient world, shared the blame for the king's evil.

They were among those who encouraged the king to rebell against Nebuchadnezzar, they opposed Jeremiah the prophet so we're punished.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,002
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Zephaniah will be resurrected.

"Israels dead men shall rise, together with my dead body shall they arise" Isaiah 26:19

"In that day the Lord with His strong and severe sword (His mouth)
shall punish Leviathan.. and He shall slay the Dragon" Isaiah 27:1  [Revelation 19:7-21]

"Come from the four winds, Oh breath of life, and breath upon these slain, that they may live,
and they stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army" Ezekiel 37:9-10  [Jude 1:14-15, Rev 19:14-17]

"He will send forth His angels, and they shall gather together His chosen ones,
from the four winds" Matthew 24:31

"I will open up your graves, and bring you up out of your graves,
and bring you into the land of Israel" Ezekiel 37:12 
[It's a clear prophesy concerning resurrection, as demonstrated by Christ]

"And David my servant shall be a king among them" Ezekiel 37:24

"David whom I will raise up unto them" Jeremiah 30:9 [resurrection] 

"Therefore my flesh shall rest in hope, for you will not leave my soul in Sheol" Psalm 16:10

-------

There are perhaps two Zephaniah's

"Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah" Jeremiah 21:2 which we can conclude is the same from 2 Kings 25.

And "Zephaniah the son of Cushi" Zephaniah 1:1 who lived during the reign of Josiah; 2 Kings 22:1.

Edited by Desopixi Seilynam
Two Zephaniah's
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

10 hours ago, mercy100 said:

Without going back and studying the part of the Bible you are referring to, remember that bad people sometimes kill good people because good people interfere with the plans of bad people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 4/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, mercy100 said:

There are many Proverbs, Psalms and prophecy writings that "bad things happen to [relatively] good people, too".

NO ONE goes to Heaven without being PERFECT. Trust Jesus today for perfection when He comes to judge!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  275
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

I really appreciate every input on this subject. I know God has a reason for everything, and everything He does is right. It's just one of those questions that I have always wondered about.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 4/22/2021 at 1:02 AM, Who me said:

As the last few verses of ch24 says and Zedekiah did evil in the sight of the Lord.

These priests were among this kings advisors and in the corporate view of society of the ancient world, shared the blame for the king's evil.

They were among those who encouraged the king to rebell against Nebuchadnezzar, they opposed Jeremiah the prophet so we're punished.

Oops...

Zephaniah not Zedekiah...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

16 hours ago, JohnD said:

Oops...

Zephaniah not Zedekiah...

Read it again.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/08/1978

I believe Who me was saying these priests (Zephaniah and Seraiah) were among this king’s (Zedekiah’s) advisors and shared the blame for his evil. I was confused at first too. LoL. 

Edited by FrankIeCip
  • Thumbs Up 2