• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

7 hours ago, Paul James said:

Therefore the use of 'we' could refer to one's particular faith group, which could or could not include the use of the gift of tongues.

So, your 'you' comment is making an assumption that may not be true.

Could....   May....    that's the point.  You leave your statement up to what the reader wants to include.   It is your responsibility to make sure the person listening/reading understands what you are saying/writing.

Yeah, I'm being picky.   It's what you get by pushing one of my pet peeve buttons.  LoL.

BTW I do have a prayer tongue that the Spirit uses for intercessory prayer occasionally.   I didn't ask for it, but don't think it is my place to ask to remove it.   I also can't control when it comes either....   and I still don't understand why it seems to be necessary.  

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

45 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

This doesn’t even address the issue I have brought up... which is where is the foundational trust is being placed? It is not The Word of God because you don’t even know what is being said thus excluding the mind... so where is the foundational trust being generated it is in the intuitions and feelings and no where in God’s Word are we to place trust in that...

You do not know what your praying thus how can you know to whom you are praying?

Still not addressing the issue of present day tongues and where lies the trust foundation...

Rom. 8:26 (NAS20S)   Now in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Paul was aware of this reality and the folks he is writing to were aware of this reality.

Intuition--feelings? No of course not. This is the work of the Lord in His Body and ultimately for His own sake and purposes, just as is everything else related to the Kingdom.

The verses that you use to naysay tongues and other gifts simply do not say what you want them to say. Some things that His people experience will cease, but those verses simply do not say when. And they certainly don't say they will end when Paul dies, or Peter dies, or Apollos dies, or Timothy, or Titus--or Polycarp.

I base my understanding first on scripture and then on experience that confirms what scripture plainly states. I don't imagine or insert.

Be careful when talking about what spirit it may be that your brethren are dealing with. That is not good for you.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Out of all the gifts, tongues is the one gift that is most controversial.  Let's look at the list of gifts from 1 Corinthians 12.

• word of wisdom
  • word of knowledge
  • faith
  • healings
  • working of miracles
  • prophecy
  • discerning of spirits
  • different kinds of tongues
  • interpretation of tongues

Word of wisdom, word of knowledge, faith, prophecy and discerning of spirits can be tested over time through observation.  Healings and working of miracles can be tested physically.  The only two that cannot be tested without doubt is different kinds of tongues and interpretation of tongues, while the former is the hardest to test, the latter can be set beside scripture to see if there is any conflict. 

The fact that tongues cannot be tested with certainty is why tongues is the most abused gift of all, as they can be fake, yet they also can be a true gift from the Holy Spirit.  Don't let anyone discourage you from seeking the Holy Spirits will in your life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Intuition--feelings? No of course not. This is the work of the Lord in His Body and ultimately for His own sake and purposes, just as is everything else related to the Kingdom.

We’re not even at the point of contention here - brother if the mind is not being used what is left that affirms that the spirit is of God?

3 hours ago, Alive said:

Be careful when talking about what spirit it may be that your brethren are dealing with. That is not good for you.

1 John 4:1 (KJV) [1] Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
You are saying the practice of this is wrong?

3 hours ago, Alive said:

I base my understanding first on scripture and then on experience that confirms what scripture plainly states. I don't imagine or insert.

The fact is you cannot base it upon Scripture for the mind is not utilized in the practice thus there is no way to examine the spirit of the thing yet God says we are to try the spirits.... this is the pin point of the issue not that it is spoken of in God’s Word but the thing itself presently being called tongues bypasses in practice any examination and that’s the problem.... now if it’s languages that can be checked, if it’s interpreted that can be checked but the majority of what is being practiced in the Charismatic Movement cannot be examined as such it cannot be said where it is from...

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I will say this an shut up... it is clear the Bible says our only foundation is God’s Word and that The Holy Spirit uses it solely as communication to perfect us
2 Timothy 3:15-17 (KJV) [15] And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
[17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
The majority of tongues presented by the Charismatic Movement bypasses any and all Scripture in the examination of itself .... if this doesn’t cause the children to have pause and further investigate beyond I think of feel as the foundation for it’s validity  within the individual.... then what will?

• Alive locked this topic