Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Matthew 24:38 (KJV) For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, Luke 17:26 (KJV) And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. 27.  They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. 28.  Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;

I’ve wondered why Jesus had to go back so far in history to cite His prophecy, surely there were more recent historical examples of marrying and prosperous times? Jesus mentions they were marrying and giving in marriage in the days of Noe. The Lord omits this activity in the days of Lot, another distinction. I may be incorrect, and reading something into what is not there, but “marrying and given in marriage” seem to be a division? I read “giving in marriage” as the traditional father giving away his daughter to a man for wedlock. Does “marrying” as it is repeated twice, mean any other type of sexual unions, such as homosexuality or concubinage?

One other distinction between the days of Noah and Lot I have noticed, that I do not know if they are scripturally connected or not is “strange flesh.” In Genesis 6:4 you have the sons of God (spiritual beings) having relations with human women. In the days of Lot, you have homosexual men trying to have relations with angels (spiritual beings), a turnaround. Do you have any thoughts on this, or am I reading too much into this?

• Praise God! 2

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Dennis!

I think you are reading a bit too much into it-lol    Jesus is merely pointing out that these folks just continued to go about everyday life just as if there were no tomorrow.   Jesus is warning us not to make this sane mistake but to be "ready" at any given moment    The  people in both Noahs day & Lots time were just having a grande ole time living like hellions too ,having no clue that it would all come to a very sudden & unexpected HALT and they would face the Wrath of God  This is the  reason Jesus used those 2 times as examples is because they were both catastrophic events that happened in an instant!

The 2 things said"marrying & giving in marriage" means that some were marrying themselves & some were giving their children away in marraige-business as usual    When Jesus Returns it will be the same,it will be like just another ordinary day in the life   We must live each and every moment  as though it is our last(though it will be our  FIRST-lol) Praise Jesus!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

My own take on scriptures like this is that you can misinterpret it but nothing wrong with reading a bit too much into it, as long as you get the main gist of what is being said. And sometimes there are hidden meanings in passages such as this but that is for the individual to discover for themselves. Such as some interpretations I have heard that this "marrying" is referring to the return of the fallen angels who are once again seeking women to mate with, just as in those days which is why God sent the flood to destroy the offspring that was created.

But i do believe that these "days of Noah" also include the time period he was on the ark, but again that is something someone needs to learn about on their own to be fully convinced, especially one who believes in the pre-trib rapture which is a subject i refuse to debate about or even discuss, since it is always in vain. 

Edited by CaptWalker
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

But i do believe that these "days of Noah" also include the time period he was on the ark, but again that is something someone needs to learn about on their own to be fully convinced, especially one who believes in the pre-trib rapture which is a subject i refuse to debate about or even discuss, since it is always in vain. 

Of course, we all have our own interpretations and hermeneutics of scripture. How boring would it be if everyone agreed on everything? My own thoughts: Enoch was "removed" prior to the judgment of God. While Noah & family were lifted up and protected from the judgment. I'm sure you are familiar with the symbology that it could represent, so, I'll not elaborate. 

Yep, I've found talking about the timing of the Rapture unproductive and a cause for heated arguments on here too. It also makes it very difficult to discuss end-time prophecy with all the views of the timing of the Rapture. If I'm talking about something that is Rapture related, I try to remember to put a "Pre-trib? tag on it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

After Jesus explained to His disciples what would take place at the end of the age, during the tribulation, and at His second coming, He gives several illustrations of what the end of the age and His coming will be like. In one of those illustrations, Jesus says that the coming of the Son of Man will be “as it was in the days of Noah” (Matthew 24:37).

Before Jesus compares His coming to the days of Noah, He illustrates His coming with a parable of the fig tree. By observing the growth of the fig tree one can determine that summer is near (Matthew 24:32). In the same way, by observing the signs (the things Jesus mentioned in the earlier part of the chapter), one can recognize that His coming is near (Matthew 24:33). The generation of people who are alive when these things begin to happen will see them completed (Matthew 24:34), as they will happen swiftly. And, while Jesus’ words are totally reliable (Matthew 24:35), He said at that time that no one knows exactly when the events will take place except for His Father (Matthew 24:36).

Against the backdrop of the fig tree illustration, Jesus says that the coming of the Son of Man will be “as the days of Noah were” (Matthew 24:37, NKJV). This is an important statement for several reasons. First, Jesus identifies Himself as the “Son of Man,” the one in Daniel 7:13–14 who is given an eternal kingdom. With that identification Jesus is claiming to be the rightful King over all. When the King—the Son of Man—comes, it will be as in the days of Noah. In those days, the people were going about their lives, eating, drinking, and marrying, until the flood came swiftly (Matthew 24:38). They were ignorant about what was coming until it came upon them and took them away (Matthew 24:39). In the same way, when Christ returns to earth as the Son of Man—the King—He will bring judgment with Him. Even though the signs of His coming will be obvious to anyone who is paying attention, apparently few will be looking.

It is worth noting that, while there are some similarities between the event Jesus describes in Matthew 24 and the event we call the “rapture” (1 Thessalonians 4:13–17), these are two different events. The events of Matthew 24 result in Christ coming to earth with people being taken in judgment, while the rapture event has Christ only coming to the clouds and taking up people to be in heaven. The rapture event takes place before the tribulation period described in Matthew 24 (as the rapture in 1 Thessalonians 4 precedes the day of the Lord in 1 Thessalonians 5), and the coming of Jesus in Matthew 24 occurs after the tribulation period (Matthew 24:29–31).

Even though Jesus’ coming would not be during the lifetime of the people He was addressing in Matthew 24, He prepares them for what would take place so they would be on the alert because of the certainty of the events and the uncertainty (from their perspective) of the timing (Matthew 24:42). Jesus provides His listeners an outline of the future so they will know that God’s plans will come to fruition and that He has given His disciples a stewardship with which to be faithful. We also need a sense of urgency. Even if these prophesied events don’t begin to happen in our lifetime, we have only a limited time to use for Him. We should strive to make the most of the time He has given us (Ephesians 5:16). The coming of the Son of Man will be as it was in the days of Noah.

https://www.gotquestions.org/coming-Son-of-Man-days-of-Noah.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Dennis!

I think you are reading a bit too much into it-lol    Jesus is merely pointing out that these folks just continued to go about everyday life just as if there were no tomorrow.   Jesus is warning us not to make this sane mistake but to be "ready" at any given moment    The  people in both Noahs day & Lots time were just having a grande ole time living like hellions too ,having no clue that it would all come to a very sudden & unexpected HALT and they would face the Wrath of God  This is the  reason Jesus used those 2 times as examples is because they were both catastrophic events that happened in an instant!

The 2 things said"marrying & giving in marriage" means that some were marrying themselves & some were giving their children away in marraige-business as usual    When Jesus Returns it will be the same,it will be like just another ordinary day in the life   We must live each and every moment  as though it is our last(though it will be our  FIRST-lol) Praise Jesus!

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Afternoon there Kwik!

No debate here, and I agree with your thoughts. However, from the time of Shem, Ham, and Japheth; until the silent years between the Testaments and the Messiah's birth. Secular history and the Bible describe plenty of periods of prosperity and business as usual, that Jesus could have chosen. Sudden devastating judgment fell upon individuals, Israel, Judah and other nations throughout the Old Testament. There were also plenty of times the kings and Judah - Israel were very evil and wicked, and the nations were totally idolatrous and worshipped other gods. 

I have a difficult time reconciling in my mind, why Jesus had to go so far back in history, to describe what the world will be like prior to His return? There appears to be something out of the ordinary occurring during these periods of biblical history. 

What was so different in the days of Noah, where everyone's hearts were continually evil, that the Lord had to destroy everything with the breath of life, and start fresh all over again? Naturally we are not explicitly told, but the Lord also destroyed every animal with nostrils and a windpipe. The Lord could have easily been selective, as with the "death angel" of the 10th Exodus plague, and killing 100,000+ Assyrians overnight (in an instant)? But the Lord selected to start from scratch, with the exception of aquatic life. 

Ahab, Jezebel and all of Israel were having a grand ole time also. Would you agree or disagree, that there were many periods in history, that Jesus could have chosen that fit His description of the world leading up to His return? Why did Jesus have to go more than 2,344 years back in history to make His point? 

I am trying to logically reason these things out in my mind, to get the big picture and a better understanding. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  0

Marriage basically means to join two people, or two items together. In the case for Noe and the future, when marriage is commonplace, simply means fornication will be rampant.

34 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

After Jesus explained to His disciples what would take place at the end of the age, during the tribulation, and at His second coming, He gives several illustrations of what the end of the age and His coming will be like. In one of those illustrations, Jesus says that the coming of the Son of Man will be “as it was in the days of Noah” (Matthew 24:37).

Before Jesus compares His coming to the days of Noah, He illustrates His coming with a parable of the fig tree. By observing the growth of the fig tree one can determine that summer is near (Matthew 24:32). In the same way, by observing the signs (the things Jesus mentioned in the earlier part of the chapter), one can recognize that His coming is near (Matthew 24:33). The generation of people who are alive when these things begin to happen will see them completed (Matthew 24:34), as they will happen swiftly. And, while Jesus’ words are totally reliable (Matthew 24:35), He said at that time that no one knows exactly when the events will take place except for His Father (Matthew 24:36).

Against the backdrop of the fig tree illustration, Jesus says that the coming of the Son of Man will be “as the days of Noah were” (Matthew 24:37, NKJV). This is an important statement for several reasons. First, Jesus identifies Himself as the “Son of Man,” the one in Daniel 7:13–14 who is given an eternal kingdom. With that identification Jesus is claiming to be the rightful King over all. When the King—the Son of Man—comes, it will be as in the days of Noah. In those days, the people were going about their lives, eating, drinking, and marrying, until the flood came swiftly (Matthew 24:38). They were ignorant about what was coming until it came upon them and took them away (Matthew 24:39). In the same way, when Christ returns to earth as the Son of Man—the King—He will bring judgment with Him. Even though the signs of His coming will be obvious to anyone who is paying attention, apparently few will be looking.

It is worth noting that, while there are some similarities between the event Jesus describes in Matthew 24 and the event we call the “rapture” (1 Thessalonians 4:13–17), these are two different events. The events of Matthew 24 result in Christ coming to earth with people being taken in judgment, while the rapture event has Christ only coming to the clouds and taking up people to be in heaven. The rapture event takes place before the tribulation period described in Matthew 24 (as the rapture in 1 Thessalonians 4 precedes the day of the Lord in 1 Thessalonians 5), and the coming of Jesus in Matthew 24 occurs after the tribulation period (Matthew 24:29–31).

Even though Jesus’ coming would not be during the lifetime of the people He was addressing in Matthew 24, He prepares them for what would take place so they would be on the alert because of the certainty of the events and the uncertainty (from their perspective) of the timing (Matthew 24:42). Jesus provides His listeners an outline of the future so they will know that God’s plans will come to fruition and that He has given His disciples a stewardship with which to be faithful. We also need a sense of urgency. Even if these prophesied events don’t begin to happen in our lifetime, we have only a limited time to use for Him. We should strive to make the most of the time He has given us (Ephesians 5:16). The coming of the Son of Man will be as it was in the days of Noah.

https://www.gotquestions.org/coming-Son-of-Man-days-of-Noah.html

This is a very good explanation and I appreciate it, thank you. I am not arguing or debating this article, I believe it is correct. But, let me bring up but one comparable example of several, namely, the handwriting is on the wall. What doesn't fit below, that Jesus was describing before His return? 

Unexpected judgment fell on Babylon and King Belshazzar suddenly. What were the king and all his court doing? Eating, drinking, marrying, building, business as usual. They also were not looking for or expecting sudden judgment, in the form of the Medes that the Lord used. 

As in the days of Noe and Lot, what happened to King Belshazzar and his entire administration? They were all executed. Though Babylon was not physically destroyed or the population murdered, they became the subjects of the Medo-Persian empire. Babylon as an empire was overthrown and completely destroyed overnight. 

If, Jesus would have said, "As it was in the days of Belshazzar..." Would that also be a fit to His meaning?

You know what? Maybe all this isolation is finally getting to me :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Kwik gave a good response. The flood in Noah's day was God's judgment upon the whole world as a whole, and not just limited to a region or specific people. It affected every living thing. The people in that day were caught off guard and taken by surprise so to speak. The point Jesus is making is that there will be another judgment coming upon the whole world, that will also take the world as a whole by surprise just as God's judgment in Noah's day did. And it will affect all of creation not just humans.

The judgments in the days of the kings didn't affect the whole globe or other living creatures as Noah's flood did. Jesus is pointing out that just as Noah's flood was a day of swift and devastating judgment so will there be a time like it again in the future. A day of devastating judgment. And the world will not go out with a bang, but a whimper.

2 Peter 3:7-10
By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.  But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.  The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

9 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Ahab, Jezebel and all of Israel were having a grand ole time also. Would you agree or disagree, that there were many periods in history, that Jesus could have chosen that fit His description of the world leading up to His return? Why did Jesus have to go more than 2,344 years back in history to make His point? 

I am trying to logically reason these things out in my mind, to get the big picture and a better understanding. 

Blessings again Brother & Good Morning-

Its so funny,I logged on today & saw that appy took the words right out of my mouth!!!

6 hours ago, appy said:

The judgments in the days of the kings didn't affect the whole globe or other living creatures as Noah's flood did. Jesus is pointing out that just as Noah's flood was a day of swift and devastating judgment so will there be a time like it again in the future. A day of devastating judgment. And the world will not go out with a bang, but a whimper.

To answer your question-yes,I agree there where so many references of the wicked having a grande ole time (in most every period of time from the beginning up til present day) And true,unexpected Judgement fell upon them    What doesnt fit is what appy brought attention to......GLOBAL,not isolated REGIONS    

When the time comes & Jesus Returns it will not be like anything anyone could imagine(just like the DAys of Noah)-all of the planet will be subject to Gods Judgement(Global Flood)......the Days of Lot were 2 city's of complete wickedness(& abominable acts that were "normal" to the Sodomites & Gemmorah ( Lot could not find 1 good/moral person in them to spare those Cities ,they were completely wicked/perverted/homesexual etc...)  He uses that example because the WHOLE WORLD will be as immoral as that and it will be considered "the norm"   (Society will accept & tolerate all those abomination)

With love-in Christ<Kwik

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1