Kids and Halloween

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  464
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not in the US and am pretty sure that Halloween isn't the kind of huge deal I believe it is in the States. Still, its here where I live but not to a huge degree.

My kids are 4 and 6. They've been doing some Halloween stuff in school. It seems pretty tame. Decorating pumpkins, making spiders etc. I'd rather they didn't do anything but it is what it is. I know how innocuous the day is.

The kids have been asked to dress up on Friday. As it's just one day, I'm letting my kids go as generic characters from their existing dress up box. My daughter has a Rapunzel costume and my son has Darth Vadar from Star Wars. I work in the school and will be wearing a pair of cat ears and that's as far as I will go. I'd rather not partake at all but feel like I can get around it without compromising too much. We wear dress up for other events such as World Book Day and we wear similar stuff.

When I was a child, my mother used to dress me up as a witch at Halloween and we would light a bonfire in our garden and I would pretend to cast spells. It was a huge deal. I ended up getting involved in New Age stuff, culminating in me reading tarot cards and trying to contact my 'spirit guides' later down the line.

My husband wants us to have a little party at home after school on Friday 'for Halloween'. When I tried raising my concerns about Halloween he was shocked that I took it seriously and exclaimed 'it's not real!'. He doesn't believe in a spiritual realm. To him, it's all just fun. I haven't said anything this year, yet.

Would it be so bad if my kids stayed in their costumes after school and had some generic, non-Halloween themed sweets and snacks and watched a normal kids movie as a compromise? 

I'm emotionally exhausted worrying about my kids spiritual development as the only believing parent. I don't know if I'm losing touch with God's will in my weariness and copping out, or if it really isn't a big deal. 

• Praying! 2

Insidious...not innocuous at all!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

27 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

I'm not in the US and am pretty sure that Halloween isn't the kind of huge deal I believe it is in the States. Still, its here where I live but not to a huge degree.

My kids are 4 and 6. They've been doing some Halloween stuff in school. It seems pretty tame. Decorating pumpkins, making spiders etc. I'd rather they didn't do anything but it is what it is. I know how innocuous the day is.

The kids have been asked to dress up on Friday. As it's just one day, I'm letting my kids go as generic characters from their existing dress up box. My daughter has a Rapunzel costume and my son has Darth Vadar from Star Wars. I work in the school and will be wearing a pair of cat ears and that's as far as I will go. I'd rather not partake at all but feel like I can get around it without compromising too much. We wear dress up for other events such as World Book Day and we wear similar stuff.

When I was a child, my mother used to dress me up as a witch at Halloween and we would light a bonfire in our garden and I would pretend to cast spells. It was a huge deal. I ended up getting involved in New Age stuff, culminating in me reading tarot cards and trying to contact my 'spirit guides' later down the line.

My husband wants us to have a little party at home after school on Friday 'for Halloween'. When I tried raising my concerns about Halloween he was shocked that I took it seriously and exclaimed 'it's not real!'. He doesn't believe in a spiritual realm. To him, it's all just fun. I haven't said anything this year, yet.

Would it be so bad if my kids stayed in their costumes after school and had some generic, non-Halloween themed sweets and snacks and watched a normal kids movie as a compromise? 

I'm emotionally exhausted worrying about my kids spiritual development as the only believing parent. I don't know if I'm losing touch with God's will in my weariness and copping out, or if it really isn't a big deal. 

I think your husband is blinded as to the darkness and the spiritual realm that is in this world. Is your husband a Christian? A true born again Christian? I think you should have a talk with your kids about the bad things in Halloween that they can understand. It is ok to dress them up as the characters you have chosen. I would pray to God about all of this that you are sharing on Worthy. It sounds like you need direction and God can give you that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My husband is an atheist. I got saved a few years into our marriage and he is unsaved, as yet. He thinks the concept of God is silly and made up, like the Tooth Fairy or Santa.

I have prayed and will continue to do so but I wanted to see what other believers thought. 

• Praying! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90

My wife and I have let out kids participate in Hallowe'en as we both did through our younger years. Neither of our parents nor anyone in our churches ever seemed concerned. Until I joined in another Christian forum years ago I had no idea there werr people with such strong negative opinions of Hallowe'en.

Edited by teddyv
Grammar
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

They're going to be exposed to it all their lives unless you have them all live in a cabin deep in the mountains. Use it as an opportunity to distinguish from just dressing up as a super hero and getting some candy from the neighbors, and the occult stuff they should avoid. They won't learn the difference if they don't learn it from you.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

I'm emotionally exhausted worrying about my kids spiritual development as the only believing parent.

What is your churches youth group doing about Halloween?

Do they have an alternative party laid on?

It is not a big deal for you and your family/friends to have a party, in fact use it. You'll help with the party arrangements and he will willingly come to your churches next family service.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,145
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

14 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

Blessings dove

Very nice to meet you and my heart goes out to you,no worries-I think you are doing a great "Mom" job!    I'm sure many will not agree but I do not think you are doing anything wrong by letting the kids dress up in generic outfits(& you,cat ears-lol)  

To be blunt,I've seen more harm done by over zealous "Christian" parents separating their kids,forbidding them to participate in school activities(for "religious" beliefs) ,banning TV,computers & so on & so on .....the more you make a big deal of very small matters the more kids get curious & want to try it out,imo!

Like you,I have a similar experience myself BUT I didn't raise my kid that way,the emphasis was always on "what the day to celebrate" really IS" or What it is NOT  and when he was old enough I explained "why"......my son NEVER missed out on getting candies or dressing up generically(a hobo,a puppy,lion or cat,a car crash victim(when he got older-lol)   But always it was to celebrate"the fall" & at c hurch we did "trunk or treat" in the parking lot for candy.....

I believe there is a way to "compromise" without compromising your Faith or your childs well being-its an awful thing to be the outcast kid at school but its okay to be the one that "chooses" to walk a different walk-in Christ! Praise Jesus! We,as parents ,have a job to do-to bring them up in Gods Word and to protect then FROM the world and also teach them to be IN the world.....there are happy mediums

Of course I think they should stay in costume,have fun at home while the ghosts & goblins are out on "hallows eve"......I taught mine that we don't do hallows eve but we sure do have JOY in our home-the Joy of our Lord!

Do your own thing,let them be kids & you be the Mom as our Lord Guides your heart

With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,387
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

14 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

My husband is an atheist. I got saved a few years into our marriage and he is unsaved, as yet. He thinks the concept of God is silly and made up, like the Tooth Fairy or Santa.

I have prayed and will continue to do so but I wanted to see what other believers thought. 

You have this blessing from God

1 Cor 7:13-14

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
KJV

pour yourself into your children's education of God... find a church home if you do not have one and get everyone praying for your husband...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

Yeah this is a tough one. Kinds only see the fun part of the day unless someone leads them in a dark direction. MOST kids enjoy dressing up, they enjoy the prospect of being with their friends and getting free candy. Several of our local churches make a safe place for the kids. It's probably more fun for them than trudging around for hours trying to get a few candy bars. We served free hot dogs, had a trunk or treat which is just candy on someone's trunk I guess? They see all of their friends. The parents can keep track of them. It's a good thing. The best thing is it isn't a members only sort of thing...anyone can come to these things. I would check around for churches in your area that might be offering similar. Just a thought.

Here'a few pics from one I attended not long ago.

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg