• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

47 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

I am glad that the writer of Hebrews in verse 10:24-25 said to not forsake the assembling together instead saying church. I would like to ask, if you spoke to a man and he became converted what organized church should he go to? Every new believer needs to fellowship and learn the Bible. The problem is that he may end up going to organized church that teaches well and preaches good sermons yet in so doing also teach a false doctren or other  peculeir befiefs. Maybe your own fellowship even. How do we know where to go? Im sure every order believes they are true. I've have already found myself in this boat that sails down the same river. 

We are to examine carefully what the sermons etc. are teaching, not believe blindly. Personal Bible study is crucial for this and many other reasons. Going to church once for a few hours a week will never be enough to really feed our souls and guard us from false teachers. We must do the work ourselves, while praying for God to open our eyes to the truth of His word.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, bibito3101991 said:

My question here, however, is to christians (although it would fit other religions, as well, although not always to the same extent): Instead of 'going to church', why not be an independent christian? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that?

Someone once asked why Church services are seemingly meant for Christians? Those already in the faith. 

Isn't it more fitting to minister the Good News to the unbelievers who would feel led to attend? Being as the converted already have accepted the Gospel.

While it would then be more fitting for the faithful to join, unite, in a church gathering dedicated to Bible study. Wherein, unlike a church sermon setting, questions can be asked and an educational atmosphere may then ensue.

Rather than as in church the learned pastor speaks their sermon of choice to the congregants, a Bible study allows everyone to openly question, advise, and learn from where they are currently in their own journey. 

I thought that a unique and valid observation.

Which leads also to answering the OP querry.

Ours is to be a relationship with God, our Creator. It's deeply intimate and personal. 

As such I feel the individual Christian should follow the leading of the inner Holy Spirit in such matters. 

If we don't feel called to a church, remain solitary in worship and communion with God. 

If called to join a church, do so. But never feel pressured to follow the herd. God knows our name, and the number of hairs on our head.

He knows where we are in mind and heart eternally. We're not separated from God if we're not one of many in a congregation. 

And as this and other such sites demonstrate, we can always find our way to community outside of a church structure. 

We are the church. We each are temples of and to God.

Don't be a joiner if it doesn't feel right. Because following the crowd can mean putting God's voice behind the call to conform.

Wow, that was a bit mouthy. I'll shut up now.??

Edited by Thornbird
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

1 hour ago, Thornbird said:

Someone once asked why Church services are seemingly meant for Christians? Those already in the faith. 

Isn't it more fitting to minister the Good News to the unbelievers who would feel led to attend? Being as the converted already have accepted the Gospel.

While it would then be more fitting for the faithful to join, unite, in a church gathering dedicated to Bible study. Wherein, unlike a church sermon setting, questions can be asked and an educational atmosphere may then ensue.

Rather than as in church the learned pastor speaks their sermon of choice to the congregants, a Bible study allows everyone to openly question, advise, and learn from where they are currently in their own journey. 

I thought that a unique and valid observation.

Which leads also to answering the OP querry.

Ours is to be a relationship with God, our Creator. It's deeply intimate and personal. 

As such I feel the individual Christian should follow the leading of the inner Holy Spirit in such matters. 

If we don't feel called to a church, remain solitary in worship and communion with God. 

If called to join a church, do so. But never feel pressured to follow the herd. God knows our name, and the number of hairs on our head.

He knows where we are in mind and heart eternally. We're not separated from God if we're not one of many in a congregation. 

And as this and other such sites demonstrate, we can always find our way to community outside of a church structure. 

We are the church. We each are temples of and to God.

Don't be a joiner if it doesn't feel right. Because following the crowd can mean putting God's voice behind the call to conform.

Wow, that was a bit mouthy. I'll shut up now.??

I like mouthy!

sometimes the Holy Spirit puts the pen to paper for me too ?

you never know where he might take me… I’m just along for the ride! ?

SHALOM❤️

• Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  204

3 minutes ago, MrBear said:

I like mouthy!

sometimes the Holy Spirit puts the pen to paper for me too ?

you never know where he might take me… I’m just along for the ride! ?

SHALOM❤️

??Amen and Shalom.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It's magnetic force, common to humans. They feel better, finding same minded ones. Call it herd instinct, or something. Nothing in the bible of Jesus teaching indicates to go to church.  Matter of fact, Jesus himself tells to do just exactly the opposite - pray in the darkness and seclusion of one's home (in one's heart).   The Lord's Prayer 5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…(what, to me, is reference to "speaking in tongues". And I witnessed just exactly that. That was quite a scary experience, and from the church elders)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

I just thought I would chime in here with some thoughts. There are advantages and pitfalls to both practices. It does not need to be an either/or decision. Why not do both, and get and give the advantages of corporate gathering, while learning and exercising discernment to avoid the problems of both?

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

Big difference between the religious leaders and someone today attending a church service. The sin the religious leaders committed, wasn't that their prayers were in public but because of the pretense and games they played.

Their attitudes and actions were hypocritical. Pharisees’ desire was to be seen by men as righteous, not really to talk to God. They pretended piety while stealing from widows and oppressing people. Jesus condemned their arrogance and hypocrisy. In other words, the sin lies in a person's motive.

The right attitude and right reason, we can indeed pray in public. Praying for prideful reasons only receives earthly rewards.  Jesus prayed publicly when he gave thanks for the fish and loaves of bread to the people not once, but twice. The whole chapter of John 17 is a public prayer said by Jesus

John 11 : 41 - 42
So they took away the stone. Then Jesus lifted His eyes upward and said, “Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.  I knew that You always hear Me, but I say this for the benefit of the people standing here, so they may believe that You sent Me.”

The above passage is Jesus praying publicly. The bible teaches us to come together for worship and prayer. Our motive for praying is key, even when we are alone behind closed doors.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  695
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  06/17/1973

That whole story was amazing

he waited before going to Lazarus’s tomb I believe not because he wanted people to suffer the loss

he himself wept which showed his human side?

But because he wanted people to witness the Resurrection and praying out loud for the people to hear was his way of telling people ‘this isn’t my doing but the Father I’m praying too’

so we see him Glorify God as he always made sure to do ❤️
then we see him pray privately in the Garden of gethsemane ?

Like people have said it’s your Heart that matters, we are never truly alone God is always with us

Its fine to have like minded people of Faith to be around that can strengthen and lift you up, But it’s not Mandatory as long as you devote time to Glorify our Father whether in good company or in your own Private space 

SHALOM❤️

Edited by MrBear

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

On 11/10/2021 at 3:21 PM, bibito3101991 said:

My question here, however, is to christians (although it would fit other religions, as well, although not always to the same extent): Instead of 'going to church', why not be an independent christian? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that?

My view:

We were created as social creatures. Adam was given Eve for a "help", a help for what?

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. [emphasis added]. How does one exhort themselves, by themselves?

The Lord Himself initiated and established the church. What is a church? It is not a building, but a "congregation" of people coming together with one unified belief and purpose. To go and tell, and serve our Lord and Savior. 

A church serves the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of the community in which it resides. Collective tithes and offerings pay the pastor and bills, and keeps the doors open, to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and serve the community in love. If a family wants a traditional Christian burial of a loved one, whom would they call to preside over the service? 

If a Christian is experiencing marital problems, demonic attacks, testing's, a loss of loved ones and emotional difficulties, needs counseling, etc. A dedicated man of God is there, and should be ready and available to work through them. Along with your loving family, your brothers and sisters in Christ.

James 5:16 (KJV) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

In this day and age, I understand why some Christians may think they need to be independent. It may not be as local as it once was; but there are still many Bible believing, Gospel preaching churches out there. That will welcome you with open arms and the love of Christ.

Romans 10:17 (KJV) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. [emphasis added]. 

We are sheep and the flock; Jesus is the good Shepard. A true Pastor, is a direct appointment and calling of God. Generally speaking, a pastor has a high calling and a gift from God. Like all the disciples throughout the ages, they are trained and educated for their duties and responsibilities. Pastors feed the flock. 

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 months later...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  0

Hebrews 10:25 mentions not to forsake fellowship.

Hebrews 10:25

1599 Geneva Bible

25 Not forsaking the fellowship that we have among ourselves, as the manner of some is: but let us exhort one another, [a]and that so much the more, because ye see that the day draweth near.