• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

26 minutes ago, Alive said:

One of the things that helps qualify that soon actually means soon rather than 'quickly or swiftly' is that other word in there--'near'.

When you combine them in the overall context and normal reading, it seems to me that one must consider that soon means soon.

Remember--this experiment requires no prior indoctrination.

Even the least educated in scripture realizes that God created all that is created, so when God says soon, they must realize He is speaking on His timeline, not ours.  Need no indoctrination to apply logic.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  271
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,292
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

8 hours ago, Alive said:

Let's consider a wee experiment. Make believe for a while that you are a new convert to Christ and you have no knowledge of various positions on eschatology. You are literate and pay attention to what you read--especially the bible, because you have come to understand it is God's word for us. You are hungry to learn and to understand. After a while you got around to reading Revelation.

What would you naturally conclude when you took notice of these verses in your reading. These verses included among all of the symbolism that makes your head spin? Remember, you have not been indoctrinated. Perhaps you are Chinese or a Muslim or a farmers child from Nebraska.

You have not yet asked your new pastor to explain.

You are now reading......

:-)

Rev. 1:1 (ESVS)  The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

Rev. 1:3 (ESVS) Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

Rev. 2:16 (ESVS) Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth.

Rev. 3:11 (ESVS) I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.

Rev. 11:14 (ESVS)    The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come.

Rev. 22:6 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”

Rev. 22:7 (ESVS)   “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”

Rev. 22:10 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.

Rev. 22:12 (ESVS)   “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.

Rev. 22:20 (ESVS)   He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Hi Alive,

That is why the Lord, the Head of His Body gave teachers etc (Eph. 4: 11) to equip the body for the work of the ministry.

The translators have used the word `soon,` whereas the Greek is `raxv tachu,` meaning suddenly by surprise. And that is what other scriptures say too. Thus we realise that when Jesus comes it will be SUDDENLY BY SURPRISE. it doesnot mean that he was coming soon after Revelation was written.

Other scriptures relate to the unveiling of the Lord as -

OVERVIEW: The Four Visions.                 

The predominant aim of Revelation is the setting forth the splendours of the Son of Man, & to reveal His glorious person.  There are four visions of the Son of Man as He is known in the heavenly realm & each vision in turn carries through to completion one aspect of the fourfold ministry of Christ which He exercised when on earth. His Kinship was expressed in Matthew, His Heirship in Mark, His Mediatorship in Luke, & His Judgeship in John.                                                                                                                                                                       

Vision 1. CHRIST -  Head of the Body.   (Rev. 1 – 3)

This reveals the empowered Son of Man as the Sovereign Administrator.

`in His right hand He held 7 stars.`

Vision 2.   CHRIST -   HEIR     (Rev. 4 – 7)

This reveals the enthroned Son of Man as the Supreme Executor.

`in His right hand He held the 7 sealed book.`

Vision 3.    CHRIST -  MEDIATOR       (Rev. 8 – 13)

This reveals the exalted Son of Man as the Stately Mediator.

`in His hand is a sacred censor.`

Vision 4.    CHRIST -  JUDGE       (Rev. 14 – 22)

This reveals the entitled Son of Man as the Sublime Adjudicator.

`in His hand is a sharp sickle.`

To reveal Christ to us in Revelation, there are three hundred & thirty references to the figures, shadows, symbols, types, patterns, persons, & buildings of the Old Testament.

This unveiling is the culmination of all the truths expressed from Genesis to Revelation, for all scripture is centred on one purpose and that is to reveal Christ to us in all His Glory.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  11

9 hours ago, Alive said:

Let's consider a wee experiment. Make believe for a while that you are a new convert to Christ and you have no knowledge of various positions on eschatology. You are literate and pay attention to what you read--especially the bible, because you have come to understand it is God's word for us. You are hungry to learn and to understand. After a while you got around to reading Revelation.

What would you naturally conclude when you took notice of these verses in your reading. These verses included among all of the symbolism that makes your head spin? Remember, you have not been indoctrinated. Perhaps you are Chinese or a Muslim or a farmers child from Nebraska.

Rev. 1:1 (ESVS)  The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

Rev. 1:3 (ESVS) Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

Rev. 2:16 (ESVS) Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth.

Rev. 3:11 (ESVS) I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.

Rev. 11:14 (ESVS)    The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come.

Rev. 22:6 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”

Rev. 22:7 (ESVS)   “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”

Rev. 22:10 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.

Rev. 22:12 (ESVS)   “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.

Rev. 22:20 (ESVS)   He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Consider first that the Book of Revelation is PROPHECY.  John is being taken spiritually into the future! —to the Lord’s Day!  That Day is the Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ!

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 

Revelation 1:10 (KJV)

John is not writing from the perspective of 96 AD; that’s why Jesus can tell us that these things must “shortly come to pass.”  John was shown what would happen in the future—our time, the 21st century (He told us to study the parable of the fig tree, remember?). ….John is writing from that perspective. …and Jesus is coming SOON.

Selah.

Edited by Selah7
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.43
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I guess we are not gonna experiment because preconceived notions are in the way.

This is eschatology. So its been pointed out that we have teachers to show the way.

There are as many views on esch as Carter has liver pills.

Which one who calls themselves a teacher are you to heed as the herald of truth regarding these things?

I have read most of them and must admit, I have seen a new one recently.

So, my experiment stands. Anyone?

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Alive said:

Everything in context of the rest of scripture, so we have....

2 Peter 3:8

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

2 minutes ago, Heaven_Bound said:

You did say we have been reading the Bible for awhile before we come to the Book of Revelation.   Why wouldn't we naturally apply newly knowledge to a continuing topic and another Book of the Bible?   If you read 6 Books before Revelation, the Epistle of Peter, and read 1 day = 1,000 years, why would the term SOON and Immediately even make you flinch?   If 1 day = 1,000 years 6 Books ago, how do soon and immediately change to be different?

We are getting offf base. From a babe, I saw the Lord looking down at a timeline and seeing all at once. Not a perfect understanding, but I think it has merit.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

47 minutes ago, Alive said:

I guess we are not gonna experiment because preconceived notions are in the way.

This is eschatology. So its been pointed out that we have teachers to show the way.

There are as many views on esch as Carter has liver pills.

Which one who calls themselves a teacher are you to heed as the herald of truth regarding these things?

I have read most of them and must admit, I have seen a new one recently.

So, my experiment stands. Anyone?

Is Scripture a preconceived notion?

@Alive  What does the Lord’s Day mean to you?  

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

- Revelation 1:10 (KJV)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,364
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/7/2022 at 12:48 PM, Alive said:

No problem at all. Its a great word. I like the word soon. When my wife calls or texts me from work saying, "I will be home soon".

It makes me happy. Soon is a good word.

Another great word included in the OP - "coming"/ "come".  

• Thumbs Up 1

I see that thus far, we have no willing participants in the experiment.