IGNORED

How to live frugal and sharing tips what you do to save money...

angels4u

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Recently the local news recommended that as people return to the workplace, that one can save money on work clothes by shopping at resale stores instead of buying new. Not sure how well that would work for anyone. It is not an option for us though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, ayin jade said:

Recently the local news recommended that as people return to the workplace, that one can save money on work clothes by shopping at resale stores instead of buying new. Not sure how well that would work for anyone. It is not an option for us though. 

They have mission store here for used clothing, the thing is they don't let you try on anything because of Covid...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

We have way more cloths than we need even after a gleening. More to come. There is a great christian managed used store nearby.

Last year, so many were contributing, they stopped taking stuff.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

We don't eat out much either,we might share a sub now and then and we don't go on holidays either,we live at a beautiful Island , the beach is only 5 minutes driving, summers are beautiful,winters are cold..

Do you have tips of how you wife might try to save money now everything is getting so expensive?

Finally got my whole garden in. I thought I would get ahead of the game with all the shortages going on these days. I went to three different places trying to get 1 Qt. wide mouth canning jars, and some extra wide mouth lids. Got home and checked Amazon, they had three (12 packs) left in stock, limit one per person. 

Prices are crazy, I went to Walmart to get a few extra tomato plants to fill in the rest of the garden, no way, $3.99 for a single tomato plant. I never thought I would see the day, just under $300.00 for all my plants, seeds, Preen, and some bags of fertilizer and potting soil. But I am thinking it is still a frugal endeavor in the short and long haul? Everyone now seems to be forecasting global food shortages.  

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The biggest thing i do is buy older used vehicles for either cash up front or if i do have to finance, for an amount low enough i can pay off rapidly. Ive paid off every car mortgage Ive taken out 2-3 years early if not sooner. Paid my truck off in 3 months. 

Every vehicle i own currently i own free and clear.

I do that with a lot of stuff. I buy a lot of older used equipment. The exception is power tools. Over the years ive found its actually cheaper to buy those brand new and name brand.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Finally got my whole garden in. I thought I would get ahead of the game with all the shortages going on these days. I went to three different places trying to get 1 Qt. wide mouth canning jars, and some extra wide mouth lids. Got home and checked Amazon, they had three (12 packs) left in stock, limit one per person. 

Prices are crazy, I went to Walmart to get a few extra tomato plants to fill in the rest of the garden, no way, $3.99 for a single tomato plant. I never thought I would see the day, just under $300.00 for all my plants, seeds, Preen, and some bags of fertilizer and potting soil. But I am thinking it is still a frugal endeavor in the short and long haul? Everyone now seems to be forecasting global food shortages.  

It's too early here to start a garden, my husband will start soon seeding some seeds in the house , fertilizer is here also very expensive . I love to grow Roma tomatoes which dry very nice in the oven, we freeze most vegetables en some things like herbs I dry. I tried drying carrots a month or so ago and they turned out very nice, good for soups,we always grow our own garlic which is amazing ! Which veggies do you can? We usually don't can them,we canned a lot of applesauce last year from windfall apples.

10 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

The biggest thing i do is buy older used vehicles for either cash up front or if i do have to finance, for an amount low enough i can pay off rapidly. Ive paid off every car mortgage Ive taken out 2-3 years early if not sooner. Paid my truck off in 3 months. 

Every vehicle i own currently i own free and clear.

I do that with a lot of stuff. I buy a lot of older used equipment. The exception is power tools. Over the years ive found its actually cheaper to buy those brand new and name brand.

You're good with cars to do all that work yourself,not everybody is able to that,do you grow a garden ?

46 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi angels,

Friends and ourselves have been stocking up for a couple of years now. We bought slabs of tinned fruit of different kinds, flour, spaghetti, rice, beans, beetroot, etc all in bulk. 

Also have a side of beef in the freezer from the farm across the road where hubby helps out quite a lot. Then friends and ourselves share what we have in our gardens, pumpkins, potatoes, rhubarb, etc.

And there is a man who grows paddocks of tomatoes down the road. He puts out big bins of ready tomatoes for anyone to take as they would not make it to market on time.

We also live in a fruit growing area and can buy cases or half cases of fruit cheap.

So we are ready to share and have been doing it for quite a while. I see it is going to get much worse.

Also we pass around clothes to each other and then out to others. Men are helping each other with cutting up the fire wood for our heating and cooking. 

As a hint I use plain vinegar with a dash of eucalyptus for cleaning everything around the house, and the bi-carb for cleaning tea stains and fish smells etc.

Lots of patching farm clothes saves money and recycling older clothes that have now come back into fashion. ;)

A big hint to save money is to NOT go shopping much and don`t look at catalogs. :o

Marilyn.

Sounds you're well-prepared to help other people also if there's a need, I like to do the same thing,buy extra when it's on sale and if we don't use it we can help our children or whoever  needs food . Not that we stocked a ridiculous amount but more than I would usually buy,we have to be prepared for difficult times or power outages and stuff,the Bible is clear that at some point food will be difficult to get . Everything is getting very expensive ,some things in the grocery store dubbled in price and at time there are empty shelves..

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, angels4u said:

It's too early here to start a garden, my husband will start soon seeding some seeds in the house , fertilizer is here also very expensive . I love to grow Roma tomatoes which dry very nice in the oven, we freeze most vegetables en some things like herbs I dry. I tried drying carrots a month or so ago and they turned out very nice, good for soups,we always grow our own garlic which is amazing ! Which veggies do you can? We usually don't can them,we canned a lot of applesauce last year from windfall apples.

Just as Sarah Palin can see Russia from her backyard, and I’ll bet you can see the polar ice caps from your backyard.  :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

I prefer to can as many garden vegetables as possible, as they will keep for years if necessary. Some folks I know had their chest freezers go out, and there was a long back order to get a replacement. What does one do when you have a chest freezer full of food that breaks?

This summer, I plan to get a food dehydrator and vacuum sealer and store some things that way. I always wanted to dehydrate some jerky, bananas, and other snacks.  

• Thumbs Up 1