IGNORED

Did God create evil? (A look at Isaiah 45:7)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  627
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  696
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

ISAIAH 45:7 

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD (YHVH) do all these things."

This is a strange verse that might capture the attention of many. I am sure we have heard it said that "Evil comes from the Devil" We all seem to connect evil to Satan and his demonic entities. Yet, this verse clearly states that YHVH created evil. Case closed. But we must ask ourselves "why?"

Why did a loving, perfect, and Holy God create evil? So, as we attempt to answer this question. Let's look at the words with a fine-tooth comb.

"Light and darkness" "peace and evil" "form, make, create" How can we relate these words to our world today? in the world in which we live? Here we see opposites, "light vs darkness" "peace vs evil". We can also see these in similarities; "light and peace" and "Darkness and evil" Two go together and two are different. But they are ALL made by Adonai. The word used for "create" in Hebrew is "Bara" which means "to create or bring into being for a specific purpose." It is not just to create or make and throw out there into existence, sit back and see what happens.

All things were made for a purpose. We see in Genesis Chapter 1 that there was darkness, yet out of the darkness came light. "Light" is also referred to as Yeshua himself. One thought is that when YHVH "spoke" into existence all that He created, the words that He spoke emanated at such a high frequency that the sound waves were heated to such a degree that they glowed with "light" But this is just an idea. No one was around back then to observe creation.

Yet, before Genesis 1, there was just eternity past, and, nothingness? the blackness of empty space? Yet since Elohim existed eternally from eternity past, then, there can not be "nothingness" rather "somethingness" (wow, is that really a word?) Yes, (my word) Elohim existed so there was no such thing as "nothingness" yet "darkness?' did it exist before Genesis 1?

Can darkness associate itself with evil? There are two entities of "darkness" one is "physical" darkness (if one can call it that) and the other "spiritual darkness". In order to sleep well, we need a "dark" room, to close our eyes and rest. Photographers many years ago developed film in a "dark" room. When I was in high school, I took a course in photography and Mr. Tovar, my photography teacher taught us how to go into a pitch-black closet and unroll the film in our camera into a black box with a hole in the top, then pour in the chemicals to develop the negatives. "Darkness" was needed to develop the film. There are animals that only come out during the darkness of night to feed, and flowers close up to rest during the night.

So, that kind of darkness is good, so "peace" and "relaxation" can come in the "darkness" to allow us to sleep and rest. But spiritual darkness relates to evil. Not knowing the Torah (Bible) exposes us to evil. What we don't know CAN hurt us. Rejection of God's gift of Salvation brings darkness into our lives and makes us slaves to the "evil" master; HaSatan.

Knowing what spiritual darkness is can lead us to the "light" of the gospel. rejecting "evil" and welcoming "Shalom" (peace) through Yeshua.
Recognizing a poisonous scorpion (darkness, evil) from a non-poisonous one can bring one "peace" in that we know what to look for and avoid. Well, all scorpions sting, but some are like a bee or wasp sting, and others, well... you'd better go see a doctor quickly! (the difference is in the claw and stinger)

When we read and obey God's Commandments, we get "peace" in our lives, yet the "negative" commandments warn us against "evil" and knowing what "evil" can do against us, and thus avoiding the same, brings us "peace". In a dark room, where the is pitch-blackness, if you stike a match, that light from the match however small that flame is, chases away the darkness, now, as our eyes adjust, we can see around us. So is the Word of God, like a flame from a match, that will reveal everything around us and the spiritual darkness will flee. (mind you, don't blow out the flame)

So, back to the million-dollar question; Why did God create evil and peace together? Perhaps the answer is in the creation of mankind. Mankind was given a choice to obey or disobey. God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice. The same is for us today. If there had been no such thing as "evil" then, we would have no choice BUT to obey and love, there would be no testing our love, we would be like robots or machines that run because they are programmed to run. We are more than machines, we are His living creations, created with a choice to "walk in the light and have peace" rather than "succumb to the darkness and be enveloped in evil".

Would we also dare say that God created evil, to punish evil doers? Whatever a man sows, that he must also reap. We can see that in our everyday lives. Even Yeshua said to Peter; "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." So, evil might have been created for that reason also.

Either way, the choice is ours.

Ben Avraham

The light gives way to darkness, yet the light will soon return       (Key Largo, FL) 

SAM_1034.JPG.04e4c4a20bc2bae452bf56371660b0b2.JPG

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 6/25/2022 at 8:02 PM, Jacob Ben Avraham said:

ISAIAH 45:7 

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD (YHVH) do all these things."

This is a strange verse that might capture the attention of many. I am sure we have heard it said that "Evil comes from the Devil" We all seem to connect evil to Satan and his demonic entities. Yet, this verse clearly states that YHVH created evil. Case closed. But we must ask ourselves "why?"

Why did a loving, perfect, and Holy God create evil? So, as we attempt to answer this question. Let's look at the words with a fine-tooth comb.

"Light and darkness" "peace and evil" "form, make, create" How can we relate these words to our world today? in the world in which we live? Here we see opposites, "light vs darkness" "peace vs evil". We can also see these in similarities; "light and peace" and "Darkness and evil" Two go together and two are different. But they are ALL made by Adonai. The word used for "create" in Hebrew is "Bara" which means "to create or bring into being for a specific purpose." It is not just to create or make and throw out there into existence, sit back and see what happens.

All things were made for a purpose. We see in Genesis Chapter 1 that there was darkness, yet out of the darkness came light. "Light" is also referred to as Yeshua himself. One thought is that when YHVH "spoke" into existence all that He created, the words that He spoke emanated at such a high frequency that the sound waves were heated to such a degree that they glowed with "light" But this is just an idea. No one was around back then to observe creation.

Yet, before Genesis 1, there was just eternity past, and, nothingness? the blackness of empty space? Yet since Elohim existed eternally from eternity past, then, there can not be "nothingness" rather "somethingness" (wow, is that really a word?) Yes, (my word) Elohim existed so there was no such thing as "nothingness" yet "darkness?' did it exist before Genesis 1?

Can darkness associate itself with evil? There are two entities of "darkness" one is "physical" darkness (if one can call it that) and the other "spiritual darkness". In order to sleep well, we need a "dark" room, to close our eyes and rest. Photographers many years ago developed film in a "dark" room. When I was in high school, I took a course in photography and Mr. Tovar, my photography teacher taught us how to go into a pitch-black closet and unroll the film in our camera into a black box with a hole in the top, then pour in the chemicals to develop the negatives. "Darkness" was needed to develop the film. There are animals that only come out during the darkness of night to feed, and flowers close up to rest during the night.

So, that kind of darkness is good, so "peace" and "relaxation" can come in the "darkness" to allow us to sleep and rest. But spiritual darkness relates to evil. Not knowing the Torah (Bible) exposes us to evil. What we don't know CAN hurt us. Rejection of God's gift of Salvation brings darkness into our lives and makes us slaves to the "evil" master; HaSatan.

Knowing what spiritual darkness is can lead us to the "light" of the gospel. rejecting "evil" and welcoming "Shalom" (peace) through Yeshua.
Recognizing a poisonous scorpion (darkness, evil) from a non-poisonous one can bring one "peace" in that we know what to look for and avoid. Well, all scorpions sting, but some are like a bee or wasp sting, and others, well... you'd better go see a doctor quickly! (the difference is in the claw and stinger)

When we read and obey God's Commandments, we get "peace" in our lives, yet the "negative" commandments warn us against "evil" and knowing what "evil" can do against us, and thus avoiding the same, brings us "peace". In a dark room, where the is pitch-blackness, if you stike a match, that light from the match however small that flame is, chases away the darkness, now, as our eyes adjust, we can see around us. So is the Word of God, like a flame from a match, that will reveal everything around us and the spiritual darkness will flee. (mind you, don't blow out the flame)

So, back to the million-dollar question; Why did God create evil and peace together? Perhaps the answer is in the creation of mankind. Mankind was given a choice to obey or disobey. God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice. The same is for us today. If there had been no such thing as "evil" then, we would have no choice BUT to obey and love, there would be no testing our love, we would be like robots or machines that run because they are programmed to run. We are more than machines, we are His living creations, created with a choice to "walk in the light and have peace" rather than "succumb to the darkness and be enveloped in evil".

Would we also dare say that God created evil, to punish evil doers? Whatever a man sows, that he must also reap. We can see that in our everyday lives. Even Yeshua said to Peter; "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." So, evil might have been created for that reason also.

Either way, the choice is ours.

Ben Avraham

The light gives way to darkness, yet the light will soon return       (Key Largo, FL) 

SAM_1034.JPG.04e4c4a20bc2bae452bf56371660b0b2.JPG

Many try to explain where evil came from, but refuse to understand that the simplest revelation may be to look into a mirror for its source.   Evil didn't come from God.  It came from us.  It still does.

Ben Avraham wrote, "the answer is in the creation of mankind. Mankind was given a choice to obey or disobey. God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice."

Get out your Bible and thumb over to Genesis chapter 3.  This is the story of the fall of man into SIN while yet in the Garden of God's blessings.   

I think Ben Avraham's statement here is one that's so obvious it's missed by most - including solid professional theologians.  God did NOT set up Eve and Adam to fail as scoffers suggest.  He created a situation where Eve and Adam could return God's love - literally out of thin air - by obeying His Word.  Subsequent interpretations of evil and the intent of fallen man have confused and obfuscated God's original intent into obscurity.   Ben Avraham has touched on an unspoken and perhaps forgotten truth here....

God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice.

Also obvious to the reader of the Genesis chapter 3 account is that neither Adam nor his mate wanted anything to do with expressing love to God.  They only wanted to enjoy the stuff He'd given them - not God.  Of such is the curse mankind has brought upon itself for in forgetting the source of our blessings we have lost even the blessings themselves.

Many today worship God, but do not value Him.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings

Its quite easy to understand that God Created ALL " things" - yes," things" are light or darkness things? Well the light is produced by the sun & darkness is the absence of light. The same with good is " good," a thing?God created man with the choice of choosing what is good or evil,which is the absence of good.....

So,Isaiah 45:7 should not be difficult to understand - God Created Angels and humans both were able to choose good or bad,to obey or disobey , to serve Him or satan....

It would be the same as asking if God Created disobedience, did he Create rebellion,rejection?.... Its a verb,an action

Just my 2 cents

With love in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Jacob

Nice to see you again- nice post, beautiful photo

With love in Christ, Kwik

Edited by kwikphilly

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

The word "evil" in that passage is translated in a variety of ways.  The Hebrew word is רַע [pronounced "rah"] and it can mean:

• bad
  • evil
  • unpleasant
  • sad
  • injury
  • calamity
  • adversity
  • misery
  • distress

That's according to the Hebrew lexicon.

God did NOT create evil.  That's impossible.  Everything he created, the Bible says was good.  

If in the first couplet, light and darkness are opposites, with ONLY the creation of light by God - and darkness being defined as the absence of light, the same should be for the second couplet.

"Peace" and it's opposite.  Out of that list of what the Hebrew lexicon says are the meanings for that word, "calamity" would fit the best.  That's how many Bibles translate it.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/27/2022 at 2:48 PM, kwikphilly said:

Blessings

Its quite easy to understand that God Created ALL " things" - yes," things" are light or darkness things? Well the light is produced by the sun & darkness is the absence of light. The same with good is " good," a thing?God created man with the choice of choosing what is good or evil,which is the absence of good.....

So,Isaiah 45:7 should not be difficult to understand - God Created Angels and humans both were able to choose good or bad,to obey or disobey , to serve Him or satan....

It would be the same as asking if God Created disobedience, did he Create rebellion,rejection?.... Its a verb,an action

Just my 2 cents

With love in Christ,Kwik

I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things. - Isaiah 45:7

Please reread Isaiah 45.  The chapter is an example of Hebrew poetry of the historic period in which it was composed.  The lines of verse are arranged in sections which are intended to enhance the general message (addressed to King Cyrus).  For instance, the first section is verse 1. Second section is verses 2-4.  Third group is read from verse 5 to verse 7 and so on.  Please reread the chapter.  Such an exercise will be an interesting review of Biblical poetry.  

The passage from Isaiah does NOT mention creation of any being of any sort; human, angelic, animal or vegetable.  It's part of a poetic series of verses addressed to Cyrus the Great of Persia.  It's purpose is to remind the annointed king Cyrus that God, the only sovereign Lord, provides success and failure as well as prosperity and want.

The passage from Isaiah does NOT refer at all to doctrines of human choices.  Please go back and read the entire chapter.  It's submitted to Cyrus as a cautionary reminder that his (Cyrus's) success is a gift from God.

The passage from Isaiah does NOT refer to doctrines of obedience or disobedience.  It's a reminder of the grace and power of the throne of Almighty God - the Lord of Kings and the Power behind every earthly throne.

In the previous verse, verse SIX, mention is made of the RISING OF THE SUN.  Verse seven therefore refers to day and night, not some theological or philosophical abstract.  

My purpose isn't to deny the truth of anything you wrote. It's simply to call attention to the Bible verses themselves and the meaning they are intended to convey.

The Bible interprets itself.  

Hope this helps.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft
  • Well Said! 1

On 6/27/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jayne said:

The word "evil" in that passage is translated in a variety of ways.  The Hebrew word is רַע [pronounced "rah"] and it can mean:

• bad
  • evil
  • unpleasant
  • sad
  • injury
  • calamity
  • adversity
  • misery
  • distress

That's according to the Hebrew lexicon.

God did NOT create evil.  That's impossible.  Everything he created, the Bible says was good.  

If in the first couplet, light and darkness are opposites, with ONLY the creation of light by God - and darkness being defined as the absence of light, the same should be for the second couplet.

"Peace" and it's opposite.  Out of that list of what the Hebrew lexicon says are the meanings for that word, "calamity" would fit the best.  That's how many Bibles translate it.

Your list of what is or isn't evil is quite complete.  I cannot attempt to add to it.

The REAL QUESTION under examination isn't the nature or definition of evil.   Most people know what evil is.

The REAL QUESTION is where did evil come from.

Genesis 3 is quite adamant on this point.   Evil came from US.

It still does.

Like Eve and Adam before us we all tend to point the finger of blame elsewhere.  Eve blamed the serpent.  Adam blamed Eve and modern scoffers, who claim to be the most enlightened of all generations, blame God for everything.

Evil came from US.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 6/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, kwikphilly said:

Its quite easy to understand that God Created ALL " things" - yes," things" are light or darkness things?

That made me thing is terms of properties of things. In other words, how much does evil weight, how much space does it occupy? What color is it? If I put in in may fuel tank how far will it take my car? Even light has properties like speed, frequency, and the ability to do work (energy).

I think regarding God creating evil, I'll just quote Got Questions:

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered. (1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

(2) The context of Isaiah 45:7 makes it clear that something other than “bringing moral evil into existence” is in mind. The context of Isaiah 45:7 is God rewarding Israel for obedience and punishing Israel for disobedience. God pours out salvation and blessings on those whom He favors. God brings judgment on those who continue to rebel against Him. “Woe to him who quarrels with his Master” (Isaiah 45:9). That is the person to whom God brings “evil” and “disaster.” So, rather than saying that God created “moral evil,” Isaiah 45:7 is presenting a common theme of Scripture – that God brings disaster on those who continue in hard-hearted rebellion against Him.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

1 hour ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

That made me thing is terms of properties of things. In other words, how much does evil weight, how much space does it occupy? What color is it? If I put in in may fuel tank how far will it take my car? Even light has properties like speed, frequency, and the ability to do work (energy).

I think regarding God creating evil, I'll just quote Got Questions:

Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered. (1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

(2) The context of Isaiah 45:7 makes it clear that something other than “bringing moral evil into existence” is in mind. The context of Isaiah 45:7 is God rewarding Israel for obedience and punishing Israel for disobedience. God pours out salvation and blessings on those whom He favors. God brings judgment on those who continue to rebel against Him. “Woe to him who quarrels with his Master” (Isaiah 45:9). That is the person to whom God brings “evil” and “disaster.” So, rather than saying that God created “moral evil,” Isaiah 45:7 is presenting a common theme of Scripture – that God brings disaster on those who continue in hard-hearted rebellion against Him.

Just goes to show the KJV and few others don't always have a proper translation for every word in the Bible.

Edited by BeyondET

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

23 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

Just goes to show the KJV and few others don't always have a proper translation for every word in the Bible.

True, but you have to give those guys credit back in 1611 considering what they had to work with, they did a pretty good job! Imagine working with scraps of paper, dim light, quill and ink, no computers - but then again it was not a whole new work, they had other great Bibles to draw from prior to their work. We are very blessed to have so much today!

To really appreciate that, people should check out:

• Thumbs Up 1