Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,471
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

The spigot has been turned off. I hope your garden is faring better than mine; we have had zero rain in the last month here. Some of my trees are shedding their dead leaves, with no rain in the forecast. Weeds and briars are drought resistant; I'll start growing them.

My central garden is roughly 150' x 30', spending countless hours out there with a hoe in my hand and gallons of Gatorade. It has been sweltering around here with not enough morning and evening time to tend the garden, so I march on during the day's heat.

I am getting some nice yellow peppers (making pepper rings) and zucchini squash. My onions will never reach maturity, as we eat them almost daily. I don't know what is underground, but if the tops of my potatoes are any indication, it may be an excellent harvest?

Surprisingly, this is the first year I have not had insect or critter problems with the garden, just no rain. Every step I take outside is a loud crunch like crunching a cracker.

The drought we are starting to experience here locally is nothing compared to what the folks out West are contending with. There will be significant repercussions for everyone because of drying up lake levels and drought here in the USA, food, and electricity in particular.

Combined with what is occurring with the rest of the world, it doesn't take Einstein to figure out the potential for rough times ahead.

I had not intended to raise the fifth batch of chicken-laying hens; it is a lot of time, effort, and work. Not to mention the price and availability of eggs these days, recently, tens of millions of turkeys and chickens were destroyed because of avian disease. Today there is no guarantee you will find what you need at the grocery store. What if things get worse as I suspect they will? Are we aware of the times and the "Day" approaching?

If everything goes according to plan, it will still be three more months before I crack my first egg. How many products do we consume that have eggs in them, I wonder? I can't imagine eating my Jiffy cornbread without the egg or milk.  😊

Garden1.png

Garden5.png

Garden6.png

Chickens.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,142
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

The state I live in has been in drought for 22 years.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Did Jesus mean this?

“Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

(Matthew 6:34 KJV)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Its monsoon season!

https://worthychristianforums-h45go6maxh5rpepgu.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/emoticons/default_clap.gif

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Aw that smilie didnt work

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,142
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

27 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Aw that smilie didnt work

Clear your browser cache. :)

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,790
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I think you may have sent your rain over here please feel free to call it back

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

I live in the State of Washington and we have had a ton of rain. 

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

The garden doesn't look too bad there Dennis. No matter what happens, gardens have never been a bad idea. If I had that much land I would likely have one. Can you irrigate or water it from your well? That might help to get you past those dry spells.

No matter how the weather channel tries to paint it, our weather here as been spot on for the time of year and the area. We just had some rain last night. Looks like it could rain today some more. Nothing torrential, just normal rain cycles coming every so often. Anything we plant grows well unless we do something stupid to prevent it.

So far the grocers here have mostly full shelves, however the food costs more. I am thinking about buying some more chickens but I am concerned I'll get another annoying rooster and have to make dinner out of him because he won't stop crowing. The chicks are supposed to be sorted where I buy them, but they regularly make mistakes. I have a hatcher and even hatched a few of my own chickens with that rooster. To do it right I would need an incubator that automatically rolls the eggs and a pair of ear plugs so I don't come unhinged and kill a rooster that won't shut up.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,471
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, Starise said:

The garden doesn't look too bad there Dennis. No matter what happens, gardens have never been a bad idea. If I had that much land I would likely have one. Can you irrigate or water it from your well? That might help to get you past those dry spells.

No matter how the weather channel tries to paint it, our weather here as been spot on for the time of year and the area. We just had some rain last night. Looks like it could rain today some more. Nothing torrential, just normal rain cycles coming every so often. Anything we plant grows well unless we do something stupid to prevent it.

So far the grocers here have mostly full shelves, however the food costs more. I am thinking about buying some more chickens but I am concerned I'll get another annoying rooster and have to make dinner out of him because he won't stop crowing. The chicks are supposed to be sorted where I buy them, but they regularly make mistakes. I have a hatcher and even hatched a few of my own chickens with that rooster. To do it right I would need an incubator that automatically rolls the eggs and a pair of ear plugs so I don't come unhinged and kill a rooster that won't shut up.

Over the last month we had a few thunder storms that circumvented us, the ground is concrete and a hoe just bounces off of it. I had to string together some old garden hoses to reach the garden from the nearest well water spigot, they leak like crazy, I need some new ones. I am trying to water it a couple times a week until we get some rain. 

The horse and biting flies eat me up when I'm out there. I don't mind mosquitoes and ticks, but those biting flies hurt, draw blood and then itch. 

I've been told sexed chickens are about 80% accurate, and I end up with a rooster on occasion. It takes me a long time raising them before I can identify if I have a rooster or not. I like their crowing and looks, but they are too hard on the hens and serve me no purpose. I'm too lazy to clean and eat one. 

I've had a garden most years, it is exercise, more nutritious, and saves some on the grocery bill. On more than one occasion I went to the super Walmart, Kroeger, IGA around here and they were completely out of produce, meat, eggs, bread and or something. Was that a fluke, or a hint and beginning of things to come? I'm not in any panic or predicting doomsday, but I believe we are at the tail end of the end times. As Joseph did, I think it prudent to sock away a little something if tough times are foreseen. 

I suspect that whatever food and products that was bought today will be a bargain a few months from now in a best-case scenario. Just suppose, what if? The expert's predictions on the availability and supply chain worsens or collapses. Around here there were angry people fighting over and hoarding toilet paper. What will cities turn into if things go further south? I believe these are the beginnings of the birth pangs in Matthew chapter 24 and elsewhere. Spiritually and physically, seeing the day approaching, would it not be wise to be prudent and prepare for the day approaching? If one has nothing, how does one help someone in need? Whose responsibility is it to look after and provide for his wife and children? 

Proverbs 21:20 There is treasure to be desired and oil in the dwelling of the wise; but a foolish man spendeth it up.

It appears evident we all do not reason the same on this matter.