Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

To gain a better perspective and understanding, I would like to direct this two-part question to those that regularly attend Sunday church worship services but never attend adult Sunday School (or mid-week Bible study | devotionals, for that matter). Everyone is welcome to participate with their thoughts and suggestions. Perhaps with the anonymity of this forum, I’ll get some honest feedback.

My question is founded on my observations at my community church and other small churches I have visited and heard about; I suspect it is widespread. On average, 30% of the church congregation attends adult Sunday School, and we frequently announce and encourage attendance. My goal is to understand why there is such low attendance and to promote more interest and participation.

It would be counterproductive to point blank walk up to someone and ask this question, and that question is:

Why don’t you attend the adult Sunday School class?

Surely, we all have questions while listening to a sermon from the pulpit and reading scripture. I have never been to a Sunday morning or evening service with the preacher preaching, and someone raised their hand with a question. That is not the place to ask questions or open a dialog for discussion.

Sunday School / Bible study is the place to study God’s word to learn, participate, share, and ask questions. Providing the first part of the question is answered by examining oneself, the second part of my question is:

What changes, atmosphere, format, and material could we introduce to encourage you to attend and participate?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

I really enjoy small group bible studies where everyone gets to participate to the study.  Its a much more intimate environment where you actually get to know each other and learn from each other.  I been a part of small home church that follow that model and it seems the early church followed that model.

And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. ... And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. - Act 2:42, 46-47 KJV

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

6 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Pain and time are 2 hindrances. I cant sit for that long in a church without significant pain in my hip and lower back. And lately my thighs are starting to hurt. 

As for material, the church I used to go to before I moved had some minor beliefs that I disagreed with, so I do not think I would have liked their teaching. 

As an aside, my first date with my husband was a bible study. 

You know, I didn't even consider that. The majority of our congregation is older than me, they call me youngster, and I'm 70 years old. Everyone sits on those hard metal foldable chairs. I know firsthand after an hour sitting on those chairs, the ole gluteus maximus is a pancake. We do provide some seat cushions, but that only temporarily alleviates one area. Thank you. 

• Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,264
  • Content Per Day:  2.93

Our denomination usually held to a two-services on Sunday, the morning being the typical sermon, and the afternoon/evening service intended to be the "teaching" service. The last time I was particularly engage with going to the second service was out last church before we moved to our current home. Those may have included a speaker on a certain topic, questions posed to the pastor on the morning sermon in a much more interactive form. I enjoyed that environment, but maybe because I tend to learn better in collaborative situations.

We have been involved with small group Bible studies over the years. Some were good; others hindered by being us and others in the family stage of life with smaller kids and lack of time. We are currently not in a small group study. The church sometimes organized groups, which is a good way to get to know different people, but takes time to get comfortable with each other to share.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,081
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

I usually attend my church's Sunday school which is at 9:30. They dismiss around  10:15 for church. There are currently 3 Sunday school classes on different things.

I was attending one class but had an interest in a class on leadership, so I may change to that one. Classes don't run all year, often breaking for a time every year.

Pros- Classes are interactive for the most part. I like to hear all ideas on a given text. We have pretty good teachers which leads me to the cons.

Cons- I wish I could teach some time because it makes me study more. So far there seem to only be three teachers. Even if I didn't teach, it would be nice to have some kind of a rotation to give other men a chance at it. I taught years ago and I enjoyed it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,786
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/24/2022 at 7:49 AM, Dennis1209 said:

To gain a better perspective and understanding, I would like to direct this two-part question to those that regularly attend Sunday church worship services but never attend adult Sunday School (or mid-week Bible study | devotionals, for that matter). Everyone is welcome to participate with their thoughts and suggestions. Perhaps with the anonymity of this forum, I’ll get some honest feedback.

My question is founded on my observations at my community church and other small churches I have visited and heard about; I suspect it is widespread. On average, 30% of the church congregation attends adult Sunday School, and we frequently announce and encourage attendance. My goal is to understand why there is such low attendance and to promote more interest and participation.

It would be counterproductive to point blank walk up to someone and ask this question, and that question is:

Why don’t you attend the adult Sunday School class?

Surely, we all have questions while listening to a sermon from the pulpit and reading scripture. I have never been to a Sunday morning or evening service with the preacher preaching, and someone raised their hand with a question. That is not the place to ask questions or open a dialog for discussion.

Sunday School / Bible study is the place to study God’s word to learn, participate, share, and ask questions. Providing the first part of the question is answered by examining oneself, the second part of my question is:

What changes, atmosphere, format, and material could we introduce to encourage you to attend and participate?

Well, as I only have experience with Sabbath School, I can only answer from that perspective. But as one of the Sabbath School teachers we have tried to connect with those who come to church and invite them to the Sabbath School and then make sure to guide them to the right class or answer any questions they might have to make them welcome. As for atmosphere and format we have what we call the round table type of class so everyone can be right up front in the discussion with the teacher, and we give them the and keep some for the daily participants in case any dont have one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Dennis

For years I attended Sunday early morning " class" before Sunday service,we had an adult class,youth classes( teens), kids Sunday school ,& then the pre- schoolers ...after done years I started teaching the 5-7yr kids so I was unable to attend " adults" unless someone filled in for me- we also had the pre- schoolers group facilitated by the teens during Sunday Service,( the teens had a weekly rotation so they only missed maybe 1 Sunday Service every 8 weeks

But we had Wednesday night Bible Study so I actually preferred that to early Sunday adult " class",Bible Study is much more interactive

After many years we began a food Ministry and there were 3 of us who ran it,we had to arrive early to set up all the donated food prior to Service and I ended up the only one doing it as we got more & more donations over the years,it would sometimes take me 2 hours to set all the food up.   No one wanted to do it & I enjoyed displaying everything - others cleaned up after Service & I would go to different neighborhoods with what was left,- like a trunk give away....Food,Bibles & the Gospel❤️

I'm sharing all that because that all came to a halt about 10 years ago due to health reasons.... No more Sunday school,no more Wednesday night Bible Studies and no more Street Ministry- so that was my reason although I almost never missed Sunday Service( even if I had to crawl in,lol)

Things do change,Praise the Lord & after I left my longtime home church I kinda wandered around from church to church- I was not 100percent on the same page with some preaching so I was not going to attend their teaching( reason for unattendance for those couple of years) --- then I arrived at Worthy Ministries & felt productive and effective once again!

These days I don't really go out at night so Wednesday Bible Study is too late plus it's more like a teaching platform with no question/ answer.   I've tried several of their " small groups" daytime studies but it's more like a " Book Club," they teach from books by different Pastors & Evangelists etc .. not really my cup of tea....

After Sunday Service they have a wonderful Sunday school but Arthur doesn't like sitting that extra hour or so...lol

I suppose I've answered your questions somewhere in all that yapping- gee I'm long winded this morning🫣❤️

Time to get ready for church,see y'all later- have a beautiful God Filled Sunday- Praise Jesus!

With love in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

Dennis: At my church I have also observed that work schedules sometimes interfere with Wednesday PM services for some of our regular members. Also health issues that has been addressed on earlier posts.

Aside from those reasons, unfortunately, some never attend due to lack of love for the taught/preached Word of God. That not only affects attendance, but, those individuals entire lives, and they have many excuses for missing regular services as well. They do, however always attend church dinners and pot-luck activities . . .  Maybe we could put in some 'gospel' tracts into the food and they would be consuming the Word ? ? ? (tongue-in-cheek humor, sorry).

Ray . . . 

• Haha 1