• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Hey Ted..:

Thou shalt not buy a crack pipe" Ain't in the Bible either.

well ......whats next? Wouldn't that go together with coffee? :)

For who wants to answer:

Didn't God gave Adam one wife?

He never intended for man to have more then 1 wife......show me one bible verse where God told anybody to marry more then 1 wife, many men did have more then one wife but did God gave them their blessing ?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Sorry, I could not stand to have more than one wife. Like I need more "Honey Do" lists, and then deal with "You love her more than me" and "You like her cooking more than mine" and more than one set of in-laws. NO SIR'RRE BOB!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/19/1966

Sorry, I could not stand to have more than one wife. Like I need more "Honey Do" lists, and then deal with "You love her more than me" and "You like her cooking more than mine" and more than one set of in-laws. NO SIR'RRE BOB!

"Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." Gen 3:16b

"They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. " 1 Peter

So who writes the "honey do" lists in a Bible believing home, led by a Godly man?

Just a thought,

God Bless,

Robert

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/19/1966

...show me one bible verse where God told anybody to marry more then 1 wife, many men did have more then one wife but did God gave them their blessing ?

Greetings angels4u,

Show me one bible verse where God told anybody to marry "only 1 wife", many men did have one wife but did God gave them their blessing ?

Seriously, I need an example, of what you consider a blessing?

God Bless,

Robert

"Didn't God gave Adam one wife?"
Yes, and no belly button and for his sons, only sisters to marry. Marry only your sister or brother!
"He never intended for man to have more then 1 wife."
Really? You're planning to write the new book in the Bible that we need to reveal that to the rest of us? Pray tell where that is stated.
"Show me one bible verse where God told anybody to marry more then 1 wife, many men did have more then one wife but did God gave them their blessing ?"
Actually there are two places. What is known as "Levirate Law" in Deuteronomy and in Exodus, within a stones throw of ye olde Ten Commandments. One chapter away as a matter of fact. It can even be argued that buying female servants accomplished that. That last one is a bit thinner though. As for the blessing, the Prophet Nathan does a pretty good job of saying that David already had a lot of wives, given to him by God, as one of the reasons he should not have sought his neighbors.

Hugh McBryde

Edited by Prakk

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

prakk is not a mormon. I'm sorry for saying he may have been lying. Please pray for him.

"It is also interesting to note that had this commandment been given in Jacob's time, Joseph would not have legally recieved the double portion, and yet the tribes of Ephraim and Mannaseh were blessed accordng to Jacob's words, even after the law was given. Meaning that even this law is not truly a 'moral' law, but a ceremonial one."
Then you would also class the marrying of your full sister in the area of "ceremonial" law? This is an interesting distinction. I found your post extremely interesting and agree with your points save for your definition of "moral" and "ceremonial" law.

Hugh McBryde

Edited by Prakk

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Prakk, perhaps you missed my point.

There are many things not specifically mentioned in the Bible that we, today, consider to be of bad report, or against what the Bible is trying to teach us.

Sometimes, we simply have to consider what is being said, and derive, as best we can, a correct meaning and application of certain verses.

Example:

Paul, when giving these guidelines to Timothy concerning the office of Bishop (Elder, Pastor, etc), felt it was important to mention just how many wives were acceptable for one who desires the job-

1Ti 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behavior, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Why do you think that Paul felt it was important to add the line of which I highlited in bold print? He placed it right in there along with other qualifying traits, or disqualifying, as the case may be.

Here, look at what he says about Deacons:

1Ti 3:8 Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;

1Ti 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

1Ti 3:10 And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

1Ti 3:11 Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

1Ti 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Again we see the same thing. Now, do you suppose it's in there for a reason? If you believe like I do, that the Bible is the truth, then you can sorta derive from these verses that it was a bad thing to have more than one wife. Bad enough, anyway, to disqualify one from holding church office, wouldn't you say?

Seems to me like it's pretty important.

Let's see what else he had to say on the matter, shall we?

1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath a husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

In this passage, I fail to see one mention of the word "wife" in the plural. I wonder why. Where would he get such an idea that a man should only have one wife?

Well, let's see what God Himself had to say on the matter:

Mar 10:1 And he arose from thence, and cometh into the coasts of Judea by the farther side of Jordan: and the people resort unto him again; and, as he was wont, he taught them again.

Mar 10:2 And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

Mar 10:3 And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

Mar 10:4 And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

Mar 10:5 And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

Mar 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Mar 10:7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

Mar 10:8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

Mar 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

You do believe that Jesus is God, right?

Do you find it odd that Jesus would say this? It looks to me that He is saying that God made us male and female and for this cause, we are to become one flesh. No longer two seperate people, but one. Kinda hard to do when there's other wives in the mix, huh?

Let' go a little deeper.....

Mar 10:10 And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

Mar 10:11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

Mar 10:12 And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Notice a common theme yet?

Clearly, from verse 11, we see what Jesus is teaching on the subject. Now, I have heard others say "Well, it's cool, as long as the man doesn't divorce the wife. If he keeps her, he can still marry others".

That is not what the verse is getting at, nor is it even funny.

So, here's the deal. I can't think of one person mentioned in the Bible that was correct in having many wives. David was wrong, Abraham was wrong, Solomon was wrong, etc... it's simply not what God has created us for, as man and woman, as we saw from the above text.

Sure, keep posting that it wasn't specifically condemned in the OT. You do so, and teach such things at your own risk. Notice again in Mark 10:6 what Jesus says: "But from the beginning..." . From the very beginning, God had a certain plan for us, and because you use the example that many OT men went against this and had many wives, that the practice is ok?

No, it is not ok. Not even close, in fact.

Have a nice day!

t.

Edited by ted