A Question About Gods Omnipresence

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

If God is omnipresent, would it be fair to say that God is with us as individuals, in our past, present and future at all times? So in a sense, he is with me right now 5 years ago, with me this moment now, and with me just now 5 years in the future?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.16

1 hour ago, Open7 said:

If God is omnipresent, would it be fair to say that God is with us as individuals, in our past, present and future at all times? So in a sense, he is with me right now 5 years ago, with me this moment now, and with me just now 5 years in the future?

Yes, that is the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

2 hours ago, Open7 said:

No God was with you in your past, he is present with you now and will be with you tomorrow.

God exists outside of time but we are creatures of time and can o ly experience it as time.

We don't  know how God perceives or experiences time.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you study "M" string physics, one sees that there are other dimensions in our universe.   The tenth dimension where the Father would exist you can show with mathematics that it is possible to be in all places at all times in any one instant.  Basically there is no such thing as time in that dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62

12 hours ago, Open7 said:

YES, God is outside of time.  This also means that he sees all time as if it's now.  He sees the future as if it's the past. If he didn't,  then prophesy wouldn't be as certain as it is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

18 hours ago, Open7 said:

Hi Open7,

Yes, God is All-powerful, All-knowing, and Ever-present, but that does not mean that everyone is in communion with Him in at all times, in all circumstances, and in all places. Sin separates us from God and indifference to Him is worldly. 

Taking your question further and delving deeper into what it means to be in communion with God, I submit that the habit, practice, and application of regular "Bible Study & Devotion" is a major component of Christian Life & Worship. In this discipline there are three questions that help us abide in Christ and produce good fruit:

1. What does the Scripture say?
  2. What does the Scripture mean?
  3. How is the Scripture to apply?

Mat 1:23  “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and shall give birth to a son. They shall call his name Immanuel;” which is, being interpreted, “God with us.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/12/2022 at 9:55 AM, Open7 said:

Your present (the perpetual "now") is all that exists. Your past is over and your future is yet to come.

God was, is, and will be present everywhere.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Technically, omnipresence only refers to everywhere - not everywhen.

However, since God is the eternal Creator of both space and time (and therefore above the rules that govern both space and time), the issue is more complex.

Ultimately, the issue is a matter of perspective.

From God's perspective (which supersedes time), He is with you always (both everywhere and everywhen).

But from our perspective (within time), God is with us now, but was with us in the past.

It is interesting to think about the past still existing in some sense, but I see little use in confusing the tenses in conversation. The rules of grammar that describe our reality are time-bound.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Tristen said:

Technically, omnipresence only refers to everywhere - not everywhen.

However, since God is the eternal Creator of both space and time (and therefore above the rules that govern both space and time), the issue is more complex.

Ultimately, the issue is a matter of perspective.

From God's perspective (which supersedes time), He is with you always (both everywhere and everywhen).

But from our perspective (within time), God is with us now, but was with us in the past.

It is interesting to think about the past still existing in some sense, but I see little use in confusing the tenses in conversation. The rules of grammar that describe our reality are time-bound.

Another way of describing the omnipresence of God is to say He always exists.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

11 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Another way of describing the omnipresence of God is to say He always exists.

I think there is a sense in which this is correct, but also a sense in which we are trying to squeeze the concept of time into a word where it is not typically understood that way. That could be problematic in terms of being clear in our communication.

I would suggest the word "infinite" would more adequately express the concept that God is also ubiquitous in time. And the term "eternal" to express the concept that God is ubiquitous across all of reality.