3 pm and 61 outside

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,249
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

The Lord bless all of you who look after the homeless. @Jayne is quite right regarding some who refuse help of any kind, which is why we sponsored an event where we handed out cold weather gear of all kinds to whomever wanted it. We did this prior to the onset of cold weather this year.

It's not that bad in this city, but it's dangerous enough overnight to threaten the lives of those who are exposed to the elements. I pray for those who refuse help.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, Marilyn C said:

Hi Dennis,

Glad you have made it through. What very cold weather you are having. Obviously we, down under are the reverse. Though yesterday we had a great storm with hail the size of golf balls. It also took down power poles and our electricity was off for over a day. Very difficult for the dairy farmers around here. Trevor, (my hubby) took our extra generators to help people keep their fridge and freezer on and to have some limited power.

Out weather is in the 30`s - 37 & 38 degrees over Christmas & New Year. And that is about 100 in the old scale.

Marilyn.

I have watched many documentaries and programs on Australia; what a fascinating country. In 1971 I considered taking my military R&R there, possibly moving there. But it did not work out.

After watching many videos on your country over the years, I do not think I would get along with all your deadly snakes, spiders, and crocodiles. 😊

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Content Per Day:  2.48
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

@Neighbor I live near the Cape so the weather is a little bit less severe than Boston. The last few years have been pretty unsnowy.

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

29 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I have watched many documentaries and programs on Australia; what a fascinating country. In 1971 I considered taking my military R&R there, possibly moving there. But it did not work out.

After watching many videos on your country over the years, I do not think I would get along with all your deadly snakes, spiders, and crocodiles. 😊

Yeah, and I re-upped 6 to get a on new program for guaranteed tour of duty while I was still in country. I picked the Philippines and Australia. Later my replacement, a new platoon sergeant,  just came from Australia.  He had a critical MOS, like me, and discovered they only guarantee to send you to one of your choices of duty, but NOT guarantee how long you stay. This replacement sergeant was only in Australia three months and was sent back to the Nam for his third tour.

I also had a critical MOS and decided no way Jose, so told my captain to tear up my re-up papers as I had not signed the final papers. Who knows, I may have still been living down under had I took a chance on the government not putting the screws to me.
Yea, right...
default_cool2.gif.2f92a430b99e65f9724d253e3c1ee810.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Glad that you have seen some of Australia`s wide and strange land. As to the deadly snakes, spiders and crocodiles, we just learn to live with them. 

I have squashed red backs, and jumped over snakes in my path. They also like to get out of the your way. Crocodiles are more up north and there are signs to keep away from those rivers.

But really we don`t see them much.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

Just now, Sower said:

Yeah, and I re-upped 6 to get a on new program for guaranteed tour of duty while I was still in country. I picked the Philippines and Australia. Later my replacement, a new platoon sergeant,  just came from Australia.  He had a critical MOS, like me, and discovered they only guarantee to send you to one of your choices of duty, but NOT guarantee how long you stay. This replacement sergeant was only in Australia three months and was sent back to the Nam for his third tour.

I also had a critical MOS and decided no way Jose, so told my captain to tear up my re-up papers as I had not signed the final papers. Who knows, I may have still been living down under had I took a chance on the government not putting the screws to me.
Yea, right...
default_cool2.gif.2f92a430b99e65f9724d253e3c1ee810.gif

Yes, sir, been there, done that, and almost a carbon copy of your experience. I had a critical MOS that had shortages, and I was informed I would probably be extended involuntarily in the country for six months.

I could handle the extension, if need be, but I was not going to volunteer; I missed home and American women. Like you, I could write a book on my experiences, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I do not need to tell you, given a choice, I preferably want to get out of there. I never understood why some spent 2,3 and four tours there. They almost tempted me beyond resistance to re-up for six more years. Think about what you can buy with a bonus of $10,000.00 tax-free (reenlistment bonus 71-72) if you re-up over there.

I enjoyed the military to a point; there was way too much hurry-up and wait time, and it was boring. I did not want to make a career in active duty, but I wanted to keep my foot in the door. So, three years active, seventeen in the active and IRR reserves. I got to see other countries being sent on deployment overseas for two weeks in the Reserves.

One of my biggest regrets, I should have gone to Australia for my 7&7. If I had, today I would probably be saying by cracky, mate, and have a writing accent LOL.

• Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,667
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, shel said:

@Neighbor I live near the Cape so the weather is a little bit less severe than Boston. The last few years have been pretty unsnowy.

Yeah, the seabirds and geese don't even bother to migrate like they used to do.

Haven't been up there in some time except to go to Fenway Park for a game to share with my bride the old home turf. That and spend some time on the southern shores of Maine too- Gooch's Beach Kennebunkport.

It is nice for sure, but once I visit the homelands again it takes months for me to reduce my Bostonese  so that Floridians may nuderstand me when I speak.

• Haha 2

• Followers:  20
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  6,831
  • Content Per Day:  2.48
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  04/11/1961

We are going to Maine in a few days to visit my sons. Staying in Bath.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praying! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,249
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

4 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yeah, the seabirds and geese don't even bother to migrate like they used to do.

Haven't been up there in some time except to go to Fenway Park for a game to share with my bride the old home turf. That and spend some time on the southern shores of Maine too- Gooch's Beach Kennebunkport.

It is nice for sure, but once I visit the homelands again it takes months for me to reduce my Bostonese  so that Floridians may nuderstand me when I speak.

Folks here in New Mexico don't know what a grinder is. Sad. :emot-fail: