• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  159
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/26/1988

Hi,

I am a single mom. I have a lot of issues going on in my life - son's health, not a lot of money, no emotional support etc.

I find myself praying all the time - a good thing, except that I am scared to focus on anything else, even work. I am scared that if I stop praying, God will not deal with my problems and bless me. I don't know how to fully explain it - I somehow feel that unless I am constantly petitioning God, He will not bless me and my son.

How do I overcome this? What I really want to do is tell God something like - 'Lord, I have focus on work right now. Please take care of me and my son, I will pray again once I have finished my work'.

I am unable to do this for two reasons - one is I am hardly able to fully focus because there is constant noise around me. Two is even if I manage to focus and pray, I do not completely believe God will take care.

((In hindsight, I realise my decisions were wrong. Marriage is not for me. I would have been much happier with God and a job. But now that I've a son, I have to take up the responsibility.))

Thanks

GerdaHannah

Edited by GerdaHannah
  • Praying! 4

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.26
  • Content Count:  27,774
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

Bless you Gerda ... I know that life sometimes throws us for a loop!  And remember that Paul said, Pray without ceasing ... so it's not a bad thing that you are praying all the time!

By you praying ... you are exerting faith, now it's praying in such a way that you believe what you are praying!  Right now, you are being tossed to and fro in your life, and I suggest simply reading the Word and praying the Word as they are perfect prayers. 

There was a revivalist in the late 1800's named George Mueller who had an incredible ministry and he based it off of prayer.  But he literally took God at His Word and literally prayed His Word knowing that God cannot go against His own Word.

Read this article ... I believe it will help you.

https://www.georgemuller.org/devotional/george-muller-and-the-secret-of-his-power-in-prayer

God bless,

George

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,591
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

49 minutes ago, GerdaHannah said:

Hi,

I am a single mom. I have a lot of issues going on in my life - son's health, not a lot of money, no emotional support etc.

I find myself praying all the time - a good thing, except that I am scared to focus on anything else, even work. I am scared that if I stop praying, God will not deal with my problems and bless me. I don't know how to fully explain it - I somehow feel that unless I am constantly petitioning God, He will not bless me and my son.

How do I overcome this? What I really want to do is tell God something like - 'Lord, I have focus on work right now. Please take care of me and my son, I will pray again once I have finished my work'.

I am unable to do this for two reasons - one is I am hardly able to fully focus because there is constant noise around me. Two is even if I manage to focus and pray, I do not completely believe God will take care.

((In hindsight, I realise my decisions were wrong. Marriage is not for me. I would have been much happier with God and a job. But now that I've a son, I have to take up the responsibility.))

Thanks

GerdaHannah

Shalom, GerdaHannah.

He is with you through all of your daily challenges. Don't make it a "stop and pray" kind of thing; you don't have to get down on your knees, fold your hands, and close your eyes to pray. Let your prayers be a "I know you're with me; what should we be doing together now? Would you please give me the right frame of mind to deal with these problems? Give me strength on what I can accomplish, and help me through those things over which YOU ONLY have all control!" Work WITH God throughout the day! The Scriptures say, "Pray without ceasing!" It's possible! It's doable! Instead of talking to yourself (if you do), just change it to talking to your FATHER! Get to know Him more intimately every day, and ENJOY your time with Him! Did you know that to "bless someone" means to "make one happy?"

Once I was in a car wreck, and there was little time before we flew into the air and landed smack onto an open field some 70 feet away! My prayer was, "Well, Father, here we go!" NO ONE was killed, and only the driver was injured because of the steering wheel. It was her lesson not to try racing her car with a friend! She pulled through with a few broken ribs, but I doubt she ever sped and raced with her car again! God was both merciful and stern! My prayer was, "Thank you, Father, for allowing us to live and protecting us!" He can give you peace and a deep joy that will caress you in times of danger and challenge!

If you're mad at God about something, TELL HIM about it! Let Him know how you're feeling about your son's health! Cry with Him, and let Him comfort you! He is THERE for you! God ALWAYS loves His children, both you and your son! There will never come a time when He doesn't love you! He has your best interests in heart! He knows the mistakes you've made, and He can work with those mistakes and make something more beautiful out of your life than you ever imagined! Just learn that you can TRUST Him!

Don't give up on yourself, yet. Perhaps, marriage is not right for you now, but that doesn't mean that God can't give you someone who will love you unconditionally, just as He loves you!

I'll be praying for you!

• This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,092
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, George said:

Bless you Gerda ... I know that life sometimes throws us for a loop!  And remember that Paul said, Pray without ceasing ... so it's not a bad thing that you are praying all the time!

By you praying ... you are exerting faith, now it's praying in such a way that you believe what you are praying!  Right now, you are being tossed to and fro in your life, and I suggest simply reading the Word and praying the Word as they are perfect prayers. 

There was a revivalist in the late 1800's named George Mueller who had an incredible ministry and he based it off of prayer.  But he literally took God at His Word and literally prayed His Word knowing that God cannot go against His own Word.

Read this article ... I believe it will help you.

https://www.georgemuller.org/devotional/george-muller-and-the-secret-of-his-power-in-prayer

God bless,

George

3 hours ago, GerdaHannah said:

Hi,

Thanks

GerdaHannah

Shalom GerdaHannah! I fully agree with George here. 

You're in my thoughts and prayers 🙏🏽. Please hang in there now! It increases my faith when I "pray His Word", and also when I thank Him in advance for the answer, even if I haven't seen it yet. 

May the Lord's peace and grace be with you there! 

FhsbHqrXEAA0iIP.jpeg

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  03/28/1967

I agree with @Retrobyter and turning your self talk into talking to God. It’s okay to just talk to Him in the busy moments or in your stress or when you are rushing from one chore or job to the next.

I also like the idea of reading the Word as  prayer. Let it take your thoughts where He would have them go. Be intentional when you read to listen to what He might be saying to you in the verse or chapter you are looking at.

I feel the depth of your struggle but sometimes the struggle leads you to understand Him even more. Be strong @GerdaHannah, you know He’s got you!

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,785
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Do you have to make an appointment to talk to your son ? do you have to stop everything you are doing to chat to him ? YES there are times when your entire focus is on him but the rest of the time you can work and love him / talk to him / tell him how much you love him . If you can do that with your son then how much more so with the Father who loves you and KNOWS your needs and fear far more than anyone ? Instead of thinking of God as someone you have to placate try thinking of Him as He is ..a loving and caring Father . He loves you and wants nothing but good for you ( yes especially when you have to  face consequences  of your own actions ) so love Him back THANK HIM and develop a real relationship with Him :emot-hug:  Praying with you :th_praying:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:3)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 1/4/2023 at 1:23 PM, GerdaHannah said:

Hi,

Thanks

GerdaHannah

Hi Gerda,

Life is difficult, however we can always thank the Lord for ........ Can you turn your fearful petitioning to thankfulness. Think of the many things you are thankful for - 

Jesus, salvation, your son, his love, a body that functions, work, food, shelter, clothes, family, friends, etc etc

You think of things to thank God for, throughout the day and I believe you will begin to appreciate His constant, faithful care of you both.

praying, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

And care about others. You can feel for others, out of your own experience. And as God helps you, use this to help others. This way, you can be more feeding on love as your motive for finding out how to handle things. How we simply become more humble and kind, "through it all", is important :)

Read God's word and see what has God's attention.

You do have His attention. But what is He mainly concerned about - - - even while so much evil is acting up?

Jesus was going to have many hard things and impossible people to deal with. But I would say His main attention was to simply sharing with our Father, in prayer. Plus, He chose those twelve men "that they might be with Him" > Mark 3:14 > so He could have them to love them and so they could feed on His example and become loving like Jesus.

So the hard times did not control Jesus and His attention or how He was becoming. He did not let things choke Him from loving!

Easier times can be a trick, too, to have us relaxing in doing what we can easily do in our own abilities. So, we should not be trying only to get back to some past normal.

Perhaps it is like how you could have a hard life farming in the outback and there might be rats in the barn and rabbits trying to devour your crop, but you are busy with loving the one who is there with you, so you even don't notice the rats and heat or maybe the threat of dingoes raiding the sheep . . . except you attend to problems enough to do what is responsible. Instead of taking your companion for granted, you keep your relating going and let the trouble things lose their hold on you. Do what is responsible, yes, but resist how unloving stuff would control you and your attention.

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Edited by com7fy8