• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Perspective:  a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view:

Within a series of posts in a thread on Ghosts and moving vases I became intrigued by the perspective expressed by another poster, Slibhin.

It seems words and passages have differing emphasis and even meaning  depending upon one's perspective (Religion if you please) looking at them and reasoning through what they mean. There is a differing thought within the Tanakh as expressed by Slibhin, as compared to my own perspective  from the Bible both Old Testament and New Testament, plus  to some smaller degree the Apocryphal writings.

Slibhin has pointed out a difference in understanding of Satan as example and of angels that certainly will influence one's perspective. I think it to be a valid difference one that is informative to me anyway.

I'd like to learn more about perspectives other than my own! And so I am hoping  there might be an exchange of perspectives  without the hammering of " I'm right and you're wrong about any perspective", by anyone that may join in the thread; and instead simply more postings of  here's where I am coming from as a start; and then see where the exchange of perspectives might lead.   Might it be that a melding  of thoughts will lead to  a better understanding of each other  and perhaps even  new insights for ourselves.

I need to stop  with this introduction to the thread.  (tired eyes).

Note: I will appreciate it if Slibhin might be willing to copy and paste her comments on  Satan- Devil- Lucifer-Angels here  fro m that other thread as part of her introductory posting on this thread.

(Ah perfect timing, the dinner bell just rang- my bride is calling   to me; Dinner is served.)

Love God  - Love one another 

I will like to emphasize learning  of words and terms that may have different meanings depending upon  one's own background, environment, doing so without arguing at all about them, instead hopefully just coming to an understanding that they have different affect upon us individually, as a start to this topic. 

It will be sufficient, as a start, to learn what words and terms do have a different inflection, tone, or meaning, so that crosstalking may be avoided. For if we talk or write without knowing the words have different meanings to some others than they do to ourselves  we simply confuse or even mislead each other as to our intended meaning when we share one with another.

May God Bless.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, Neighbor said:

Slibhin has pointed out a difference in understanding of Satan as example and of angels that certainly will 

Among Christians there can be very different ideas about this . . . for one example. So, I suppose not all Jews would have the same ideas about this, or about other matters.

So, in any case, I think it could be good to find out what a particular person feels and trusts. This might be less confusing and "challenging", than slapping on some individual Jew what you have decided must be what all Jews think :)

Otherwise, you could get into arguing against what the person doesn't even think. 

And God knows who is ready to be helped by what.

S:) . . . it is good to see you . . .

16 minutes ago, com7fy8 said:

This might be less confusing and "challenging", than slapping on some individual Jew what you have decided must be what all Jews think :)

That is not however what is going on, not on this attempt at a discussion thread.

An individual, Slibhin, was explaining why she  did not accept what "Christians" have to say  about certain things because, in her words, Jews have a very different belief.

I  find that interesting and am hopeful that it could be enlightening to me for the purpose of avoid cross-talking where we use same words, but have very different meaning behind them.

I had hope of  having some conversation  regarding words that have different meaning to various groups, starting with what Slibhin brought up about words Satan devil  Lucifer, and secondarily, fallen angels.

I am a little confused about what you personally understand regarding Satan. Is Satan a created being for instance or is Satan a force of God and not a separate created by God being.

Some  individuals  do not consider the Holy Spirit to be an entity, but an attribute or a force of God as comparison. 

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

haSatan as in Job is just doing his job as an investigator. However, later the "the" is removed as Satan (proper noun) is named as an adversarial entity against YHWH. (and therefor us believers).

The Holy Spirit is very real. I have been fortunate to be very close to "The Spirit of Jesus/Yeshua" in action and it is quite awe inspiring. The Holy Spirit is very real. The very real Power in the Cosmos.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,177
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

12 hours ago, com7fy8 said:

So, in any case, I think it could be good to find out what a particular person feels and trusts. This might be less confusing and "challenging", than slapping on some individual Jew what you have decided must be what all Jews think 

Do you understand how hurtful that sentence can be to a person of the Jewish faith/linage?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

7 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

haSatan as in Job is just doing his job as an investigator. However, later the "the" is removed as Satan (proper noun) is named as an adversarial entity against YHWH. (and therefor us believers).

The Holy Spirit is very real. I have been fortunate to be very close to "The Spirit of Jesus/Yeshua" in action and it is quite awe inspiring. The Holy Spirit is very real. The very real Power in the Cosmos.

I find myself agreeing with @Slibhin where Satan is concerned for the most part, though I don't agree that the sons of God lack their own volition. "TheSatan" continues in his role as agitator/accuser/tempter/deceiver as we see in the Gospels, when he tempts the Son of Man in the desert (wilderness). 

It's clear that from Adam of the dust to the Son of Man, Satan is OUR adversary. Nothing and no one can stand against the Lord. Seeing as how the Word humbled Himself, coming in this flesh born to a woman under the Law, it's fitting that He was also tempted as we are.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, other one said:

Do you understand how hurtful that sentence can be to a person of the Jewish faith/linage?

I do not think it is hurtful to say not all Jews have the same beliefs, and therefore it is wise to get to know each Jew and welcome him or her to speak for oneself.

It is well known that there are different groups of Jews, who do not all believe alike. So, saying this known fact is not hurtful, I would say.

• Thumbs Up 1