• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.98
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

3 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I could not agree more with what @AdHoc said above. Technically in theology, this is known as the doctrine of imminency. The apostle Paul thought Jesus's return could have happened in his lifetime by including "we."

1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

Jesus gave many things to watch for before His second coming, not the church's Rapture (or harpazo). There is an absolute convergence of everything Jesus spoke of for the terminal generation, who will see the upcoming tribulation.

I have often heard this expressed in a way that suggests they were mistaken. No, they were being obedient. They were instructed to live as if the master would return today. This is evident in the apostles approach, as to how Christians are to live, regardless of how long the Lord tarries before His return.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/12/1972

On 3/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, Mr. M said:

Luke 19:41-44 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, If you had known, even you, especially in this, your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes...                                                   because you did not know the time of your visitation.

Why were so many of the leadership in Israel blinded to Messiah?

Acts 2:22 Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 

Before Christ, came John...

Luke 7:28-30 For I say to you, among those born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. And when all the people heard Him, even the tax collectors justified God, having been baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him.

Knowing the Work of God requires a sincere desire to do His Will

John 7:

16 Jesus answered them and said, My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. 

17 If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God

or whether I speak on My own.

Believe in the one sent by God

John 6:

28 Then they said to Him, What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.

John 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

Matthew 21:24-26 But Jesus answered and said to them, I also will ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I likewise will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John—where was it from? From heaven or from men?  And they reasoned among themselves, saying,  If we say, From heaven, He will say to us, Why then did you not believe him?  But if we say, From men, we fear the multitude, for all count John as a prophet. So they answered Jesus and said, We do not know. And He said to them, Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.

Amen.  Heaven is really quite fair, orderly, and organized.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

40 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

We can only surmise, what this was about. My guess is that although John was the greatest of men as Jesus stated, he was a man....a man prepared for a specific purpose, which he did fulfill. While in prison and awaiting his own death, he was as any man--in need of assurance and comfort. I doubt there is any mystery or hidden meaning here. The LOrd's chosen tools have always been and will continue to be extraordinary for His purposes, but still having "this treasure in earthen vessels".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,504
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Mr. M said:

Personal expectations compromises our faith when they are not in line with scripture.

John 6:15 Therefore when Jesus perceived that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him king, He departed again to the mountain by Himself alone.

Not even Peter, who made the true confession of faith "You are the Son of God", was unable to avoid the catastrophic decision to deny Christ. When the Lord restored him, three times he was asked "do you love me"? Feed my lambs, feed my sheep. Peter now knew that it was not just about Him, that his life was to be dedicated to bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world.

Yes, I have studied the conversation between Jesus and Peter, and it is also interesting observing the Greek words and the meaning of love exchanged between them.

Yes, Peter lost something by denying Christ three times restored to him. The question is, what did Peter lose, his Salvation, his discipleship, apostleship, or what? (feed my sheep)

Depending on one’s hermeneutics (Calvinism vs. Arminianism), there is a wide range of interpretations.

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

On 3/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, Mr. M said:

Luke 19:41-44 Now as He drew near, He saw the city and wept over it, saying, If you had known, even you, especially in this, your day, the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from your eyes...                                                   because you did not know the time of your visitation.

Why were so many of the leadership in Israel blinded to Messiah?

Acts 2:22 Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 

Before Christ, came John...

Luke 7:28-30 For I say to you, among those born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he. And when all the people heard Him, even the tax collectors justified God, having been baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him.

Knowing the Work of God requires a sincere desire to do His Will

John 7:

16 Jesus answered them and said, My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me. 

17 If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God

or whether I speak on My own.

Believe in the one sent by God

John 6:

28 Then they said to Him, What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?

29 Jesus answered and said to them, This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.

John 1:6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

Matthew 21:24-26 But Jesus answered and said to them, I also will ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I likewise will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John—where was it from? From heaven or from men?  And they reasoned among themselves, saying,  If we say, From heaven, He will say to us, Why then did you not believe him?  But if we say, From men, we fear the multitude, for all count John as a prophet. So they answered Jesus and said, We do not know. And He said to them, Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.

Very sad,isn't it? Usually I read this Scriptures and count it all Joy,because I do Believe ...today,as I read,Im saddened for them that did not see the King of kings,the One they had been waiting for,their Hope & Salvation,Messiah,Lord of lords,God in the Flesh ....right in front of their face

Heartbreaking

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,504
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

I have often heard this expressed in a way that suggests they were mistaken. No, they were being obedient. They were instructed to live as if the master would return today. This is evident in the apostles approach, as to how Christians are to live, regardless of how long the Lord tarries before His return.

No debate here...

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member

Just now, Alive said:

We can only surmise, what this was about. My guess is that although John was the greatest of men as Jesus stated, he was a man....a man prepared for a specific purpose, which he did fulfill. While in prison and awaiting his own death, he was as any man--in need of assurance and comfort. I doubt there is any mystery or hidden meaning here. The LOrd's chosen tools have always been and will continue to be extraordinary for His purposes, but still having "this treasure in earthen vessels".

Everyone in Israel who believed in the coming of a Messiah had some sort of expectation associated with that belief. As already stated, many tried to take Christ and make Him King. John is struggling with his own expectations. "Aren't you supposed to restore the kingdom of Israel?"

Remember how Fiddler On the Roof ends?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member

3 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, Peter lost something by denying Christ three times restored to him. The question is, what did Peter lose, his Salvation, his discipleship, apostleship, or what? (feed my sheep)

Or perhaps his own self-worth, and the  purpose for his life. Once Christ restored him, Peter never looked back.

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Depending on one’s hermeneutics (Calvinism vs. Arminianism), there is a wide range of interpretations.

Let's not go there. That is for another forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.50
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

8 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Yes, I have studied the conversation between Jesus and Peter, and it is also interesting observing the Greek words and the meaning of love exchanged between them.

The only thing Peter lost was self-confidence. He learned that it is only in the Lord's strength that he can even get up in the morning.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,051
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Matthew 21:8 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way. [emphasis added]

Another question that has always nagged me. As prophesied to the day, on Palm Sunday, Jesus rode a colt into Jerusalem and was accepted by a very great multitude as their Messiah and King. Possibly a political leader to free them from the yoke of Rome. 

Matthew 27:23 And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified.

Where were these people and voices during the cries to crucify Jesus?

·         For fear, did they abandon their Messiah as Peter did?

·         Did the Pharisees and Sadducees change their minds?

·         Did something change in the interim?

Something happened ... I don't know what, but there were no people and no voices.

25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. (Matt.27:25)

I've seen firsthand the crowd-mentality of the Middle Eastern, but this was phenomenal.

• Thumbs Up 2