• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, FJK said:

Consider:  If you quit doing it, you won't be bothered by it.

Saw that response before, but that is profound!  :D

So the question is: Do I put the law on myself to try to accomplish this, or do I wait on Him to do it in me, or . . .?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

Do I put the law on myself to try to accomplish this, or do I wait on Him to do it in me, or . . .?

God helps you do it, he doesn't magically do it for you the way using Harry Potter's magic wand would.

I fully believe God wants us to make our own decisions, lets us decide any way we want, then helps us them if they are in accord with his will or lets us pursue them on our own when they aren't.

What do you think God wants you to do, have you consulted him about it?  There's absolutely nothing you can't do when you are doing what God wants you to do.

Just decide and go from there.  The results you are getting is what you are doing.

IMO, feel free to differ.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

12 minutes ago, FJK said:

God helps you do it, he doesn't magically do it for you the way using Harry Potter's magic wand would.

I fully believe God wants us to make our own decisions, lets us decide any way we want, then helps us them if they are in accord with his will or lets us pursue them on our own when they aren't.

What do you think God wants you to do, have you consulted him about it?  There's absolutely nothing you can't do when you are doing what God wants you to do.

Just decide and go from there.  The results you are getting is what you are doing.

IMO, feel free to differ.

I agree, and ditto regarding the magical wand thing. The formula (using a somewhat dangerous word here) is:

1) Realizing it is not according to His will and admitting to Him my inability in myself; 

2) Asking for His supply in doing it; 

3) Do it, looking to Him.

Does that sound about right?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

I agree, and ditto regarding the magical wand thing. The formula (using a somewhat dangerous word here) is:

1) Realizing it is not according to His will and admitting to Him my inability in myself; 

2) Asking for His supply in doing it; 

3) Do it, looking to Him.

Does that sound about right?

Well now I have all the theoretical head knowledge, but just need to apply it . . . right @FJK?

39 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Well now I have all the theoretical head knowledge, but just need to apply it . . . right @FJK?

You just have to make a decision, as Americas greatest 20th Century philosopher once said "When you come to a fork in the road, take it".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

"I find that when the saints are under trial and well humbled, little sins raise great
cries in the conscience; but in prosperity, conscience is a pope that gives
dispensations and great latitude to our hearts. The cross is therefore as needful
as the crown is glorious." - Samuel Rutherford

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I think the key can be moderation, Is it a sin to watch a TV show, a sports event? 

Well to start it is sin IF and I say IF one's spirit feels convicted by it. I suppose God at times would tell us with some things that NO he didn't convict us of a certain thing and it's OK to watch an odd sports event or whatever but do you do so using moderation? Have you had your prayer time with God for the day and I don't mean just a one minute prayer but a real time of fellowship with the Lord? Have you fed your spirit with God's word to strengthen yourself? 

Maybe the way to judge it is what gets most of your time? 10 minutes for God and then 3 hours of TV? How about it be turned around. How about God gets the larger time and secular things get's the smaller. 

As for me I have no desire or appetitive to want to watch modern TV shows. Yes perhaps they can spin a good story but they fill the character line up lets just call it social engineering taking place ot make people think about certain things a certain way. Sorry but not for me, I don't need nor do I want someone elses world view seeking to influence my mind or the minds of my kids in having their minds conditioned to think a certain way. I think one could call that fictional propaganda and our answer to that is NO. 

I favor letting one's spirit be their guide but be honest with your self. Is what you're putting in you truly beneficial? Years ago there was a well known Bible teacher advocating for people to throw their TV out. They lamented of how such a horrible thing they are and he got rid of his. Thing about it though...years later I heard him say he was flipping the channel and.....meaning he got rid of it and it seems eventually got another. I didn't but thought I'd like to write him a letter asking I thought you got rid of your TV. Pont....don't feel compelled by another's convictions where they seek to make you do what they do. They themselves may not end up being consistent but do ask yourself the good questions. Even  if what's on TV could at times be considered good do we let the good things of life rob us of the best things? Good for one to take that always to God in prayer and let HE and YOU  decide. 

• Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, Rockson said:

They lamented of how such a horrible thing they are and he got rid of his. Thing about it though...years later I heard him say he was flipping the channel and.....meaning he got rid of it and it seems eventually got another.

Preachers aside, maybe people should have listened to Zappa back in '73 when he wrote that insightful message in I'm the Slime.

It's something worth pondering.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

TV shows in and of themselves arnt necessarily evil. Me and my wife currently are enjoying Chicago fire and Chicago PD, neither of which are what I would say are spiritually uplifting and contains things such as violence, homosexuality and sex. (Nothing explicit) 

They are something we enjoy when we wind down for the night.

However, they are something that definitely shouldn't come between you and God. In our case we enjoy them...but we certainly can live without them.

If such shows come between you and God, then stop watching them. Different things affect different people differently, and remember that. What to me, is 45 minutes watching fictional cops beat up bad guys before bed, and nothing more, is to someone else an addiction that they should avoid at any cost. 

It's no different then many other things. I can have a shot of whiskey on the weekends, and be done. But to someone else, once they start they can't stop.

It's why the Bible says not to be a stumbling block. If you know someone struggles with alcohol don't offer them a drink when they come over (or drink yourself in their presence) and if they tell you that certain TV shows bother them, don't push them on them or belittle them for it. That TV can remain off and you can talk about other things.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, FJK said:

Preachers aside, maybe people should have listened to Zappa back in '73 when he wrote that insightful message in I'm the Slime.

It's something worth pondering.

The lines in that song come to me often whenever I contemplate TV, "I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away . . . have you guessed me yet?  I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set!" 

• Thumbs Up 1