IGNORED

Is There Too Much Emphasis On The Apocalypse?

Michael37

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

9 hours ago, George said:

If it's fear-based, then yes.  I've seen two different scenarios that are harmful to the body of Christ.  1st ... an escapism mentality that cripples what someone should be doing for the Kingdom.  2nd -- a fear-based mentality that sets up a bunker mentality.

If it's trying to wake up an apathetic church that needs to realize the time is short ... it should be a motivating factor to reach souls for the Kingdom!

So it depends on how it's presented and how it's received.

Exactly. When we remember what the Lord gives to us --- peace --- and how often He tells us that we have nothing to fear, the book of Revelation is a blessing to us indeed. 

I'm encouraged by His word... all of it! His promises are something we strive for. We are ready at all times for His return, living each day as if it were the last before the Son of God returns in the same manner that He ascended. That more than anything else is what I have gleaned from reading the book of Revelation over the years. It fills me to overflowing with hope.

I'm of one accord with you and our brother @Michael37 in this. Avoidance is not profitable and neither is fear-driven mania. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, FJK said:

How does concentrating on the Apocalypse help me be a better Christian in my daily life?

It’s not meant to make you a better Christian… but, it is to be used to encourage believers until Christ returns. It is the exercising and strengthening of your faith. 

Scripture actually contains many pertinent insights for end times believers, even instructions on how to survive the end times; although, no one will believe that because they don’t believe we’ll be here when it all happens. 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,119
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

20 hours ago, Michael37 said:

But is there actually too much emphasis on the apocalypse in some quarters?

This is like asking if there is too much emphasis on Genesis in some quarters.

Genesis provides the outline of God's plan of salvation. Revelation provides the culmination of that plan.

All the doctrines of the Bible (including the Law of Moses, a thorough knowledge of which is needed to understand Revelation) are summed up in Revelation. So this book is a test of one's biblical literacy.

Unfortunately, most people fail that test. But that is not the book's fault.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

On 6/20/2023 at 5:15 PM, Michael37 said:

Apocalyptophilia -"a love or fondness for the apocalypse". 

Apocalyptophobia -"a dislike or aversion to the apocalypse".

Apocalyptomania -"an excessive enthusiasm or excitement for the apocalypse".

I held office in the local Church of the Nazarene from 2010 to 2015 and during that time I observed very little mention of the Apocalypse.

When a former pastor of this assembly came back from Australia for a visit I mentioned to him that no-one seemed to have any enthusiasm for things apocalyptic.

His response was that as a denomination they felt there was too much emphasis on the Apocalypse, and that some denominations and movements were obsessed with it, something that was discouraged within the Church of the Nazarene.

It further transpired that he didn't preach from the Book of Revelation.

So according to the evidence, some are apocalyptophiles, some are apocalyptophobes, and some are apocalyptomaniacs.

The internet is buzzing with beliefs about the beasts and the battle to come.

But is there actually too much emphasis on the apocalypse in some quarters?

I don't know about the rest of my neighbors and brothers but the apocalypse can wait. I have grandkids to enjoy but as a Christian, I'm sad to say living in this lukewarm church age we've allowed it to get to this point just reflect 20 years. We've allowed the government to control our speech, life, and finances. I didn't realize it till recently with my grandkids and the world I left them. I bet the Great Generation were rolling in their graves for what the world became saying damn, our prosperous little boomers. 

Edited by Believer112

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.13

I had Apocalyptomania till I got “Apocalyptic Blues,” (Mosaic NLT Bible) and burn out from over fixation. I am not in the phobia camp now, but more of moderate path, where I still am passionate for Jesus’ Paraousia, but less interested in timelines and eschatological sectarianism. 

Edited by Solus Christus
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

To answer the OP:

Since most of the religious teaching establishments are Dispensational, we often find a skewed message from the pulpit and folk just imbibe it all without question. GULP GULP

Seems most churches require you check your brain in at the door as you enter, little discourse is encouraged. If you dare oppose the silly doctrines you might be shunned.

Oh well...:o

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.13

6 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

To answer the OP:

Since most of the religious teaching establishments are Dispensational, we often find a skewed message from the pulpit and folk just imbibe it all without question. GULP GULP

Seems most churches require you check your brain in at the door as you enter, little discourse is encouraged. If you dare oppose the silly doctrines you might be shunned.

Oh well...:o

Darby’s Dispensationalism has done great harm. His duo-covenant theology is a scourge. There is only One Way, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,686
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/07/1941

The Lord will arise!

Isaiah 28:21 The Lord will arise as He did on Mt Perazim, [1 Chron. 14:11] and storm with rage as He did in the valley of Gibeon, [Joshua 10:9-15] to do what He must do, to perform a strange and alien task.

Isaiah 29:5 Suddenly, in an instant the horde of your enemies will crumble into dust, punishment will come from the Lord, with thunder, earthquakes, with storm and tempest and flames of devouring fire.

Isaiah 13:6-13 Cry out: for the Day of the Lord is at hand, it will come in a mighty destruction. Fear will grip everyone, men will lose courage at the coming disaster.    That cruel Day of the Lord’s vengeance and wrath is coming to reduce all the earth to a desolation and to destroy the evil and godless people on it. It will be a Day of darkness, on the day that the Lord brings disaster onto the world and due punishment to the wicked. He will put an end to arrogance and will humble the pride of the ruthless. Humans will become as scarce as fine gold, on the Day that the heavens will be moved and the earth shaken from its place, at the wrath of the Lord, in the Day of His blazing anger.  Ref. REB, some verses abridged.

As Isaiah tells us: The Lord has in the past acted to destroy His enemies and now: once again, He will take action and instigate His fiery punishment.

Isaiah 42:14 Long have I restrained Myselfnow I groan like a woman in labour. I shall lay to waste the earth and cause the streams and lakes to dry up.  Isaiah 59:18, Isaiah 63:1-6, Isaiah 64:1-2, Psalms 68:1-2, Jer. 12:14, Deuteronomy 32:26-43

The Lord will arise, to perform a strange task – to punish His enemies, the attackers of Israel and to humble the godless.  Micah 4:11-12

Punishment will come from the Lord – not a nuclear war or anything instigated by man, but God controlled, triggered by an Islamic attack onto Israel. Psalms 83, Isaiah 21:2 & 22:6

Suddenly, in an instant – This is the event that ‘will come like a thief’, unexpectedly.

earthquakes – Earthquakes will be caused by the microwave effect of the  electromagnetic pulse in a huge Coronal Mass Ejection. Isaiah 30:26, Malachi 4:1, Revelation 6:12-17

devouring fire – The fireball of the high temperature cosmic plasma of a CME.

the Day of the Lord is at hand – This is the logical result of most of mankind’s rejection of God and His Laws. Hebrews 10:27

Fear will grip everyone – This sudden and shocking event will terrify all those people unaware of God’s plans. Ezekiel 7:15-19

a mighty destruction, to reduce the earth to desolation – A worldwide disaster.

a day of darkness – The approaching mass from the sun will obscure it, also smoke from city and forest fires and ash from volcanoes.

Humans will become scarce – Millions will die from the initial strike and millions more from famine afterwards. Jeremiah 9:22

the heavens move – the magnetosphere and the atmosphere will be pushed aside at the impact area; the Middle East. Ezekiel 30:1-5, Isaiah 34:4, Rev. 6:14

the earth will shake from its place – the hit from this CME may cause the earth’s orbit to speed up, thereby giving us a 360 day year, which is the prophetic year. Isaiah 24:1

His blazing anger – It is appropriate that the Lord will use the sun, our life sustainer, to judge mankind. Deut. 32:34-35 A CME solar flare perfectly and literally fulfils all the prophesied effects, but it will quickly pass by, leaving the world to recover. A world that will never be the same again and the stage will be set for all the other prophesied things to happen before the Return of Jesus for His Millennium reign.

Ref: Revised English Bible, logostelos.info                                                                             

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On 7/25/2023 at 6:53 PM, Solus Christus said:

I had Apocalyptomania till I got “Apocalyptic Blues,” (Mosaic NLT Bible) and burn out from over fixation. I am not in the phobia camp now, but more of moderate path, where I still am passionate for Jesus’ Paraousia, but less interested in timelines and eschatological sectarianism. 

Quote from my Copilot Chatbot

An Apocalexpert is someone who possesses specialized knowledge or expertise related to apocalyptic or eschatological topics. These individuals are well-versed in discussions about the end times, biblical prophecies, and the events associated with the final days according to various religious or cultural beliefs. Their insights often contribute to discussions about the Apocalypse, the Antichrist, and other related themes. 🌟

The term Apocalexpert could be used derogatively when it is employed to mock or belittle someone’s intense focus on apocalyptic or end-times scenarios. Here’s an example of how it might be used in a negative context:

“Oh, there goes John again, rambling about the Apocalypse and the Antichrist. He fancies himself an Apocalexpert, but honestly, it’s just annoying.”

In such cases, the term is used sarcastically or dismissively, implying that the person’s expertise or interest in apocalyptic matters is excessive or unwarranted. Remember that context and tone play a significant role in determining whether a term is used derogatively or not. 🌟

Blessings from Michael37.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

Christians need to warn the world and emphasize the apocalyptic end Times situation to people, just like Noah warned the ancient world.