• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.33
  • Content Count:  969
  • Content Per Day:  2.83
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Mike Mclees said:

Steward, what are you trying to reflect with these two scripture? I believe that if we are tempted and have a fall that this does not mean that we are not of the spirit. We must take in the whole of scripture. Satan knows our weakness and uses it against us. We overcome satan when we confess our sins to Christ who is just to forgive us.  

There is therefore now “no condemnation” to them which are “in Christ”Jesus, who walk not after “the flesh,” but after “the Spirit.”

What does it mean “not to walk after the flesh?”

It means you are no longer walking after the lusts of the flesh, which is walking ( or living) in sin.

When Christ makes us free from sin by being born again of the Spirit, we are NO LONGER IN THE FLESH.  But we are made a NEW MAN in Christ by the Spirit.  We are given a new heart/mind that now desires to do Gods will and walk only in righteousness.

If we are truly “made righteous” by spiritual rebirth and by being given the imputed Righteousness of Christ “in”us, then we will no longer walk in sin, but in Righteousness.

And sure, a born again Christian will be tempted, but like Jesus who was also tempted, we by Him “in us”can resist temptation and overcome sin, overcome the world, and overcome the wicked one.

This overcoming can only be accomplished by the power of Gods Son and Spirit working “in”us.

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

9 hours ago, Willa said:

The problem is that as soon as I see a sin defeated in my life, God reveals other to me!  We don't even see all our areas of imperfection--there are so many; some are uncharitable attitudes, occasionally it is a habit such as an ungodly thing that we say, often it is our thoughts that stray.  Lastly, as soon as we think we have achieved perfection we tend to become self righteous!  

Php 3:12  Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.

Php 3:13  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,

Php 3:14  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

@Willa This is indeed what happens as we "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3.18). We never stop learning, never cease to find out more about how we should pursue our pilgrim pathway before the Lord as we by His grace keep "looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12.2).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

There is sin that is done in ignorance, which can be forgiven per the law of God.

And the priest shall make an atonement for the soul that sinneth ignorantly, when he sinneth by ignorance before the Lord, to make an atonement for him; and it shall be forgiven him.
Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.”

But wilful sin is another matter.

Hebrews 10:26-31

King James Version

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

If a believer being an ex-alcoholic has a really bad day and finds himself going to a bar for a drink is he guilty of willfull sin?

Edited by Mike Mclees

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,560
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

16 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

If a believer being an ex-alcoholic has a really bad day and finds himself going to a bar for a drink is he guilty of willfull sin?

@Mike Mclees If this happens, the person needs to spent time in prayer and the Scriptures.

For example also, if a Christian bf and gf don't trust their feelings and start to wonder about using bc, what they need to do is spend time in prayer and the Scriptures.

When the desire for whatever it is, is taken away by the sheer wonder of obedient following of the Saviour in the light of His glorious Person and work at the Cross, this is a real blessing.

43 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

I don’t know the heart of the man, God knows.  I don’t know if this “believer”is truly born again of the Spirit or not, only God knows.

I personally believe that a lot of Church goers that struggle with sin may think they are born again, but are not.  Which is why they can’t overcome the temptation of sin.

Without being born again of the Spirit no man will be able to overcome sin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

If saints are still sinners then how could you tell the difference between a sinner and a saint?

Jesus said we would know them by their fruit.

For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

That is a parable about bearing fruit which can only be done through Christ, I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5) since we are so incapable of bearing fruit without Him. 

It’s not one of the other, we are saints and sons of God who bear fruit, and yet we continue to sin:

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and his word is not in us.”(1 John 1:8-10)

Edited by Solus Christus
  • Well Said! 1

22 minutes ago, Solus Christus said:

It’s not one of the other, we are saints and sons of God who bear fruit, and yet we continue to sin:

That is contrary to the words of God.

You will know a tree by his fruit, either good or evil.

good tree “cannot”bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Those who sin are not of God, but of the Devil

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Those who are born again of the Spirit do not sin.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
We know that whosoever is born of Godsinneth not; but he that is begotten of Godkeepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.”

A good tree “cannot” bear evil fruit!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

If saints are still sinners then how could you tell the difference between a sinner and a saint?

I can't understand why it's  so important for you to know, examining others to see if someone is still a sinner as a saint. I can tell you.  They are! Just like you. And me.

If you ever read any of the responses to your posts you will see, in the scriptures posted,  that God says all saints do sin, and, if they say they don't sin, then the truth is not in them, and you are calling God a liar. Think on that.

A saint, a born again set apart person, is not perfect, but forgiven.

I'm concerned about eliminating my own sins too much to be concerned about yours.

You still live in the corrupted flesh. As a saint, if a saint.

We should be more concerned about our own walk, our own sin, and not everybody else's sin problems. They belong to God, and are his children.

12 minutes ago, Sower said:

I can't understand why it's  so important for you to know, examining others to see if someone is still a sinner as a saint. I can tell you.  They are! Just like you. And me.

If you ever read any of the responses to your posts you will see, in the scriptures posted,  that God says all saints do sin, and, if they say they don't sin, then the truth is not in them, and you are calling God a liar. Think on that.

A saint, a born again set apart person, is not perfect, but forgiven.

I'm concerned about eliminating my own sins too much to be concerned about yours.

You still live in the corrupted flesh. As a saint, if a saint.

We should be more concerned about our own walk, our own sin, and not everybody else's sin problems. They belong to God, and are his children.

I’m not here to judge anyone personally.  I am here to warn sinners of the judgement to come if they continue in sin.

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  3

18 minutes ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

I’m not here to judge anyone personally.  I am here to warn sinners of the judgement to come if they continue in sin.

And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Do you mean practicing sin? There is a difference between practicing sin and stumbling in sin:

Anyone born of God refuses to practice sin, because God’s seed abides in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God.” (1 John 3:9) 

Practice means to make practice of and get good at it (“practice makes perfect”) and justifying it >saying it’s not sin which is an insult towards Jesus who died for those sins; it’d like saying, nah.. God you didn’t need to die for that. 

But all of us stumble in sin or as it really means in the Greek “missing the mark” like archery at a bullseye, the arrow missing the bullseye. For that there is forgiveness:

And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.” (1 John 2:1-2)

The issue is the attitude of the heart. A practitioner of sin goes Romans 6 and justifies sin till they reach the final stage of not calling it sin which calls God a liar and tramples on Jesus’ blood and sacrifice. A stumbler in sin or one who sins but confesses the sin, acknowledging Jesus died for it has the right attitude, they missed the mark and ask for forgiveness. 

Edited by Solus Christus
  • Well Said! 1