IGNORED

Is The Modern Day Church Format Found In The Bible?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Is the modern church we see today, as in, a Sunday morning service a few songs from a band are played, notices, then a sermon, then a few more songs, then a chat in a cafe, do we see this in the Bible? I think the answer is no.

Does this make it wrong? Or not entirely wrong, but it’s not exactly the bullseye of what God intended? It’s maybe outside the bullseye, so it’s doing something, souls are being won over, but maybe it’s not quite Gods first choice?

What do people think?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 minutes ago, Open7 said:

What do people think?

Quite a bit. We have many threads on the topic. 

Eph 5:18-21  Don’t be drunken with wine, in which is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,  (19)  speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs; singing, and making melody in your heart to the Lord;  (20)  giving thanks always concerning all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to God, even the Father;  (21)  subjecting yourselves to one another in the fear of Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

When we talk about what is not in the Bible it would be profitable to talk about what is in the Bible as well for the purpose of comparison and, if needed, correction.

To tell the truth, I don't know what a Biblically correct Church service should look like since I've only been exposed to modern services as conducted in various Churches.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I would say it depends on the church and denomination. Many churches are prosperity Gospel and work-based Salvation today. When the apostles started establishing the new churches, they were hosted by people in their home underground churches. I would not think they were making a loud noise of music and singing worship music unto the Lord because of Roman and Jewish persecution for the first couple of centuries.

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

What is a church, a building? No, the church is a body of believers coming together (the body of Christ) with one common and shared purpose. To worship, adore, honor, and praise the One who loves us, saved us, and the Creator of all that is. Christian soldiers are not confined just inside barracks but go forth into their community, sharing the Gospel and planting the seed to save souls. Jesus is the reason for every season.

Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

If Jesus is standing outside the church door knocking, asking to come in, the love for Jesus has left that church. If Jesus is not the head, center of attention, reason, praise, honor, and worship, it is just a building.

If Jesus is not first and foremost, we might as well have rock and roll musical entertainment, tickle the congregation’s ears, have a Starbucks coffee stand and babysitting services, and attendant parking to fill the pews and coffers.

1 Corinthians 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

It is hard to observe and partake of communion without a body of believers. The Lord appointed bishops, angels, and pastors over the churches to lead and feed His sheep.

Just my partial biblical view of what a church should be.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

On 9/24/2023 at 12:07 AM, Open7 said:

Is the modern church we see today, as in, a Sunday morning service a few songs from a band are played, notices, then a sermon, then a few more songs, then a chat in a cafe, do we see this in the Bible? I think the answer is no.

Does this make it wrong? Or not entirely wrong, but it’s not exactly the bullseye of what God intended? It’s maybe outside the bullseye, so it’s doing something, souls are being won over, but maybe it’s not quite Gods first choice?

What do people think?

as Michael said, there has been a number of discussions on here, and recently, concerning this.  Three of them can be found here: 

If you do a search on "primitive church" or "pilgrim church" on here, you may find even more threads.

Personally, I believe in the early church gatherings there was much more open participation by all members.  Today there is too often an emphasis on a few, up front.  I think that tends to squelch the full functioning of the body and its individual members.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

On 9/24/2023 at 8:07 AM, Open7 said:

What do people think?

May I suggest that you compare the church practices  you are familiar  with to the account given by Justin Martyr:-

‘On the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succors [give assistance to] the orphans and widows, and those who, through sickness or any other cause are in want, and those who are in bonds, and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead.’

this was written to explain how Christians worshipped and to show there was nothing anti social or rebellious  about it, he wrote in the 2nd century.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 9/24/2023 at 1:07 AM, Open7 said:

What do people think?

There is no one correct formula for a service, because no two people/fellowships/nations are alike.

Which is perfectly acceptable, because God loves diversity!

The only incorrect service is one in which the Holy Spirit is not involved.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

10 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

The only incorrect service is one in which the Holy Spirit is not involved.

And there it is!  And from my experience, the more that man brings in of the forms and traditions of man into the gathering of the ekklesia, the more the HS takes a back seat.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

Beginning  the assembly with praise and worship is established

So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of [f]necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 

Giving is established (2 cor 2:9)

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

Sitting under bible teaching is established

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the [a]communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.

Communion is established

So yeah pretty much it is biblical

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,205
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 9/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, Open7 said:

What do people think?

Hi Open,

From the diagram you can see where I place the public meeting organized by religious organizations.

image.png.4bbefc1df37012da0587a2adb1f23fc8.png

• Thumbs Up 1