IGNORED

What If: Paul and Barnabas came to your city and stayed one full year?

Mr. M

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

42 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Oh I disagree. I do credit readers of posts here ashaving the  the wisdom and discernment to know Paul did not literally come into my house, nor has Mary; however I'll share that an angel has physically done so.

Paul has spoken by command, and also  by permission. I hear in my heart as well as see with my eyes His words both as dictated and by his own pen all inspired of God via the Holy Spirit but none the his his words his vocabulary his style of presentation.

Paul's  words, more so than any other writers words gathered into the New Covenant portion of the Bible, lead me in my daily living experiences.

The problem I pointed out is not whether or not one has discernment or if one can understand what you meant behind your words, but what your words actually stated, that "Paul came into your house and has stayed some 44 years now.".   Which, in turn, is why I said "Words have meaning, be careful how you use them."  Keep in mind that people cannot read your mind and, at best, can only assume to understand what you mean.  I'd suggest to be clear, letting your words dictate the true meaning of your thoughts.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.77
  • Days Won:  1

People should keep in mind that these discussions are not propositions of Wittgenstein and should not be expected to be structured as such.

All people do not think the same so it should not be expected that all will understand the same, ask clarification when something said in a discussion isn't making sense to you and discussions become more productive.

My opinion, not to dismiss the opinions of others.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,135
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

Paul and Barnabas were called to serve the people of their own age, which was the commencement of the Church Age.

Others are called to serve in our age, which is the culmination of the Church Age.

The Lord calls those who are appropriate to their own times.

Guest AFlameOfFire
7 hours ago, FJK said:

If Paul and Barnabas came to my city I imagine they'd spend most of their time in jail while being prosecuted for hate speech.

^This^ by both so called church and secular authorities

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Just like God choose them to preach the gospel in their times,God has called us to do the same and to be fishers of men.

Luke 5:10, Jesus tells Simon, "Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men."

As born again believers living in the days we're living in we have to do the same,God placed us here in this time on earth to further the gospel and to spread the" Good NEWS "

The whole Bible is really focused on Jesus and that He's King forever,you can find Him all over in the O.T!

Jesus is King and how can we be like Paul these days? Be bold and preach the gospel and don't be afraid what men can do to us.

Who can be against us if God is for us?  Romans8:31.

If they came to my city,I offer them hospitality and love to spend time with them!

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

Without taking this too far off the rails . . . . Notice the phrase in vs 26 'they assembled with the church' . . . . 

Today many believers choose not to assemble with the rest of the church, so . . . Paul would have to go individually to their houses and teach them? How much longer would that take? From a purely logistics point of view, at best, that is at best a scheduling nightmare

Thank you for sharing this point Ray and I apologize for leaving this thread's tagline and I ask that you all indulge me.  I know there is a trend for people to serve God in ways that do not involve organized religion and in some camps, "organized religion," even carries a negative connotation.  But in the first century we have many references to the early Christians who gathered together for worship and for the visiting apostles, the logistics alone would be much more difficult if people served in their own homes only.  Thus, the pattern today should be for us to gather together, at least in homes, if not buildings, to share our faith and strengthen others.  About a 1/3 of the regular participants in my church tune in via zoom, because of advancing age and illnesses, but at least the 2/3 of us are there in person.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  666
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, BibleStudent100 said:

Thank you for sharing this point Ray and I apologize for leaving this thread's tagline and I ask that you all indulge me.  I know there is a trend for people to serve God in ways that do not involve organized religion and in some camps, "organized religion," even carries a negative connotation.  But in the first century we have many references to the early Christians who gathered together for worship and for the visiting apostles, the logistics alone would be much more difficult if people served in their own homes only.  Thus, the pattern today should be for us to gather together, at least in homes, if not buildings, to share our faith and strengthen others.  About a 1/3 of the regular participants in my church tune in via zoom, because of advancing age and illnesses, but at least the 2/3 of us are there in person.

No worries . . . I am not the moderator, or, the OP of this post. LOL. Yes, I agree that the biblical pattern for us as modern day believers is to assemble face to face, and that we should for multiple reasons. IF I elaborate on them I too would be leaving the OP intended subject. LOL.

On a general note: My church live streams our services for those who cannot attend, and for our friends who live too far away to attend (most of which have their own churches they attend) but come an visit us from time to time when in our area. Live streaming is a lot of work to do it right, and though we are not 'professional' as other church bodies, we at least avoid most of the pit falls of poorly done streaming. Our streams end up on our church website and also on YouTube. As an elder/teacher I share Wednesday night teaching with other church leaders. I do admit that the live streaming has rattled me in the past because I know that my teachings can be replayed, and dissected, and picked apart by those who love finding fault in my delivery style, grammar, and more.  On the flip side of this, I am more focused, direct, on topic, and biblically evaluated by myself because I know that when I say something wrong, my critics are waiting for me to mess up and replay my mistakes pointing out just how bad I am (even though my heart is to serve Jesus and my brothers and sisters). So . . . . streaming is a mixed blessing that helps me be more accurate and balanced.

Ummm . . . now I am rambling on and very off topic . . . apologies  . .  

Grace and Peace . . . Ray . . . 

• Thanks 1