• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, FJK said:

OK, but what made him wicked and slothful?  Why was simply protecting his masters money to keep it safe a wicked thing to do?

In 1st Corinthians 3 it says that we are all involved in the building of God's House. For this, each one is given something to contribute. Some have this resource and some have that resource. but all are building. In Matthew 7:21-29 it is confirmed that we are all building. Since this House is "spiritual" (1st Pet.2:4) the gifts that the Lord gives are spiritual (1st Cor.12). If you take the gift that God has given you for building His House, and bury it for safekeeping, you purposely overturn God's plan. You will have your Talent taken away, and stopped from entering the kingdom. To thwart the Lord's purpose is "wicked". To not work on God's House is "slothful". For thinking that God is a hard task-master, you will be judged as if He were.

I would like to end with a thought. The system of Church meeting today is not biblical. It does not give men and women the chance to use their Talent. If you find that you are doing nothing in the building of a spiritual House, it is because of the system in the Churches today - not because you buried your talent.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

17 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

But then it is a parable and people and things are only representative. We know the Lord is represented as a `calf,` and a Lamb etc. Also, it is the Lord Himself who is telling the parable and He had not died then. 

God the Father THROUGH the Son bore our sins. It is the Son who is called like a calf, Lamb etc. 

I think the "finest robe" being put on him is also a picture of Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, AdHoc said:

In 1st Corinthians 3 it says that we are all involved in the building of God's House. For this, each one is given something to contribute. Some have this resource and some have that resource. but all are building. In Matthew 7:21-29 it is confirmed that we are all building. Since this House is "spiritual" (1st Pet.2:4) the gifts that the Lord gives are spiritual (1st Cor.12). If you take the gift that God has given you for building His House, and bury it for safekeeping, you purposely overturn God's plan. You will have your Talent taken away, and stopped from entering the kingdom. To thwart the Lord's purpose is "wicked". To not work on God's House is "slothful". For thinking that God is a hard task-master, you will be judged as if He were.

I would like to end with a thought. The system of Church meeting today is not biblical. It does not give men and women the chance to use their Talent. If you find that you are doing nothing in the building of a spiritual House, it is because of the system in the Churches today - not because you buried your talent.

Thanks for that response. I would add this - by what the unfaithful servant said, "I knew you were a hard man . . ." it showed he did really know his master very well.  So he was in fear of his master, and allowed that fear to constrain him. "For God has not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, and love and a sound mind." (2 Tim 1:7)

And agreed on the present, prevailing church system. (now I'm really contributing to the derailment of my own thread! :wink_smile:)  As I visit different groups, and watch many assemblies on TV, it is so apparent to me that regardless how good the message, the focus is on a very few who are up front.  These leaders are participating and exercising their talent, yet so many members of the body of Christ are lethargic in that system, and near atrophy.

If the church participation thing gets much traction here, lets start another thread.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

I think the "finest robe" being put on him is also a picture of Christ.

Yes, I said that to Ad Hoc earlier on. 

The robe of righteousness because of the sacrifice of the Lord, (calf).

Both reveal the work of the Saviour. An extreme sacrifice. 

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

I believe there is something we have not looked at with this parable and that is to whom it was referring to.

Jesus was speaking to the people of Israel, some had gone their own way, (prodigal) while others had obeyed the Law but not from the heart, (the son at home).

Jesus was pointing out that the Father is waiting with forgiveness if they would but humble themselves before Him. 

A truly poignant picture of the Father`s great heart for even wayward Israel.