IGNORED

Should Christmas be celebrated or rejected according to the word of God?

Bro.Tan

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, Mr. M said:

You seem to have quite the expertise on paganism. Why do you think this is important and desire to teach what is of no edification?

Romans 16:19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and innocent concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.

You are engaging in the very legalistic behavior Paul warned against.

Romans 14:4 Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm. 8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners...

This I know for a truth, the more I know of the scriptures and the truth, the less I am interested in the things of this world. So teach the scriptures, not the things of this world.

Non of the verses you quoted is Paul talking against legalistic behavior, now maybe an illlegalistic behavior. 

It’s easy for people to say how much they love the Lord, they may be able to deceive man, but God knows the mind. Many profess they know God, but in their works they deny him everyday. Paul said in (Titus 1:16) They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him; being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. Yea, most people like you are talking about how you know God with your lips, but by they works you are doing something totally different. The Lord God commanded you to remember the Sabbath day (which is the seventh day of the week) to keep it holy and you deny him to his face by saying “I go to church on Sunday (the first day of the week) because Paul broke bread on Sunday”. There's no other day to go to church on, but what's written in the Bible. So people like you have been taught to do the things thats not written in the Bible and to use the Bible to justify it.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, Marathoner said:

Your argument is flawed, @Bro.Tan.

The numbers we use are Hindu-Arabic in origin, credited to two Middle-Eastern mathematicians. They were pagans.

The alphabet we are using on this forum has it's origins with the Phoenicians. They were Philistines and pagans.

The New Testament was written in Koine Greek, a language of pagans. 

When will you stop engaging in pagan customs, my friend? Seeing as how the Lord taught us to examine ourselves first, see to your own conduct before teaching others to do as you say, not as you do. 

Thank you for responding, peace in Jesus name

Myths Concerning Jesus 

"And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that the entire world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn". (St. Luke 2:1-7)

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, inquired of them diligently what time the star appeared. And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also. When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh". (St. Matthew 2:1-11)

The bible record of the birth of Jesus doesn't give a date for his birth. Even Herod, the King of Judea, didn't know the date of Jesus birth; so how can we know it? The wise men (maybe 2 or 300), the bible didn't give a number, found the young child (not infant) in the house (not the manger). Well, so much for that fairy tale.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,119
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

I see the holiday Christmas as very plyable mainly becuase there are many facets to it.

If a believer decides to observe it great. If not great. If the day is used to honor God I don't see how that can possibly be a bad thing.

Like most churches my church has sevices around the holiday. I attend them because I was asked to sing and because it's a church service to worship the Lord.

We all know it isn't His actual birthday, yet Jesus prexisted so dates aren't really  really so pertinent. We also know the events as described in most settings around this time are inaccurate, yet we DO know God sent His Son here in very humble means and maybe it's a time to simply remember that peaceful scene when the king of the universe arrived.

Here's a pic of my tree BT enjoy, please have some egg nogg on me. We have been too lazy to put the ornaments on it. Merry Christmas Bro Ho Ho Ho! I'll be in heaven with you man.

You see I seperate that part of Christmas away from the other part. God gave us the ability to have pretty things to look at. 

tree.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,983
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  235
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive: Now I know it is coming close to Christmas .. we have finally got an " I hate / it is all wrong ./ I am right and you are all evil " thread this year. Normally it is at least 3 of them and yet the tradition goes on and even if just for one day thanks to this celebration many people find more kindness than for the rest of the year 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.13
  • Days Won:  31

On 12/9/2023 at 3:21 PM, Anne2 said:

Hi bro tan

It doesn't matter. That he was to born is what matters. 

It's a wondrous, historical event! @Anne2 .............. :)

"Born that man no more may die;
Born to raise the sons of earth;
  Born to give them second birth."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.13
  • Days Won:  31

On 12/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, Renskedejonge said:

Yes!

I once looked it up and Jesus came into the world with Hanukkah, so around Christmas. The Light came into the world.

https://lightofzion.org/biblical-feasts/the-feast-of-lights-hanukkah-and-messiahs-incarnation/

@Renskedejonge It's wondrous that all that is genuinely derived from the OT will ultimately point to the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  10,295
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

3 hours ago, Starise said:

I see the holiday Christmas as very plyable mainly becuase there are many facets to it.

If a believer decides to observe it great. If not great. If the day is used to honor God I don't see how that can possibly be a bad thing.

Like most churches my church has sevices around the holiday. I attend them because I was asked to sing and because it's a church service to worship the Lord.

We all know it isn't His actual birthday, yet Jesus prexisted so dates aren't really  really so pertinent. We also know the events as described in most settings around this time are inaccurate, yet we DO know God sent His Son here in very humble means and maybe it's a time to simply remember that peaceful scene when the king of the universe arrived.

Here's a pic of my tree BT enjoy, please have some egg nogg on me. We have been too lazy to put the ornaments on it. Merry Christmas Bro Ho Ho Ho! I'll be in heaven with you man.

You see I seperate that part of Christmas away from the other part. God gave us the ability to have pretty things to look at. 

tree.jpg

Bro ho ho ho?

I like it, bro! That's pretty close to linguistic custom in New Mexico Spanish Land Grant country. "Bro" is used for emphasis when men speak with other men as a token of friendship and respect. No one knew me up there but when they learned how I was looking after my adopted mother, they stopped by her land to introduce themselves and greet me. 

Every year during the fall, they would drop off a few cords of firewood at her gate as a token of their appreciation. It was humbling because they only did that for one another. 

End of mushy sentimental story, bro. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

5 hours ago, Starise said:

tree.jpg

In the scriptures it's written Jeremiah 10: Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good. But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities. 

So we see how the lord warned us about this in Jeremiah days, not to do this. Paul says in Romans 15:  For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. 

Let's look at some of the absurd things applied to the day that man has set for the birthday of the Son of God, Jesus the Christ, our Savior. Santa Clause, Ole Saint Nick, that jolly old fat man that lives in the North Pole, runs a workshop with Elves (little people) and ride on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer. He is reported to deliver gifts to all good children around the world on Christmas, beginning at midnight and being done before morning. Entering houses by landing his sleigh on the rooftops and descending down the chimney with his bag of toys on his back. Once in the house, he puts the toys around the Christmas tree, eats the cookies and drinks the milk that is left for him before going to the next house. Sometimes taking time to get a kiss from mommy. Well, according to history, Saint Nicholas, who they portray Santa Clause, or Ole Saint Nick after, was a 4th century Bishop of Myra, which is located in Asia Minor , on the southwestern coast of the Mediterranean Sea. 

A long way away from the North Pole! Also, according to Webster student dictionary, the definition for Nick, "The Devil" usually Old Nick. Now, is it possible to travel around the world in less than 24 hours stopping at every house? Reindeers don't fly; Christmas takes place in winter, so there's fire in the fireplaces to keep the house warm. What do you think would happen to a fat man trying to come down a chimney with a bag of toys on his back with a fire in the fireplace? If it's suppose to be Jesus birthday; why do we have to buy each other presents and what do we give him? A day filled with drinking, resulting in drunkenness, a day with a lot of fornication and adultery taking place. A day filled with lies pertaining to him. And what do a decorated tree, mistletoe, Yule logs, fire and lights have to do with Jesus? 

The modern Christmas tree can easily be traced back to seventeenth century Germany; branches of holly and mistletoe were likewise displayed. Not only did these plants remain green through the winter months, but they also bore fruit at that time, thus symbolizing life in an otherwise dead season.