• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, this has been on my heart lately.

I am unfortunately double minded in this and currently unstable in my ways about it at the moment.

I have brought this to God in prayer but... I think I need to be more earnest in it.

The church that I attend is a candidate to give to... but I am not certain the Holy Spirit is confirming this is where resources should go.

In my flesh... I feel conflicted as I want to see God's resources go to local need in the metropolitan area I am near.  There is severe homelessness/ drug abuse/ and I am sure children and widows affected in the mess.

BUT at the same time... the charities run there are very few Christian ones.  The few that are aligned with the faith "disguise" there operations... where they talk around Christ but never directly say his name or mention sharing the gospel directly in the shelters or rehab facilities.

And maybe they have to do that in this area... I dont know.  That concerns me though.

And I also feel a need to find a charity that helps with the situation in Israel.  But...  I just never know how to be sure that the money is actually reaching the mission.

Do you just give and pray to God and thank him for his blessing and faithfulness and think not another thought about where or who you gave to?

Or is there a lesson in the parable where the workers were expected to "invest" the money their master gave them wisely?  (The parable where one of them just hid the money and earned nothing.)

I am looking for guidance here spiritually and literally (like if you have some ideas for solid Christian ministries in the US and Israel... not limited to them of course.)

Many thanks and God bless.

Edited by Gabriel80
Spelling

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @Gabriel80

Don't feel the stress of needing to tithe, as the tithe was originally for the Levites and Temple administration and livelihood.  Instead, give happily and without heaviness. 10% is still fine but don't let the give feel burdensome and go over 10% willingly if the cause is a good one.

You are wise to be cautious though. And just giving to a charity that then squanders your funds I don't think counts as a credit to you, even though you gave righteously. Because of this, it will be a fearful day for abusive/irresponsible/deceptive charities at the end.

If you want to give 100% of your donation to those in need (without anything taken out for marketing and running cost etc) there's the website Acts435.org.uk.  Otherwise, give to those Christian charities who may be local to you and do a good job after researching their charity and website thoroughly.  Or the Salvation Army, though mainstream, genuinely do a great job in helping the poor. Barnabasfund I think are quite good too. 

I hope that helps.

Peace.

• Well Said! 1

Thank you, @Tzephanyahu

That helps.

I know the nudge is there in my spirit to give.

I am ok with marketing/ fundraising costs... that's necessary to a degree.

I just want to be sure I am approaching this via God's will.

I am waiting upon the Lord's guidance to be sure... I just get feelings of guilt from the accuser as time passes and I have not acted...  if that makes sense.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79

2 minutes ago, Gabriel80 said:

I am waiting upon the Lord's guidance to be sure... I just get feelings of guilt from the accuser as time passes and I have not acted...  if that makes sense.

Hi @Gabriel80

I wouldn't be so sure that this is the accuser. It may be the Holy Spirit is prompting you seriously on the matter and the guilt you feel is probably from your own heart. 

If Satan was involved in your situation, he'd surely make you feel good about not giving and to be selfish.  It doesn't serve his purposes to encourage you to give (even through accusation and guilt) because then you'd give and he'd be shamed.  

I would say make it your mission to research this today and approach it as with the diligence of choosing a school for your child. I know it's  a messy job as there are so many out there but if you really get stuck, try Acts435 and look through the needs there. Some aren't so important but some are and your donation could make a real impact of someone's life who is struggling with debt.  Thats got to be a good thing. But act before this time tomorrow to give yourself some peace of mind and to take control of this.

Analysis paralysis is understandable in this situation, but it isn't acceptable for the long term.  Good intentions but inaction counts for nothing. In fact, in can count as a minus point. I don't say this to shame you at all. But as a brother saying "watch out for that pothole!"

But again, shake off the heaviness and feel excited that you will be helping someone with your money soon. Forget it as a duty and instead embrace it compassionately and your donation will be a light travelling through a network to reach the needy.

Peace

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,090
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

What I do now, the only one who gets money from me is my ex, cause those people who used to let him serve them for free and make loads of debts are like bye good luck we dont care. I never give a cent to a good cause with a paid director. If that man gets 100.000 a year he can pay it himself. I'm not gonna pay his salary. I once gave an Indian guy on Facebook. It was not a scam. He was feeding the real poor during covid and I got some extra from my sister, but then he wanted money too for himself for the doctor (I cant even pay a doctor for myself. Use your faith or let that rich doctor do it for free of whatever but do not irritate me) and I got so angry but he kept going on and I blocked him. He had a spoiled wife who stood there dumb. I am a wife. Man must take care of me. Hello! Am I your mother? I already have 3 kids to take care of. And his mother did nothing either and he didnt work. No he wanted to be a pastor in India. You cant even be a pastor in Holland. Get a job and leave me alone. Lately a guy on Facebook said in a video: I urge you to give to these poor Jews in Ukrain. I looked him up. He works for free. Finally a normal one. I gave to that.

Edited by Renskedejonge
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94

Just follow your heart when you give, everyday do something nice for someone you've never met and never will.

What you put into the world is what comes back to you and increases your ability to put more of it into the world.  Put good things into the world for no other reason than to put good things into the world and get good things back, put selfish and evil things into the world and get selfish and evil things back.

Put a blessing -actually say it- on the money you give no matter where or why you give it and you commit it to God and his work, this is how we give to God and it can be done every time we give or spend money on anything.

Try it for one day with no intention to get anything out of it  for yourself, then another and maybe another after that.  Your attitude will start changing as you do and the stress over it will go away.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate all the responses.

I feel more at peace at this point... and confident.

I will focus on this in my prayer life for today.

God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

12 hours ago, Gabriel80 said:

Yes, this has been on my heart lately.

I am unfortunately double minded in this and currently unstable in my ways about it at the moment.

I have brought this to God in prayer but... I think I need to be more earnest in it.

The church that I attend is a candidate to give to... but I am not certain the Holy Spirit is confirming this is where resources should go.

In my flesh... I feel conflicted as I want to see God's resources go to local need in the metropolitan area I am near.  There is severe homelessness/ drug abuse/ and I am sure children and widows affected in the mess.

BUT at the same time... the charities run there are very few Christian ones.  The few that are aligned with the faith "disguise" there operations... where they talk around Christ but never directly say his name or mention sharing the gospel directly in the shelters or rehab facilities.

And maybe they have to do that in this area... I dont know.  That concerns me though.

And I also feel a need to find a charity that helps with the situation in Israel.  But...  I just never know how to be sure that the money is actually reaching the mission.

Do you just give and pray to God and thank him for his blessing and faithfulness and think not another thought about where or who you gave to?

Or is there a lesson in the parable where the workers were expected to "invest" the money their master gave them wisely?  (The parable where one of them just hid the money and earned nothing.)

I am looking for guidance here spiritually and literally (like if you have some ideas for solid Christian ministries in the US and Israel... not limited to them of course.)

Many thanks and God bless.

First off, I don’t believe 10% is the standard….2 Cor 9 is my standard…

2 Corinthians 9:7 (ESV) Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Our Pastor of our previous church wanted to know why we don’t give 10% to the church because to be  a deacon or elder that has to be a given.  Guess what?  We shortly left that church. 

Now, as for who you should give to….my wife and I give to where our hearts are screaming for us to give to….we are sure God is ruling our hearts and minds, so our desires we are sure are His….

World Vision is a Christian based organization that helps communities who are struggling and in need for the basics necessary in life….can’t go wrong with that…..people in need +God based. 

As for Israel,  we give to “One for Israel”….but their primary purpose is sharing Jesus to Jews. But they also help in other ways…especially during this present war. 

And we give to the Joshua fund. Here is a link….see for yourself….https://www.joshuafund.com/about/our-story?gclid=CjwKCAiA29auBhBxEiwAnKcSqqH_3uXqbyk36WtgBSRe2mXM-9u4pxqlSLGqsXE0sye7b3rSuA7d4BoCDLUQAvD_BwE

I hope this helps. -S

• Thanks 1

Folks, happy to report that I completed my tithing.

I feel at ease... my spirit is joyful.  The gifts are recurring, monthly, and I spread them about... between my church, a local Christian homeless ministry, a local Christian radio broadcast, and a ministry in Israel ran by Jews spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So, thank you for the encouragement as brothers and sisters in Christ.  You all have blessed me, many thanks.

Your words confirmed all the thoughts that my flesh and my spirit were waring over.  God is good... I have had just about every "argument" with myself along the very words that each of you have individually written.

Amen!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 2/21/2024 at 10:16 PM, Gabriel80 said:

I completed my tithing

It good to learn you have resolved your queries about giving.

It's good to see someone being responsible  about where and how their giving is used.

• Thanks 1