• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.13
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Every time I read through threads in the Prophecy/Eschatology forum, the members seem to express themselves with total authority, as if what they are saying is factual, rather than speculation. And yet they differ sharply point by point of view.

As a witness, what I often see is men and women following current events and trying to fit them into prophetic fulfillment. 

Is this appropriate? Is this a mandate of Christ?

Is this occupying until He comes or an endless distraction from the Lord's Great Commission?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/10/2024 at 4:41 PM, Mr. M said:

Every time I read through threads in the Prophecy/Eschatology forum, the members seem to express themselves with total authority, as if what they are saying is factual, rather than speculation. And yet they differ sharply point by point of view.

As a witness, what I often see is men and women following current events and trying to fit them into prophetic fulfillment. 

Is this occupying until He comes or an endless distraction from the Lord's Great Commission?

It would seem that the study of world events and a comparison to what is predicted in the Bible was exactly what our Lord Jesus had in mind when He castigated Israel in Luke 19:

41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, 42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. 43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, 44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Israel had the Oracles of God and Jesus fulfilled over 330 prophecies before their eyes. They are accused by the Lord for not recognizing that these were what they looked for. Like all men, we need to read it, consider it, study it and hear what other men think. This takes time. In this time the human mind will hold something. And because of reasoning, or lack of it, we all, at one time or another, hold the wrong thing. It's not a sin.

For instance, you set "The Great Commission" as the sole object of our time and study. You say this with authority. But I might answer that this term does not appear in scripture and that the main theme of the New Testament is the KINGDOM. But our brother (the other poster) might think that we should spend our time on the "unsearchable riches of Christ". After all, that was Paul's goal.

But, you'll be missed. In my few and short exchanges with you I found a knowledgeable and astute mind. Go well.

On 3/11/2024 at 4:33 PM, AdHoc said:

It would seem that the study of world events and a comparison to what is predicted in the Bible was exactly what our Lord Jesus had in mind when He castigated Israel in Luke 19:

41 And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, 42 Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. 43 For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, 44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Israel had the Oracles of God and Jesus fulfilled over 330 prophecies before their eyes. They are accused by the Lord for not recognizing that these were what they looked for. Like all men, we need to read it, consider it, study it and hear what other men think. This takes time. In this time the human mind will hold something. And because of reasoning, or lack of it, we all, at one time or another, hold the wrong thing. It's not a sin.

For instance, you set "The Great Commission" as the sole object of our time and study. You say this with authority. But I might answer that this term does not appear in scripture and that the main theme of the New Testament is the KINGDOM. But our brother (the other poster) might think that we should spend our time on the "unsearchable riches of Christ". After all, that was Paul's goal.

But, you'll be missed. In my few and short exchanges with you I found a knowledgeable and astute mind. Go well.

Here is my somewhat simple position on this topic. I believe the first person to read the Book of Revelation once it was recorded was Satan. The same enemy of the people of God then is the prince of this world and the enemy of God's people now. He has had 2000 years of influence on world events to spin deceptions and "prophetic knockoffs" to deceive even the very Elect. Therefore, it is my opinion that to follow current events and try to fit them into someone's personal interpretation of prophecy is to play directly into his hand.

In other words, I believe that the prophecy/eschatology forums on Christian discussion sites is Satan's playground, and there are far too many willing participants. The Lord Christ Jesus told us exactly how to apply His Word to our lives. Some try to interpret this narrowly, but I believe it must be applied across the board.

John 14:

29 And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe. 

30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.

What this says to me is that we should not try to predict anything beforehand, but if we are obedient we will simply watch.

Mark 13:37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!

To my simple understanding, this is what the Lord means here.

Revelation 1: 3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

I also believe that my position is the only way to avoid this condemnation:

Revelation 22:

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 

19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

To keep the prophetic word is to follow the example of the Lord's Blessed Mother

Luke 2:19 But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.94
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Mr. M said:

Here is my somewhat simple position on this topic. I believe the first person to read the Book of Revelation once it was recorded was Satan. The same enemy of the people of God then is the prince of this world and the enemy of God's people now. He has had 2000 years of influence on world events to spin deceptions and "prophetic knockoffs" to deceive even the very Elect. Therefore, it is my opinion that to follow current events and try to fit them into someone's personal interpretation of prophecy is to play directly into his hand.

In other words, I believe that the prophecy/eschatology forums on Christian discussion sites is Satan's playground, and there are far too many willing participants. The Lord Christ Jesus told us exactly how to apply His Word to our lives. Some try to interpret this narrowly, but I believe it must be applied across the board.

John 14:

29 And now I have told you before it comes, that when it does come to pass, you may believe. 

30 I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming, and he has nothing in Me.

What this says to me is that we should not try to predict anything beforehand, but if we are obedient we will simply watch.

Revelation 1: 3 Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Revelation 22:

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 

19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

To keep the prophetic word is to follow the example of the Lord's Blessed Mother

I am in agreement with you on this.

The way I see it is that it is good to understand the prophecies only in relation to how I can practice their lessons in my daily life today and absolutely not good to study them to the extent we fail to understand that they are meant to give us lessons we can live by, not ones that distract us from being Christian in all of our activities.

Take care of today and leave tomorrow to take care of itself.  Concentrate on tomorrow and today goes untended with our lives as Christians becoming diminished in the present.

Just my way of seeing it, not to discount the views of others.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  1.03

12 hours ago, Mr. M said:

John 14:

Revelation 22:

Agreed.

(I don't know about the prophecy forum being Lucifer's playground here... but I get how you arrived at that.)

Edited by Gabriel80
Additional thought.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

12 hours ago, Mr. M said:

John 14:

Revelation 22:

Thanks for showing your view. .

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Gabriel80 said:

Agreed.

(I don't know about the prophecy forum being Lucifer's playground here... but I get how you arrived at that.)

He certainly doesn't leave us alone because we are on a Christian Forum, unless we in a Spirit of Unity resist him. I would identify the P/E forum as a high value target for him. All I am saying, and that those who participate take extra caution, for "we are not to be ignorant of his devices".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 3/10/2024 at 10:41 AM, Mr. M said:

I see this too and have somewhat mixed feelings about it. My paternal grandmother was very firm in her pre-trib Rapture beliefs and participating in the practice you've described. My upbringing was saturated with it, and it wasn't until well into my adult life that I was exposed to the different views on the topic and considered the other perspectives. I feel like the degree of certainty and pushing advanced concepts on me as a child did more harm than good. There were many nights I spent in bed as a terrified young teenager worried to the point of tears and panic that I'd missed the rapture. I absolutely believe she meant well, but it's hard to deny the impact that had on me. These days I agree that we're called to watch.

I don't have a problem with eschatological topics, or in speculation about it and how current events might fit into it. The key thing IMO is to recognize that it's speculation. Presentation and frequency matter a whole lot. There are members here that I personally enjoy engaging in such speculation with. They're humble about it, and it's a point of Christian fellowship for us. I can't speak for the others in such threads but the discussions tend to leave me feeling positive, serving as a reminder that this world will one day be replaced with a far better one. That said I wouldn't exactly want it to be the meat and potatoes of my Christian walk, just a portion of it that exists on the side. The way I see it we should watch as we're called to and discussing current events in relation to prophecy can be a form of that, but we also need to take the rest of the Bible into account. There's a lengthy section of Luke 12 going from verse 35 and onward that tells us to watch. But there's also a very strong warning against being the sort of servant who knows what we should be doing yet fails to get ready or do God's will. Watching is part of the equation, but not the entirety of it.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  1.03

41 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

He certainly doesn't leave us alone because we are on a Christian Forum, unless we in a Spirit of Unity resist him. I would identify the P/E forum as a high value target for him. All I am saying, and that those who participate take extra caution, for "we are not to be ignorant of his devices".

Yes sir.  Agreed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/10/2024 at 10:41 AM, Mr. M said:

End times in scripture is like walking in a maze, TO ME!
I defer to the best authority God as he reveals to me. 

Seems I remember something about getting my house in order as the day approaches.
Storing up riches that perishes not. The Bema seat will reveal my/our prideful foolishness.
I remember in scripture some warnings I think about wanting to know what even Jesus didn't know.
I don't speculate on what is revealed about the past or future, unknown clearly.  God knows, and can handle it.

Today is the day of the Lord. I enter into another opportunity to serve, our savior, or world flesh devil.
I really prefer to know more about walking in the spirit, abiding in Christ, dealing with spiritual warfare etc.

It's a neat feeling talking to a stranger about how God has changed my life, and can change theirs.
Doesn't everyone feel that?
I think it is important to be a good steward of what I already know.
The purpose of hearing is to direct my doing, my walk.  Today.

Thanks   Mr. M....

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1