• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  4.73
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

I used to be an alcoholic. I was drinking very often (up to 3-5 times a week). The last time i was drunk was about 4 or 5 years ago. Jesus delivered me.
I have no need for alcohol. No cravings. I only drink wine now in small amounts, when i take communion.
Praise Jesus

I am a recovering alcoholic and if I drink a drink, I will be a full blown, obnoxious alcoholic losing my self control to regulate my drinking. Driving by a billboard advertising a brand of whiskey, or whatever else, and I may have a very real craving for the sensation of that alcohol hitting the back of my throat and into my belly leading to that alcoholic buzz. My mind will still try to convince me that it's okay to have that first drink...

• Praying! 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Are you in a Catholic environment?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  4.73
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, enoob57 said:

Are you in a Catholic environment?

enoob57, if this question is directed to me, the answer is no. I've been sober and cigarette free for 23 years. By the grace and mercy of God Almighty I quit both on the same day and haven't partook of either since then. I substitute a juice for wine when I partake of the communion of the Lord's supper at home. Temptation for drink arises at the least expected times though.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,081
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

I have heard so many people write off daily drinking as a casual thing they have under control. Since we lost a nephew in his 30's to liver damage the result of what he must have thought was casual drinking, but he was drinkingg the high octane stuff and it doesn't take much of that.

Having had both my father and grandfather drink I seen the effects of it. My dad would say he only had "a few beers" but he could barely walk when he got home. And as a result of the drinking it put him in a crowd of people who were not good to be around where he met some people opposite sex. I think the drink contributed to those lower inhibitions which took him on a course of marriages that ended with him back a square one realizing he was miserable. If he had not looked for a bar he would not have been introduced to these other things. My mother died not long after and he spent his remaining days in front of a TV. He claimed faith in Christ later on but never showed any signs of it.

In the case of my grandfather, he was more of a home person. I seen the alcohol slowly take him from a decent looking guy down to less than 100 pounbs living on a sofa with a cigarette between his fingers so often they were deep brown. Beer was his food. It didn't turn out so well. He had successfully retired but chose to spend his remaining days sitting on a sofa in front of a TV drinking and smoking. When he died he was nothing but skin and bones.

These were both gifted manly men who just didn't care to do anything at the end of their lives. Life without God had removed all motivation.

Lots more out there now than booze which is why I think many look as booze almost like it's iced tea. It's the acceptable slow death, or maybe fast death all depending.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 3/16/2024 at 1:53 PM, D. Adrien said:

I've been sober and cigarette free for 23 years. By the grace and mercy of God Almighty I quit both on the same day and haven't partaken of either since then. I substitute a juice for wine when I partake of the communion of the Lord's supper at home. Temptation for drink arises at the least expected times though.  

It's interesting that alcohol gives such a different reaction to different people.  I drank a lot in College, but never really got addicted to it.  Actually, alcohol puts me to sleep.  I can see why you should never drink though, for when I quit cigarettes 35 years ago I still get triggered now and again to really want to pick up one and smoke.  That's the chemical part of it, but the most lingering thing is that when I pick up the phone to talk to someone, I still reach into my shirt pocket for a smoke.  Just a very deep-seated mental thing.  Bless you for quitting and prayers for future strength

Edited by other one
Edited to add; My spell check tells me that it changed someting in your post. I'm not some spelling and grammar nazi showing off. Just so you know.
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

I used to be an alcoholic. I was drinking very often (up to 3-5 times a week). The last time i was drunk was about 4 or 5 years ago. Jesus delivered me.
I have no need for alcohol. No cravings. I only drink wine now in small amounts, when i take communion.
Praise Jesus

Amen.  Every testimony to the victory over that horrible addiction is an encouragement to others.   Be on your guard though, cause, satan is a cunning foe, always looking for ways to draw the old man back into his camp, therefore put on the full armor of God and keep it on. Ephesians 6.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,578
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 3/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, Jesus...my Lord and my God said:

Praise Jesus

I do think most of us grew up in an environment of tobacco and alcohol usage.  I had my own bedside ashtray at age eleven the age my father said I had to stop bumming his cigarettes and buy my own. Alcohol consumption is what got me through the boredom of seventh grade on through primary school years afterward.

I have not used tobacco and I do not consume alcohol  ever since the day the Holy Spirit turned me about to see Yeshua is my Lord, God, and my personal savior. I just no longer was a smoker of tobacco nor a drinker of alcohol. I do not think  of it as a rule of some kind that  I cannot do either, but I do see it as a real gift from the Holy Spirit.

Ha I just had the thought that if 72 is the full age of man and I am 80 perhaps the extra years are not reward at all  but a suffering away from the full time presence  before my Lord, a type of purgatory - to be absent from the body being to be present with the Lord.

Oh oh did I just  introduce purgatory into the topic?  Shame on me.

• Interesting! 1