Hearing God's "voice"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

A good question, @Starise. I hear the voice of the Lord at all times which is to say the Spirit is always with me, and I am always with Him. Was it always this way?

Not always. I heard the voice of the Lord when He called me, and when He spoke about what I should do. I heard His voice now and then until the time when I was cast out to wander aimlessly. I was intermittently homeless and penniless for the better part of twenty years. During that time, I did not hear the voice of the Lord.

I believed that the Lord hated me and had abandoned me. Ah, but that was my issue back then: I didn't pay attention, nor did I remember what the Spirit declared the last time I heard Him speak. The Lord promised that He would never abandon me. 

The hidden purpose of God is just that, brother. How would it profit if the Lord had revealed it was needful for me to suffer alone? That there were lessons to be learned that couldn't be imparted any other way? It would have been cruel to inform me of those things, for it is not our place to know all things in this world. 

Just because we hear the voice of the Lord doesn't mean that we know everything, that we're somehow perfect, or other such nonsense. No. God does whatever He pleases. When did things change?

When He spared me from death. The Lord promised that nothing would be the same, and He has been faithful to keep His word. We should never confuse scripture as a surrogate or substitute for the Spirit of the Lord, for the religious rulers who schemed against Christ were guilty of that. They possessed the scriptures and believed they had life, but refused to come to Him. The same scriptures testify of Him.

Everything I have been taught by the Spirit is duly reflected in scripture. The Lord teaches and corrects me; He doesn't speak about others unless He bids me to serve them in some way. Simple.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,085
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

Not often that He clearly speaks. I get thoughts and it's mostly Bible texts.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi Are you attributing a gender to God, or are you talking about your mother still?

It kind of makes one think. But considering the context when earlier he said; that when he was very young talking about his mother. Perhaps a comma before the she could have made it easier to understand that he is talking about his mother. 

Definitely It's about his mother. 

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,853
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

@Marathoner 

We helped Jesus, someone of us long time ago, to carry his Cross and He is helping us to carry our Cross. Without making things complicated, we are not alone, He will show up or He will sent some people to show up sooner or later and help us carry our Cross. Or our Cross could have been heavier but it is not because He is there helping us but we cannot see it as it is happening. Only later on after the fact when we look back and when our eyes open and when things are revealed to us. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, other one said:

I know the voice was from God, for it would have been the furthest thing on my mind when he spoke in a soft, loving voice and basically said that it was between him and her, and it really wasn't any of my business.

I thank you for bearing your memories of a rough time, OO.  I think we are so often blessed when we do not even know how, yet. The older I get, the more thankful, grateful I have become. Your sharing this helps my understanding.

2 hours ago, other one said:

At 77 and 74 it looks like it may be a coin flip to see if we die before the  Lord returns.

My wife and my own exact age, also. So much stuff just don't seem so important to us anymore. More time for sowing seed/works. We are very grateful for the health we still have, and for what is still working....default_cool2.gif.0271b8fa9a3693bc22cdb130b0baa4f8.gif 

Thanks again..

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

• I  started a thread on a topic , that is very similar to yours back in 2018.  Below is a reply that one person posted that I find was enlighting and forthright.  I don't know how to bring post from past threads into present ones, so I will get the title of the topic and post it here in edit form, so anyone can read through it.    
  • This was the topic :
  • I Often read of "God Told Me"

This is a very interesting topic of conversation. I have also seen those who say that 'God spoke to them...' and I am usually very cautious when listening to their message. I believe that God spoke to the prophets with a voice and called them to do His work. His voice was audible. Christ appeared to Paul in a vision and spoke to Him. God also spoke to Joseph in a dream, telling him about baby Jesus. So according to the Bible, God does talk to us in different ways.

I do not judge these ones who say that God spoke to them, because I do not know, however we can tell if what they are speaking is truth based on the Gospel. Personally, I know that Christ communicates with us in many ways.

I have been attacked by demonic forces that I did not understand and it made me very angry that I was attacked in that way and had no means by wish to defend myself. I did call on Jesus to save me and He did. I have been attacked several times in the spiritual battle we wage against the Gates of Hell, and have had victory with Christ on all attacks. I also had many lessons to learn before I got my prayers answered.

I discovered what the 'Sword of the Spirit' really means and how it actually works, because I had to use mine to destroy my enemy. I also learned what it means when the word says 'when I am weak, I am strong'. I had to learn several things, and it was done through spiritual experience, while I was sleeping. I have also had prayers answered in my daily life... all the time.

Having said that, I was so angry that I wanted to see the things that are hidden; I wanted to know what was going on and why me? I decided I was going to pray everyday asking Christ to show me the hidden things until He did... I was not going to stop. I was thinking of the constant knocking on the door, and He did open and showed me many things. I prayed for twenty-one days, and then He showed me things... incredible things.

There are a lot of wonderful things happening in the Body of Christ today, and I also believe that there are those who are dreaming dreams and some are indeed prophesying.

I will say, you should listen to the message to see if it is from God, and if you are a Christian with a discerning mind, you will see what is truly in their hearts and if their message is really from God or not. The Lord works in mysterious ways... who can know the workings of God.

I will also say this: when I received my answers from Christ Jesus, He also showed me many things, things that you would cause you to wonder. Wonderful, astonishing things. The words of Scripture comes to life in your dream-visions, and you are the one in the middle.

P.S. I have never heard an audible voice, but I do know He communicates with His Flock.

I will stop now. Peace and Love. M.

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

9 hours ago, warrior12 said:
  • I  started a thread on a topic , that is very similar to yours back in 2018.  Below is a reply that one person posted that I find was enlighting and forthright.  I don't know how to bring post from past threads into present ones, so I will get the title of the topic and post it here in edit form, so anyone can read through it.    
  • This was the topic :
  • I Often read of "God Told Me"

This is a very interesting topic of conversation. I have also seen those who say that 'God spoke to them...' and I am usually very cautious when listening to their message. I believe that God spoke to the prophets with a voice and called them to do His work. His voice was audible. Christ appeared to Paul in a vision and spoke to Him. God also spoke to Joseph in a dream, telling him about baby Jesus. So according to the Bible, God does talk to us in different ways.

I do not judge these ones who say that God spoke to them, because I do not know, however we can tell if what they are speaking is truth based on the Gospel. Personally, I know that Christ communicates with us in many ways.

I have been attacked by demonic forces that I did not understand and it made me very angry that I was attacked in that way and had no means by wish to defend myself. I did call on Jesus to save me and He did. I have been attacked several times in the spiritual battle we wage against the Gates of Hell, and have had victory with Christ on all attacks. I also had many lessons to learn before I got my prayers answered.

I discovered what the 'Sword of the Spirit' really means and how it actually works, because I had to use mine to destroy my enemy. I also learned what it means when the word says 'when I am weak, I am strong'. I had to learn several things, and it was done through spiritual experience, while I was sleeping. I have also had prayers answered in my daily life... all the time.

Having said that, I was so angry that I wanted to see the things that are hidden; I wanted to know what was going on and why me? I decided I was going to pray everyday asking Christ to show me the hidden things until He did... I was not going to stop. I was thinking of the constant knocking on the door, and He did open and showed me many things. I prayed for twenty-one days, and then He showed me things... incredible things.

There are a lot of wonderful things happening in the Body of Christ today, and I also believe that there are those who are dreaming dreams and some are indeed prophesying.

I will say, you should listen to the message to see if it is from God, and if you are a Christian with a discerning mind, you will see what is truly in their hearts and if their message is really from God or not. The Lord works in mysterious ways... who can know the workings of God.

I will also say this: when I received my answers from Christ Jesus, He also showed me many things, things that you would cause you to wonder. Wonderful, astonishing things. The words of Scripture comes to life in your dream-visions, and you are the one in the middle.

P.S. I have never heard an audible voice, but I do know He communicates with His Flock.

I will stop now. Peace and Love. M.

I read through this book by a few Canadian baptists- Henry and Richard Blackaby.

Not selling books here, but it's an ok book on the subject from a more or less orderly theological approach. In the first part of the book they list all of the ways God spoke in the bible. I don't have the book with me right now. I'll just say the list is long, and I don't think it's a totally exhaustive list. They  give examples for how God told them to do things that seemed crazy. At every turn God blessed those things.

There is another book which is really a large pamplet I read specifically directed to women, but it has application for anyone. Don't remember the author, but I can dig it up. God told this woman to talk to a man sitting next to her on a flight about the Lord. She ended up giving him him her favorite bible. The one she had underlined verses and put notes in. Later on at a convention she was speaking at, this man was there and told her that day changed his life. He is now a believer.

I read another book called- The Quest For the Radical Middle, which is a history of the Vinyard churches, with the central character John Wimber who was really the founder of Vinyard churches. He has an interesting background since he was about as pagan as any human being could be before coming to Christ along with his wife.

Planted churches all over the world or was responsible for it happening. If you read on you'll understand where I'm going with this. Many thousands were saved and baptized. The author of the book, Todd Hunter talks about a theological middle with his theory being that once churches grow they either fall on one side or the other of a line.

They either become cessationist or they go the other way too far putting too much emphasis on the spiritual gifts. Vinyard's aim was to be accepting of the gifts, but only on a solid biblcal basis, unlike the charismatics and some pentacostals. So thy seen themselves in the middle. They FULLY believe in healing, and FULLY believe God gives people words of prophecy among other things. IOW not cessationist because they felt it limited God and wasn't biblical, yet they don't allow public tongues unless biblically supported. They aren't against tonques. They don't believe healing is always God's answer , however they believe it is something that usually happens and not an occasional thing if a person prays and believes.

Prophecy I was told in my early Christian life was something only prophets did and they are all dead now because we are no longer in that "dispensation". Boy was I wrong. God still gifts people with dreams and visions, but it seems only a few churches acknowledge it in a public way even encouraging it. God speaks in this way.

There is a certain amount of risk involved in the open acceptance of these gifts, because the false ones can get in there. Wimber had some genuine prophetic people. He also went through some growing pains in that denomination, some of it because of their acceptance of prophetic gifts. Sometimes God will give someone with that gift a word for you personally, or for someone else. I'm sure there are other churches who are open to God speaking in this way, but the mainline baptists, methodists and presbyterians do now believe any of this still happens. They would be cessationist. Surprisingly many mennonites are accepting. 

If you are gifted in this way and in a cessationist church, please do not be discouraged and by all means use what God gives you.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,255
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

we dont hear Gods "voice" we hear the holy spirit that speaks for him