• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,941
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1. Historical Roots:

• The earliest recorded observance of Easter dates back to the 2nd century. However, the commemoration of Jesus’ Resurrection likely occurred even earlier.
    • The English word “Easter” parallels the German term “Ostern.” Its origin is uncertain, but there are two prevailing views:
      • Anglo-Saxon Goddess: The Venerable Bede (8th century) suggested that it derived from Eostre or Eostrae, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility. This view assumes that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays for their own festivals.
      • Christian Designation: A more widely accepted view is that the word comes from the Christian designation of Easter week as in albis, a Latin phrase understood as the plural of alba (meaning “dawn”). In Old High German, this became eostarum, which eventually led to the modern German and English term.
    • The Latin and Greek word “Pascha” (meaning “Passover”) also contributes to the French term “Pâques” for Easter.
  2. Matthew Henry's Notes: Act 12:4-5 KJV And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter  (Gr. pascha) to bring him forth to the people.  (5)  Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him.
     4. Here is an account of Peter's imprisonment (Act_12:4): When he had laid hands on him, and, it is likely, examined him, he put him in prison, into the inner prison; some say, into the same prison into which he and the other apostles were cast some years before, and were rescued out of it by an angel, Act_5:18. He was delivered to four quaternions of soldiers, that is, to sixteen, who were to be a guard upon him, four at a time, that he should not make his escape, nor be rescued by his friends. Thus they thought they had him fast. 5. Herod's design was, after Easter, to bring him forth unto the people. (1.) He would make a spectacle of him. Probably he had put James to death privately, which the people had complained of, not because it was an unjust thing to put a man to death without giving him a public hearing, but because it deprived them of the satisfaction of seeing him executed; and therefore Herod, now he knows their minds, will gratify them with the sight of Peter in bonds, of Peter upon the block, that they may feed their eyes with such a pleasing spectacle. And very ambitious surely he was to please the people who was willing thus to please them! (2.) He would do this after Easter, meta to pascha - after the passover, certainly so it ought to be read, for it is the same word that is always so rendered; and to insinuate the introducing of a gospel-feast, instead of the passover, when we have nothing in the New Testament of such a thing, is to mingle Judaism with our Christianity. Herod would not condemn him till the passover was over, some think, for fear lest he should have such an interest among the people that they should demand the release of him, according to the custom of the feast: or, after the hurry of the feast was over, and the town was empty, he would entertain them with Peter's public trial and execution. Thus was the plot laid, and both Herod and the people long to have the feast over, that they may gratify themselves with this barbarous entertainment.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Servant

The Custom Of Prisoner Release During Passover Celebrations

The tradition of releasing a prisoner during Passover has historical significance and is mentioned in various sources.

In ancient Roman Jerusalem, on the eve of every Passover, Jewish leaders would appear before the Roman governor and request the release of a specific prisoner. The governor was then obliged to set that person free. This unique custom, due to its connection with the gospel story, has been studied by scholars. Let’s explore some key points:

1. Sources for the Custom:

• Scholars agree that outside of the specific sources mentioning this custom, there is no other authority for it. Secular and religious literature from that period remain silent on the matter.
    • The custom is primarily known from the New Testament accounts (Matthew 27:15-23, Mark 15:6-14, Luke 23:18-23, John 18:39-40) where Barabbas, a prisoner, was released instead of Jesus.
  2. Character and Origin:

• Scholars have debated the origin and character of this custom.
    • Some attribute it to the Roman procurators of Judaea, who may have instituted it to appease the Jews and demonstrate understanding of their Passover.
    • Another perspective looks to Greek and Roman practices. Festivals like the Panathenaic and Thesmophoria allowed amnesty for criminals, and this tradition might have influenced the custom.
    • Herod the Great is also credited with introducing this practice into Israel, with subsequent Roman governors following suit.
  3. Jewish Origin:

• Some scholars argue for the Jewish origin of the custom, suggesting that it was well-established in Israel even before Roman times.
    • However, close examination reveals that these hypotheses are not entirely tenable.
  4. Purpose and Application:

• The custom likely applied only to political prisoners.
    • Its purpose remains a subject of debate, but it may have arisen during the turbulent years of civil war in the Hasmonean period.

In summary, the tradition of releasing a prisoner during Passover had both historical and symbolic significance, reflecting the complex dynamics of the time123

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  4.74
  • Days Won:  1

Preach truth brother! Passover is our memorial of what Jesus did and gave for each of us. The beating and the scourging prior to the crucifixion!

Psalm 22:14-15(ESV)

I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
it is melted within my breast;
my strength is dried up like a potsherd,
and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
you lay me in the dust of death.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,255
  • Content Per Day:  1.54
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

im kinda hoping this will turn into an easter is evil thread :tasty:

• Haha 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

53 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

It's kind of divisive and never leads to positive things.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,178
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I like singing the little bunny fu fu song :spot_on:

• Group:  Servant

6 hours ago, Ghostdog said:

5 hours ago, other one said:

It's kind of divisive and never leads to positive things.

Let's hope the starter posts are taken as Informative and Pre-emptive of that. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,125
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

16 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

Let's hope the starter posts are taken as Informative and Pre-emptive of that. 

I appreciate the historical background. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

And as I've said often this time of year:  Let's rename it Resurrection Day!

:halo:

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

And as I've said often this time of year:  Let's rename it Resurrection Day!

:halo:

I'd go along with that, and drop the bunnies and eggs.

• Thumbs Up 3