• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

Was re-reading Matthew on my phone not sure how to post and quote it properly. Always was a bit confused about this verse. It is the "some of you will not taste death until my kingdom comes" line, paraphrasing of course. How can we explain this? I have read arguments He means the transfiguration. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Maybe the kingdom He refers to the Church? It really bothers me that such a seemingly obvious contradiction exists. Please explain. There's other claims Jesus made with similar wording iirc, all of which seemed to indicate His return would be within the lifetime of His apostles.

Edited by Mozart's Starling

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I personally think he is referring to Pentecost, where the Holy Spirit was given to each of us who follow him.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

The Kingdom is, basically, where Jesus reigns. So there's more than one sense in which the Kingdom can 'come'. Obviously it will come in its fullness when Jesus returns, but it's present on earth now, wherever His people are.

So personally, I agree with Other One. I think Jesus was referring to Pentecost. Then the disciples witnessed the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, the preaching of the gospel to people from all nations, and the beginning of the Church - all proof that Jesus was enthroned at God’s right hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/27/1990

Posted (edited)

Thank both of you for your input. I feel better now lol.

Edited by Mozart's Starling

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 3/27/2024 at 5:08 PM, Mozart's Starling said:

Was re-reading Matthew on my phone not sure how to post and quote it properly. Always was a bit confused about this verse. It is the "some of you will not taste death until my kingdom comes" line, paraphrasing of course. How can we explain this? I have read arguments He means the transfiguration. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Maybe the kingdom He refers to the Church? It really bothers me that such a seemingly obvious contradiction exists. Please explain. There's other claims Jesus made with similar wording iirc, all of which seemed to indicate His return would be within the lifetime of His apostles.

Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. (Matthew 16:28)

They are recorded in the synoptic Gospels. I believe the explanation and meaning are given in the following six verses (Matt. 17:1-6). Read Matthew 16:28 through 17:6 as one connected paragraph to get the context.

At Jesus’ transfiguration, Jesus was temporarily in His kingdom to come (a taste), glorified, and talking with Moses and Elijah about His impending death, resurrection, and what it meant. Jesus was speaking exclusively to His disciples. Some standing here of the twelve could only be Jesus’ inner ring of disciples (Peter, James, and John).

For some unknown reason, only Peter, James, and John were allowed to witness Jesus raising the dead and the transfiguration. We refer to Peter, James, and John as Jesus' inner ring of disciples.

Those are my thoughts anywho.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 3/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, Mozart's Starling said:

Matthew 16:28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

John 21:22 Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.

So what is it to you if the Lord wants to extend the lives of some of His followers beyond that of a normal lifespan? (If that indeed is what He meant.) The Lord is sovereign over all His subjects, so why bother to question His will (or His Word)? We don't have to figure everything out, after all (and we never will); just follow Him.

• Thumbs Up 1