IGNORED

Verses that can be interpreted differently?

Tribulation

Guest shiloh357
If I had the ability to learn the ancient languages I would in a second. However, foreign languages are not my strong suit. I did good to pass high school Spanish by the seat of my britches so I don't see myself even attempting to learn Hebrew.

You dont' really need to learn Hebrew or Greek. :) God has preserved His Word in every language. He is prefectly capable at communicating, and getting His point across in any language man has invented. :whistling:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Please don't get me wrong. I fully and emphatically believe that the entire Bible is inspired by God. However during the physical translation process of the original LANGUAGE through the ages there has been material which can be not only confusing but appear contradicting. I will never profess to be a master of the Holy Bible and in fact question the motives behind those who imply that they are. No one other than our Christ knows what has been altered during these translations or applications and only until we are face to face with Him will the mysteries of the Holy Bible be revealed.

Quite simply I see the Bible, in it's many different versions and translations, as a study guide and inspiration for my personal walk with Christ. Given the fallibility and divisive nature of the mere human being I take all concerns regarding translation in humble and genuine prayer directly to Christ. Not to say that advice and direction from fellow Christians and church leaders in the past, present, and future aren't helpful and of inspiration in their own right because they are. I've learned much along my walk right here at Worthy in fact. But I ultimatelty take what I learn, observe, and read directly to Christ for clarification.

Among every Biblical translation; Christian denomination; individual church within that denomination; and individual Christian you will find that there are varying degrees of opinions and interpretations surrounding a core Biblical reference. This is man's interpretation born of human nature. From this sometimes comes the ultimate pride, arrogance, and the sorrowful division that pits one version of the Holy Bible; the many Denominations, Individual Churches, or Individual Christian against another. Human beings and groups of like minded human beings are not always right. And no human being or gathering of human beings have all the answers. Only Christ is capable of the divine truth and to Him I will ultimately turn. Not man or man created organizations.

I would agree and disagree. Christ did not leave us some sort mystery document we don't get to understand until we are united with Him. Christ left us the various translations of the Holy Bible, including the English translations He meant us to have those. Nothing substantive has been lost. Sure there are some things we do disagree about and that yes we must wait for Christ to sort out in the end. However, we have exactly what Jesus wanted us to know in the Holy Bible, and in its English translations. You are right about some of the details, but these shouldn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

I believe that Jesus is our Shepherd and his sheep hear his voice-he will speak through his word to him. All others will hear and read what they want when they want!!! God will seperate his sheep from the wrong shepherds-the others will listen to those shepherds who will continue to preach what they want to hear-peace, peace-when suddenly. . . .

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Divine inspiration of God carries through the translations! What kind of God would want the future Church to be informed by a watered-down Word? God is very capable of preserving His Word for this generation. People who believe that the scriptures we study today are not inspired are speaking heresy.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I believe correct interpretation is absolute and whether or not there is more than one correct meaning to a verse or passage is not the issue.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Butero: Well said. This is something to take to thoughtful and humble prayer IMHO.

Tribulation: If I've had any part in derailing your thread then I apologize. I really don't see this discussion so much as a debate but more of a topic that lends to us opening a window into our own ways of Biblical study. My personal way of studying the Bible and using the Bible may seem very wrong to some here. But until God shows me otherwise, and I have asked for His guidance, I will have to follow my heart and pray I am doing the right thing the best way I know how.

I'd like to thank you for starting this thread regardless of the intent. It is one of the most civil and thought provoking ones I've seen in a long time.

River, don't worry - I wasn't getting at you or anyone else about 'derailing my thread' - I was just laughing at how the two main topics I have posted in so far - have ended up in bible debates!

And thanks for the compliment! God bless you!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:noidea: Welcome to the ways of the message board!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Anyway, back to the topic in hand.

The feeling I get from the thread so far (and please note, I am just going on the basis of the various feedback I'm getting.) is that the original meaning of the verse is the correct way of interpreting the verse.

Interesting to note however, that the verse regarding the publican seems to be drawing an element of uncertainty or whereas the verse regarding the boy's relationship seems to be a definate 'no'.

Guest shiloh357
Anyway, back to the topic in hand.

The feeling I get from the thread so far (and please note, I am just going on the basis of the various feedback I'm getting.) is that the original meaning of the verse is the correct way of interpreting the verse.

Interesting to note however, that the verse regarding the publican seems to be drawing an element of uncertainty or whereas the verse regarding the boy's relationship seems to be a definate 'no'.

What you have with the publican issue is an application. God ministered that verse in a way that met the man's need. God used a word in English that the man recognized to convict him of his sin. God can work that way, and it is pefectly fine. This in no way takes away from the original use of the word "publican" in the Scriptures.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I agree with Shiloh!

I see evidence of this in the book of Job. In there, the Lord uses an ostrich to illustrate a point.

Job 39:13-18

13 "The wings of the ostrich wave proudly, But are her wings and pinions like the kindly stork's? 14 For she leaves her eggs on the ground, And warms them in the dust; 15 She forgets that a foot may crush them, Or that a wild beast may break them. 16 She treats her young harshly, as though they were not hers; Her labor is in vain, without concern, 17 Because God deprived her of wisdom, And did not endow her with understanding. 18 When she lifts herself on high, She scorns the horse and its rider.

Now, to a people who have better things to do with their time than spend a year watching the habits of ostrich, this seems a fair an accurate understanding of the ostrich lifestyle. The Lord speaks to Job with an illustration that JOb understands of the ostrich's behavior.

Now, scientists who get paid to do nothing but watch the ostriches for a year :blink: have learned that the description of how the ostrich treats her eggs and young is not quite accurate. I don't have time to go intot he details - just know that I took an ornithology class where we saw a documentary on the ostrich, and I also took a class on Biblical poetry and Literature (studied the books of Job - Song of Solomon) and for my term paper in the class tackled this question of Biblical innerency with regards to this passage).

What I concluded was that the Lord spoke to Job in Job's language and understanding to make a point. If the Lord spoke what was scientifically accurate about the ostrich, Job would not have understood the description and then lost the point the Lord was trying to make.

So, will and can the Lord use even a mistranslation of Scripture to speak to a person's heart? ABSOLUTELY!

Remember, "the word of the Lord does not return to Him void." He is greater than our errors and imperfections and knows how to work around them and take advantage of them. :blink: