• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Or is it really a matter of different versions contridicting themselves in error?

Alright, the rumor is that the bible contridicts itself during creation because in the second chapter God created man BEFORE he created plants. Let's look at this a minute.

Third Day:

Genesis1: 11-12NIV

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so.

12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

day

Genesis 1:11-12KJV

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.

Sixth Day:

Genesis 1:27 NIV

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 1:27 KJV

God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Alright, based on these three verses, one agrees that plants were created on the third day, and that man was created on the sixth day. However, this is assumed to have changed in Genesis chapter 2.

Genesis 2:5 NIV

This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created.

5 And no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [c] and there was no man to work the ground

6 But streams [d] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground

7 The LORD God formed the man The Hebrew for man (adam) sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for ground (adamah) it is also the name Adam (see Gen. 2:20). from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Genesis 2: 5

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and [there was] not a man to till the ground.

6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul

The idea is simply that the bible contradicts itself (according to the NIV) because in chapter 1, God formed plants and then animals, but according to the second chapter, there was

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,221
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I think I'll just stick with the KJV myself.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Ah how intriguing! I was thinking about this very same question the other day and I set about getting an answer because it had bothered me before.

And, quite handily, there is a guy I know at college who is doing his PhD at the moment on this very issue! So I quizzed him and in a short answer, he told me that Gen 2 could well be talking more from the perspective of the man (once he is made, of course) and mainly talking about the garden itself, rather than the whole of creation.

Also, if you look:

5 And no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no man to work the ground

6 But streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground

7 The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

It doesn't say that the shrubs etc, had not been created, just that they hadn't grown out of the ground yet.

Hope this helps!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Gen chapter 1 tells when and what order things were created.

Gen chapter 2 goes into detail HOW they were created.

No contradiction there.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Gen chapter 1 tells when and what order things were created.

Gen chapter 2 goes into detail HOW they were created.

No contradiction there.

Amen

Study to shew yourself approved

:whistling:

OC

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,930
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  231
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I have planted daffodils in my garden and planters...they havent produced flowers yet..in fact I cant see them yet as they are still growing below the level of the ground but that doesnt mean that they are not there...God created the plants and bushes etc He watered them to start them growing then He created man to tend them as they grew.

If you plant an acorn it takes a lot longer to grow and need tending than if you plant cress seed. God knew what He was doing :whistling:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Above all things spoken in this thread, I must say that the Bible never contradicts itself. Never. It is solid and relaible in every way, and has NEVER proven to be wrong. Never will. God provides for that surety. Trust Him.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  99
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/05/1947

Or is it really a matter of different versions contridicting themselves in error?

Alright, the rumor is that the bible contridicts itself during creation because in the second chapter God created man BEFORE he created plants. Let's look at this a minute.

Third Day:

Genesis1: 11-12NIV

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so.

12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

day

Genesis 1:11-12KJV

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.

Sixth Day:

Genesis 1:27 NIV

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 1:27 KJV

God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Alright, based on these three verses, one agrees that plants were created on the third day, and that man was created on the sixth day. However, this is assumed to have changed in Genesis chapter 2.

5 And no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth and no plant of the field had yet sprung up, for the LORD God had not sent rain on the earth [c] and there was no man to work the ground

6 But streams [d] came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground

7 The LORD God formed the man The Hebrew for man (adam) sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for ground (adamah) it is also the name Adam (see Gen. 2:20). from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Genesis 2: 5

5 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and [there was] not a man to till the ground.

6 But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

7 And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul

The idea is simply that the bible contradicts itself (according to the NIV) because in chapter 1, God formed plants and then animals, but according to the second chapter, there was

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  05/03/1961

I used to read the NIV, but now I think of it as the New International PERversion.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

God created Adam in Gen.1:26-27, but He FORMED Adam in 2;7; his process applies to all plants and beasts too, created, then, over an unknown period of time, formed

Cute one that. I thought the bible was rather clear on the period of time...