tigger398

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Now I don't know if the catholic tought my hubby that you had to be dressed up for church or you can't go. :th_praying: Cause I told hubby untill we can get him some more pants and shoes he might have to wear his good jeans and sneakers with a nice shirt he was like what !!! :b:

Yay for your husband; I came out of Catholicism too. I now own no suits or dress pants, and feel right at home where I attend church; once in a while some even pretend not to ignore me.

God bless you and your husband in your walk with the Lord - larry2 :emot-pray:

Guest blessedinpdx

Isnt a church really just a group of friends communing together and worshipping God? Go as you would to meet friends outside of church. If they are formal dinner people, dress up. If they are go-for-coffee people, go casual. Basically, dress accordingly with how the congregation is. I mean, can you praise God in your garden? yes!!!

Really, Adam walked with God in his birthday-suit, not his Sunday-suit.

That said, dont go to church naked. PLEASE

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

So is it okay to visit a funeral home on behalf of a DEAD person and meet his family and business associates, etc, in crumpled jeans or cut-offs (weather permitting), unkempt hair and muddy work-boots? Or should a guy put on a business suit, and a woman a dress & heels? or Only asking, because a DEAD man's in the funeral home - and the LIVING, vibrant Son of God, KING Jesus, meets us & ministers to us in His Church, "There am I in the midst"!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Noone is advocating being dirty an unkept.

Of course we are to wash our faces and brush our hair.

Scrape the mud off at the door.

I dont think the dead really care what we show up in.

I've been to a funeral in jeans before.

Noone said anything but thank you so much for caring enough to show up.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  07/20/1978

So is it okay to visit a funeral home on behalf of a DEAD person and meet his family and business associates, etc, in crumpled jeans or cut-offs (weather permitting), unkempt hair and muddy work-boots? Or should a guy put on a business suit, and a woman a dress & heels? or Only asking, because a DEAD man's in the funeral home - and the LIVING, vibrant Son of God, KING Jesus, meets us & ministers to us in His Church, "There am I in the midst"!

Okay...as i see the point you are trying to make...and i agree in the fact that if you are able to dress up to go pay respects to someone that has passed...then you should give the Lord the same level of respect ...if not more...but i must ask ...are you totally ignoring the op...her husband DOES want to dress in his finest...they just don't fit...he is stuck in the mind pattern that he can not go to church because of this issue...he is saying that he CAN'T go to church because he doesn't have some "sunday best" and they can't afford them at this point in time...you know...the Lord is not going to truly care if it is not a thousand dollar suit that he is wearing or some dress slacks, shirt, and tie....i am sure the Lord will be pleased and feel respected with the best in his closet which may be a pair of jeans..and they might even have a small hole or two in them....lets think about this... what did the Lord have to say to the Pharissee...those that dress to the tilt...had on their Holy garb...but nothing more than that...especially on the inside...lets then think about how He sat with sinners...He ministered to sinners...do you suppose they had on their "sunday best"....I don't see the Lord having a dress code check at His entrance...just a heart check.

And for those that dress their best for church...do we not realize that Christ is within us...WE are the church...it is not a building..."where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." sooo...for those that say you have to wear "Sunday Best" to church...to honor Him...are you saying that God only shows up in a building on Sunday mornings??? If not...then why are you not dressed up in your "Sunday Best" at every moment of the day. A church building does not make up the church...just as a suit or dress doesn't make you a Christian. My husband cracks me up when he uses the phrase..." going to "church" makes you a Christian just as much as going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger."

We need to get serious...quit putting so much focus on the outside and care a little more about what's on the inside...the place where Christ truly dwells.

P.S. Christ does not MEET us there...we take Him with us!!! and you are totally right about how he ministers to us in HIS Church...of course that is with the understanding that we are the church...the temple.

My humble opinion... please take no offense. God Bless, Jenny. :)

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Days Won:  1

Well, of course, I agree about the guy not being afraid to go to church regardless. He is most welcome. It was rather an acute observation I made re a general understanding among many Christians that the usually accepted procedure is - with exceptions to every rule - (A) dress in your very best to visit a DEAD man in a funeral home, but (B) overlook the fact that we come to God's House to meet & worship the LIVING Christ, the KING of Glory. Yes, I totally agree that Christ lives in us, "the Hope of Glory," but the CHURCH of Jesus Christ and our corporate worship of Him on the Lord's Day is no small thing. We're told to "not forget coming together in His Church." The Living Savior DIED for His Church and He calls us to meet Him there in holy worship and praise. We come to meet THE KING, the One Who is much higher & much more important than, say, Queen Elizabeth of England or the President of the U.S.A.! With any number of exceptions to the rule granted, shouldn't a child of the KING of all kings tend to look the part a bit especially in view of the fact that we do even relegate decorum & dress to high standards when dropping in to visit a DEAD person in a funeral home? One has to be much more important than the other yes? Only asking.

Guest Biblicist

How did this go from tigger's husband feeling comfortable in a suit & tie in church to what we should wear to church?

I say we take up a collection so tigger can get her husband some nice suits so he can go to church and not feel awkward or out of place. It's about what makes him feel comfortable, not what is acceptable.

So glad he does not feel most comfortable in a toga. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308

How did this go from tigger's husband feeling comfortable in a suit & tie in church to what we should wear to church?

I say we take up a collection so tigger can get her husband some nice suits so he can go to church and not feel awkward or out of place. It's about what makes him feel comfortable, not what is acceptable.

So glad he does not feel most comfortable in a toga. :blink:

Amen Biblcist, something to keep in mind, such as in the case of Tigger's husband, (and my husband as well due to being in a wheelchair and the fit of dress slacks), is that for some people jeans are their best they have to wear. I agree making an effort is a respectful thing to do, and it sounds like Tigger's husband IS making an effort, even if it is blue jeans. From what I have heard, he certainly has no intention of showing up looking like he just rolled out of bed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

Be neat, be clean. Be on time.

Right and just plain be there. :blink: