• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Friends :)

I have received an interesting question, i would like to put it to you and get your thoughts.

Question:

When does one receive forgiveness when one repents or when one is sorry for what one has done?

I think the point of the question was to ask if you can be forgiven by acknowledging that you have done something wrong to God and asking for forgiveness while not understanding why it is wrong?

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  881
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Forgiveness was given 2000 years ago. It is received by the person and becomes their own the moment they ask. Their personal knowledge and experience of knowing they are forgiven may be moments after or weeks or never depending on their faith and acceptance of God

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When does one receive forgiveness when one repents or when one is sorry for what one has done?

Depends on what you mean by sorry.

I recall a line from Gone with the Wind:

"You remind me of the thief who is sorry he got caught!"

I think the point of the question was to ask if you can be forgiven by acknowledging that you have done something wrong to God and asking for forgiveness while not understanding why it is wrong?

Again - kind of vague. I have appolgized to friends for having hurt them even though I didn't understand why they were hurt by what I did - just that I knew they were hurt, and I deeply regretted having hurt them.

On the flip side, I had a friend tell me, "I'm sorry if I did anything to hurt you," but until I knew that he knew what he did that had left me crying my eyes out - how can I ever trust him?

Does that make sense?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Hello Friends  :)

I have received an interesting question, i would like to put it to you and get your thoughts.

Question:

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

It would depend on whether or not that person was already a christian or not. A non christian could be sorry for his/her whole life and if they didn't confess the lordship of christ they will not be forgiven.

If a person is a christian, I was taught that the Holy Spirit would convict you of the offence and you would be forgiven when you ask. I would think that there would not be more than 3 seconds between understanding you did something wrong and offended God, and asking for forgiveness. In that case what would the difference be.

I would need an example of what a person could do to offend God, know that he/she had done it and it was an offence and not know why it is wrong.

I don't think I understand the question fully.

Ok i will try to give an example.

Let

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Now the same New Christian engaged in sex with another mans wife he has found out through the Word that it is sin to do this. Now He does not understand why adultery is wrong he feels no remorse for doing it. But he believes in God and therefore whatever offends God is bad so he repents of what he has done.

If you have a child who did something that was wrong (can't think of a creative example - I don't know, playing in the street or climbing on the counter or I don't know, think of something), and you told the child not to do it anymore ("Why?" "Because I said so." - LOL!), and the child no longer did what you told them not to do (obeyed and quit the activity), would you hold it against the child that the child did not understand?

(Not sure if I am asking this right, but I hope you understand.)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

I believe that when you go to God and ask for forgiveness that you are in fact telling God you repent of your past misdeed. Thats when I believe God grants us the forgiveness of our sins. Kind of like parents. When your child comes to you and tells you he is truly sorry for what he or she did you do forgive that child for his transgression right? :hug:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  353
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

We sin without even knowing we sin...can you remember very sin you commited?...just by being in the Adamic body we are sinning...Now I have repented and asked God to forgive me not knowing what I even did wrong..just askig God to forgive me of any unknown sin...hope I made sense...then again I may have missed the point all together myself....eh...

If you ask God to frogive you in all sincerity...your forgiven...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/01/1957

Hello Friends  :t2:

Is there a difference? Doesn't repentance mean being sorry....However does repentance mean you will not do the same again...and if you do and seek further forgivness from God thru Jesus...are you still forgiven ...and if you thru some human failing continue to sin over and over on this one issue...how many times will God forgive you??

Would it be a true statement to say that God will forgive you upon repentance but you will have to suffer the consequences of your sin.

However from an athiests point of view...if they are seeking answers to this question... God may well be leading them to Him. To be forgiven for past misdeeds by your Maker is a powerful message... especially when linked to repentance.

Blessing

Now the same New Christian engaged in sex with another mans wife he has found out through the Word that it is sin to do this. Now He does not understand why adultery is wrong he feels no remorse for doing it. But he believes in God and therefore whatever offends God is bad so he repents of what he has done.

If you have a child who did something that was wrong (can't think of a creative example - I don't know, playing in the street or climbing on the counter or I don't know, think of something), and you told the child not to do it anymore ("Why?" "Because I said so." - LOL!), and the child no longer did what you told them not to do (obeyed and quit the activity), would you hold it against the child that the child did not understand?

(Not sure if I am asking this right, but I hope you understand.)

:laugh: Neb i think you have got it girl. :hug:

Thats a wonderful way of explaining things. I think I will use it on the athiest :cool:

Thank you very much Sister

All Praise The Ancient of Days