Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I just do not see how one can effectively witness to someone without knowing their needs and their specific personalities.

Many of you have said you use different tactics with everyone, how do you know what "tactics" to use if you do not know the person.

When it comes to certain belief systems, you must become friends to gain trust before you earn the right to talk Christ about them. If you go into a person's house, when they do not know you, and begin to preach the Bible at them it is going to turn them off.

I've even had Christians tell me not to "preach Bible verses at them". So how can I preach Bible verses at non-Christians when even Brother's and Sister's in Christ don't respect it. I need to earn trust and gain respect as a person of God with people before I gain the right to give God's Word to someone.

I'd like to know how you reconcile Luke 10

1 The Lord now chose seventy-two other disciples and sent them ahead in pairs to all the towns and places he planned to visit.

2 These were his instructions to them: "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.

3 Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves.

4 Don't take any money with you, nor a traveler's bag, nor an extra pair of sandals. And don't stop to greet anyone on the road.

5 "Whenever you enter someone's home, first say, 'May God's peace be on this house.'

6 If those who live there are peaceful, the blessing will stand; if they are not, the blessing will return to you.

7 Don't move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide. Don't hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.

8 "If you enter a town and it welcomes you, eat whatever is set before you.

9 Heal the sick, and tell them, 'The Kingdom of God is near you now.'

10 But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say,

11 'We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  140
  • Content Count:  1,846
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  01/05/1987

If you dont mind me asking, is the law all that you present to your friends who dont believe?

No. But I believe that is the most important. A sinner must be shown that they indeed are one. That their sins are an offense to God, deserving of His holy wrath. Most people that I've witnessed to believe that they are actually "good" people and that their good deeds will outweigh their bad, earning them heaven.

The Law shows them that they are filthy, guilty, and on their way to a much deserved hell. You have to show them the danger of their position, and just how they look in God's sight. Only when they see their own wretchedness, and the danger of oncoming damnation, will they cry out to God for his forgivness and mercy.

There are way too many people who believe that one quick "sinners prayer" without true conviction or true repentance will be their "get out of hell free card."

And that God is begging them to come to Him. As if God needs them instead of the other way around.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I sadi that I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I had to rectify this statement i made,

Eric asserts that this is a case of Jesus example of "do as I say, not as I do". What's your take

That didn't come out they way I meant, It was late and I was tired.

What I was relly referring to is from Matt 28 :19 -20. when he told his disciples to go to all nations (gentiles) baptising and teach them to observe all things whatever I commanded you. (abridged) He never charged his disciples to make friends with them.

and again,

I just do not see how one can effectively witness to someone without knowing their needs and their specific personalities

The only need you should concern your self with is their spiritual needs, and that is the need of a Saviour. period. Whether you are witnessing in a bar a brothel or on the street. making friends with them,which is what this thread is about, is not mentioned in the bible. If they don't want to know.....back off....or as Jesus said brush their dust off your shoes. Scripture has been supplied aplenty about making friends with worldly people. You just shrug them off and say they are taken out of context

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I just do not see how one can effectively witness to someone without knowing their needs and their specific personalities.

Many of you have said you use different tactics with everyone, how do you know what "tactics" to use if you do not know the person.

When it comes to certain belief systems, you must become friends to gain trust before you earn the right to talk Christ about them. If you go into a person's house, when they do not know you, and begin to preach the Bible at them it is going to turn them off.

I've even had Christians tell me not to "preach Bible verses at them". So how can I preach Bible verses at non-Christians when even Brother's and Sister's in Christ don't respect it. I need to earn trust and gain respect as a person of God with people before I gain the right to give God's Word to someone.

I'd like to know how you reconcile Luke 10

1 The Lord now chose seventy-two other disciples and sent them ahead in pairs to all the towns and places he planned to visit.

2 These were his instructions to them: "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.

3 Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves.

4 Don't take any money with you, nor a traveler's bag, nor an extra pair of sandals. And don't stop to greet anyone on the road.

5 "Whenever you enter someone's home, first say, 'May God's peace be on this house.'

6 If those who live there are peaceful, the blessing will stand; if they are not, the blessing will return to you.

7 Don't move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what they provide. Don't hesitate to accept hospitality, because those who work deserve their pay.

8 "If you enter a town and it welcomes you, eat whatever is set before you.

9 Heal the sick, and tell them, 'The Kingdom of God is near you now.'

10 But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say,

11 'We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom,

I've been torn about this subject, as I see both sides.

But, the more I ponder and pray, the more I agree with Axxman that we are not to fellowship light with darkness as "friends."

And honestly, we have good intentions of going out and hanging out with people and our Jesus will rub off on them, or overshadow their ways. Not they they aren't great people! But, they do not have the Spirit of G-d inside them and as such they do not understand the things of G-d. There may come times that the friends want to do something, drink something, watch something, hook up with something, party with something and the Christian will either go along or make a stand against the friend. Even if the friend is the nicest, sweetest, most loving person in the world, without JESUS they are sinners, unregenerated and their choices are not Christian.

As for witnessing, I believe we can LOVE, and reach out and show kindness and interest and truly show Jesus without being buddies with them. I mean, we can love them, care for them, show love for them, but ultimately we desire to show JESUS to them.

I have no non-Christian friends. That wasn't a choice, it just happens as I don't work outside the home any longer and my church is my social life as well.

But, I know lots of non-Christians and interact with them as often as possible and try to show them Jesus' love and care and sincerely treat them with love, but I don't "hang out" with them for the sake of hanging out, if I spend time with them, it is to show them the love of Jesus and His salvation.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom Emily Anne,

I pray for the Spirit of G-d to call out to your family's hearts and may they be open and may they reply to His invitation by accepting the gift of salvation of Jesus, by faith.

If I was to suddenly switch my opinion and beleive we aren't supposed to be friends with sinners, what would I do with all of the relationships I have made with nonbeleivers?

Not answer the phone when I see their number on my display and then not return calls?

Or would it be okay to talk to them on the phone? Surely they can't cause me to sin over the phone can they? So if I can talk to them only on the phone, do I tell them that I shouldn't hang out with them because being around them causes greater temptation to sin?

So if I can talk to them on the phone, I'm just not supposed to go and have lunch or coffee with them? I might be tempted to sin when having coffee or lunch with them?

What would all of you who beleive my friendships with sinners is wrong suggest I do? I really want to know. Do I be honest and tell them my friendship with them had been a mistake and that it can't continue?

I find it strange that over and over again, I keep asserting that I don't NEED their friendships and it's not for my own gratification, but for THEM that I remain friends with them. This point seems to be lost over and over again. My motives are the very opposite of selfish. It's not about ME, it's about THEM.

As well, I do know that I'll be tempted no matter where or what I'm doing.

I've asked a number of times what kind of sin do you feel you fall in to when in the company of sinners and no one has answered yet. I am curious though if anyone doesn't mind answering.

I can understand advising a brand new Christian to keep their old friends at bay for a long time, but for a mature Christian to befriend a sinner? I am of the belief that I am far far stronger than they are. Greater is HE that is in me than he that is in the world.

Eric.

I hope you're awake now so that you don't get muddled. :24:

I referred to the verse where Jesus was eating and drinking with sinners and the pharisees condemned him for it. You've made assertions that he was there only preaching to them, but I don't see that mentioned so I don't think you should assume. As well, if he was there just to eat, drink and PREACH, then the pharisees would not have condemned him. And again, we need to take it at face value and not read into it. All it says is that he was eating and drinking with sinners.

So, you said basically that is is a particular case where we aren't supposed to follow Christ's example, therefore it's a case of "do what I say, not what I do".

Am I getting your interpretation correctly? If not, I apologize and please explain.

God's love for mankind is LOVE, in every sense of the word...

Right on.

It's not this.

"I love you but I'm not going to get too close to you. You likely won't get too close to me anyway since we work in an office with many other nosy people and inside of working hours, you're not likely to get very personal or deep with me. As well, since I exude aloofness, you will likely find me unapproachable. Don't even bother to ask me to your home for coffee because I might be tempted to sin there. Or don't ask me to go for dinner after work because I might be tempted to sin there. Don't ask me to share in any of your celebrations with you because I might be tempted to sin. I will give you the illusions that I have a perfect, happy, fulfilled life and don't sin. Too much of your influence and I may be corrupted. Temptation to sin is stronger when I'm in your company. I have to guard myself because you might pull me down. Bottom line is that your influence on me is far greater than mine could ever be on you.

You see, this is how our relationship goes. My job is to inform you that you're on your way to hell and you're a sinner. That's where it starts and where it ends. Small talk is fine but the rules I've set out here will ensure that we don't get close. That I'll never be the one to offer you a shoulder to cry on, I'll never be the one you come to asking me advise or a listening ear about problems with your husband or mother in law or kids. I've carefully set the boundaries to ensure that you will not come to me as a true and trusted friend because I'm not. Having friends like you could really damage me. So I'm here to send a message to you. Nothing more.

And if you don't accept my message that I give to you during office hours, then I will have to reject you. Yes, it seems like it's a shallow one-sided relationship but that's what the Bible tells me to do. But I really do love you. Do you think you can believe that?"

No comments on this? Is this basically the rundown of what you believe God really wants?