IGNORED

Mental Illness, why is it treated as a sin?

Vickilynn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,213
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

My oldest is bi-polar and Christians and his own family, have treated him worse than those who are supposedly in the world. Whats that saying "Christians are the only group that eats their own wounded" its very sad, I'm surprised he is still a believer.

"Christians are the only group that eats their own wounded" its very sad, I'm surprised he is still a believer.

I could not have said it better!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

I worked in this sector for a number of years and I praise the Lord for every minute of it :emot-fail:

we had 15 clients at da centre where I worked. I found dat dey were da most faithful, loyal and trusting people dat you could eva find on da face of dis earth. When i decided to take dem to church wid me (thinking it was a gud plan), I was pretty shocked at how we were quickly shoved to the back of da church. Our clients were treated politely but no one (except da pastors wife), really made an effort to actually sit nxt to dem or have a real conversation wid dem. It was lke dat for months. The isolation started to get to me so I stopped taking the clients and eventually stopped going myself.

YOu might want to confront ur church and let dem know how you are feeling or just start looking around for anotha church.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

damo1

to vickilynn

mental ilness should not be treated as sin and any one that says mental ilness is a sin needs to think hard

my second son to my very first girlfriend who i met in a youth refuge in katoomba when i was only 16 mark has autisem this is not classed as sin but i have heard when kids like my son are prayed over this is seen as a sin by the parents

my pastor use to work for mental health he was the main boss for new england in armidale and let me tell you he did not see this as sin with the clients he had most had this from the very day they were born

if my pastor had his own computer to were he can sign up and log on to worthy i would lead him to this very topic but he feels computers and inter net are just as sin and a waste of time for any one to be using but he understands that in todays world a child needs to learn how to use a computer

we have one lady with mental ilness in our church but she is no longer comming due to her ilness getting the best of her and freaking sevral people out but the door has always been opend for her to be among us

i would like to see any one tell me or my second child mark that he needs to repent and then his autisem wil go away and he will be free from the grip autisem has had over him as i read this i sort of found my self in that topic you mentioned vickilynn but i got out of it very fast i could not belive what i was hearing i wanted to say something but hay i notice it has to be agreed by what the op has set up in that topic off hers

my sons grand mother has been very prottective over mark and has not allowed no one to lay the guilt trip on him and tell him to his face his autisem is a sin and i am glad she had her head on as she was a jahove wittness but is a born again christian but mark is no longer in her care as he got to out of control and is know in an institution which i am trying my hardest to find out which one as what i heard his medication sent him off the edge

that other topic set up on this forum is set up to show how bad the church has gotten and only the true christians are given this right to bring in conviction that is what i felt when i read that topic

we are even prottective of the lady i told you about who does have mental problems and if we see anyone trying this to were they say its sin they find them selves being rebuked in love and given a warning

i thought id be honest hear to what you said in your topic about Narcissism

what a stupid question do we blame them with out really saying yes we blame them and the parents this is what the op of that topic should have said in true honesty

thanks vickilynn

god bless from your brother in the lord damien stipic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  543
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/15/1966

Luke 5:

31 And Jesus answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.

While this verse is in the context of salvation, I believe it applies here as well. Those of us who are ill with mental illnesses need more Jesus! More love, more grace, more forgiveness, more patience than those of us who are not ill.

Must.... bite... tongue.......

Pick.... and choose.... my battles....

gggaagggagakkckckak

Please, don't turn this into one of your debates, if you had a family member with mental illness, this wouldn't be funny to you. And if you notice she said, that verse wasn't really about this issue.

I have two mentally ill family members. A cousin with downs syndrom and a half brother with dabilitating autism. I noticed what she said, she said contextually its about salvation, but she thinks it applies here too. You simply cant do that. I brought it to light without changing the subject. I dont want to debate about it. LoL i think you will agree that we've done our fair share of scripture interpretation debating.

Neither downs syndrome nor autism are mental illnesses, though often they co-occur with mental illness.

Just wanted to clear that up before someone thinks a developmental intellectual disability or a developmental neurological disorder are mental illnesses.

My ex-husband has a severe mental illness, currently untreated, and I could not appreciate Vickilynn's OP more! I pray for him daily. Love and forgiveness (even if for my own walk with God) has brought me through so much with him. It is such a struggle for me - when he is getting treatment, he is one of the kindest, gentlest Christ-followers. But now, I pray daily for the spark of Holy Spirit that I know dwells in him to push push push him back toward God and a peaceful, undestructive state of being.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

You need to be sure that you're making and believing the right assessments, because if not, then biblically, (God's Word) tells us how to respond with those who claim to be Christians, and display this type of behavior. Do I believe God and His Word, or a label?

2 Timothy 3:1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God-- 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. 6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I believe in God's sovereignty. I believe God is the potter and that He makes everyone according to His purpose.

damo1

to tsth

i hope this was not being directed to those of us who have these people in our churches if this is being directed at us who have people with mental ilness and me being a father of a boy with autisem i would ask that you keep your views to your self

i am at the point were i am seeing double standards in this forum and i have already written a personal message to a moderating team member stating what i am about to do to a certain person who claims they are a true christian as i want to see if the laws in the real world apply to cyber space

i know what gods word says my question to you what is your point in stating to be sure we are hearing from god my son knows the bible does that mean because he has autisem he is going to go to hel because he has not repented of this ?

do we know start telling what the op of this post has put up that you cant come to church ? because you are not true to your self or true to gods word ?

its so simple to hide behind our bibles and the scriptures we are comfterbal with but do we really take heed to what we preach when it comes to topics like this and do we understand what jesus said when he picked the 12 disciples ?

• Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Dear damo,

I don't believe autism would fit the category, from the passages of Scripture I posted. I am merely referring to what was written in the Word of God.

In His Love,

Suzanne

damo1

to tsth

well i am glad as i can tell you one thing i have become very concerned and as i stated my pastor use to work in mental health before he took the full role as full time pastor of christian out reach center we also have sevral people in our church with mental ilness and reading what one poster said hear i am going to get back to him later on

we rebuke those that try this stance with the people we have also we had one young lady with down syndrom in our church she passed away last year

our church and the unitting church are the only two churches in this town that can handle people with mental ilness and kids like my son as what gets up my nose is how the other churches in this farming comunity send these preciouse brothers and sisters to us

this is what i do not like hearing when it comes to topics like this and dealing with this in the real world

my pastor use to often ring me up and we would talk and i would pray with him

it does not mean that these people are using this as an excuse to live this way some are on heavy medication and have been on heavy medication since they were young

some have suffered to the point were medication helps them adjust in our societys as its no longer were you shut these people away and forget about them

they are humen just as i am and just as you are

my son who has autisem its not his fault but i have had to adjust as best as i can and i can tel you if i catch any one trying to lay the guilt trip on him to the point were one trys to pull such a stunt to cast his autisem out of him i get very prottective to the point were i do challange

its time to stop hidding behind our bibles and the scripture passages we are so comfterbal with and take a good look at what jesus said when he picked the 12 disciples

if my pastor were to read what has been said in some of the topics hear he would get very up set we have sevral mental health workers who are true to them selves and true to gods word and they love doing what they do in the real world

these brothers and sisters have a heart and a love for these people that come to see them and do not throw the bible at them or tell them to stop using this as an excuse and say up front its a sin

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Damo...you are confusing definitions and discussing two different topics.

Autism and Downs syndrome are NOT mental illnesses and have NO PLACE in this discussion. Those are genetic birth defects. We are discussing why otherwise healthy people blame their sins on mental defects...not people who were born with gene defects in their brains. People with down syndrome or autism experience mental illness as a direct result of faulty genetic issues.

You are getting upset at people's opinions for no reason.