• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  1

Sincere question. :noidea:

Would you counsel them with the Word of God and what He has to say about Righteous living?

Peace,

Dave

Yes, but my point in being vague is that I don't know exactly how I would handle it. I don't think anyone does. If it happened, we would deal with it as best as we could without freaking out, but also laying the law down as well. Believe it or not, we are fairly authoritarian parents. My kids say yes sir and no sir, they respect adults, and when we tell them something, thats it. I don't beg and plead with my kids to do what I tell them to do like you see a lot of parents doing these days.

However, if you found out your teenage kid was smoking pot, drinking, or engaging in premarital sex, thats not an easy thing to handle. You can't freak out, you can't just explode, you have to have your head about you and handle the situation as best you can.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

Sincere question. :thumbsup:

Would you counsel them with the Word of God and what He has to say about Righteous living?

Peace,

Dave

Yes, but my point in being vague is that I don't know exactly how I would handle it. I don't think anyone does. If it happened, we would deal with it as best as we could without freaking out, but also laying the law down as well. Believe it or not, we are fairly authoritarian parents. My kids say yes sir and no sir, they respect adults, and when we tell them something, thats it. I don't beg and plead with my kids to do what I tell them to do like you see a lot of parents doing these days.

However, if you found out your teenage kid was smoking pot, drinking, or engaging in premarital sex, thats not an easy thing to handle. You can't freak out, you can't just explode, you have to have your head about you and handle the situation as best you can.

I agree. :noidea:

The reason I asked is because the Word of God is how I handle my kids. There is always and I mean always a pertinent passage and God's Holy Spirit always brings forth the right one at the right time.

I'm just way too silly to figure out how to raise them myself. So I pray, I seek out God's Word, and then I act in Love as God would have me. Sometimes Love means punishment.

Re

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Calling a time out here, guys. Back to the original thread re vending machines in Ca, I heard on

Fox news yesterday that CA law allows it but federal law doesn't. We'll have to watch where all this goes.

Calling a time out here, guys. Back to the original thread re vending machines in Ca, I heard on

Fox news yesterday that CA law allows it but federal law doesn't. We'll have to watch where all this goes.

I got to thinking about the idea of vending machines in general, and I have to wonder how long it will take before someone breaks into these "pot machines", if you will. Vending machines get broken into so often in my area that the Police call them "tweeker piggy banks." There's a laundromat not far from where I live that has 2 of them in a steel cage with a video camera on them 24/7, and someone stole the camera one night, then broke into the machines the next.

Now I have to ask everyone, what's a crook gonna do about a vending machine full of dope? :emot-handshake:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

By the way, forrest -

You have children, correct?

What will you do if you discover one of them is smoking marijuana?

Just curious.

Since they are 4 and 7, it would be very disturbing indeed. Of course I am only kidding, I know what you mean. If I caught them as a teen doing it my wife and I would have a long talk with them about it. I would not just freak out, but we would definitely treat it as the serious matter that it is.

So, if I understand this, personally you would not want your children to smoke marijuana, but you would support legislation that makes marijuana available to them?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

I got to thinking about the idea of vending machines in general, and I have to wonder how long it will take before someone breaks into these "pot machines", if you will. Vending machines get broken into so often in my area that the Police call them "tweeker piggy banks." There's a laundromat not far from where I live that has 2 of them in a steel cage with a video camera on them 24/7, and someone stole the camera one night, then broke into the machines the next.

Now I have to ask everyone, what's a crook gonna do about a vending machine full of dope? :noidea:

Thought the same, but looking into where they have put the machines, it'll be hard for them to even get close.

The machines are placed inside the building where the only way in is by fingerprint ID. There is a guard on duty all the time. Once you get in, you have to produce a card and have a prescription number to be punched in. The reason for the number is, when you have a prescription given you, you have to go into the "pharmacy" and choose your flavor of pot. Your script will be packaged and sealed to fit into the machine. The number they give you has to match the number you punch in. Seem they are afraid of raids also.

Still ...

• Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

quote lorax: "Um, there's an important difference between adults and children. Children aren't born with the discipline or knowledge required to live without rules. The purpose of parenthood is to instill these traits in one's children so that they may one day function as autonomous persons. I've been following your posts, Justin. You seem to think citizens should be treated like children for their whole lives, with the government as parent.

So you believe that we shouldn't have any laws or rules for adults? How naive.

Let me know when you wake up from your illusions.

Laws and rules are necessary because we cannot count on people to be 100% good, 100% of the time.

If there are no laws or rules for society, there's no society.

society: a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members.

Your opiate illusion of a utopic society will never exist.

God, doesn't even have the kind of society you and forrest are dreaming of. He has rules too. If our Creator thought it necessary to have rules, who are we to believe we don't need them, that we can be autonomous? Only an Agnostic could believe that a human being can be autonomous from God.

Our Creator is "Authoritarian," we were made in His Image.

The only being in the universe that is completely autonomous is God, everything else is incapable of that.

I'm not a cynic, I'm a realist.

You know where I stand. Marijuana should remain illegal for the time being. It should be controlled like any other narcotic and prescribed in extremely limited doses.

narcotic: a drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction

There are no significant societal benefits to legalizing marijuana. Allowing people to smoke marijuana, because they want to, is not a justifiable enough reason to legalize it.

We need fewer intoxicating substances circulating society, not more.

For that opinion, I am called a tyrant, authoritarian, dictator, fascist.

Nice dialogue guys, we are very lucky that you are so open-minded.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  183
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,892
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/07/1985

So you believe that we shouldn't have any laws or rules for adults? How naive.

Your entire post addresses a claim I never made. I never said there shouldn't be rules of any kind--that's absurd. I simply believe people can handle much more freedom than you give them credit for.

One of the freedoms I believe in is that every person should have dominion over their OWN BODY, if nothing else. I don't think drug users should ever be treated as criminals. Manufacturers and distributors should be prosecuted, but drug users should just be treated. Drug abuse is an issue of social health more than anything else. But right now we're treating it as a war and--surprise!--it's a war we're losing. I wonder why.

Maybe you're happy spending tens of billions of dollars per year on a losing war. Maybe you're happy that America, the land of the free, has THE MOST PRISONERS OF ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, even more than big bad China. Most of these prisoners are drug offenders, and their costly prison stay is not helping them or the taxpayers who are funding it. I'm not satisfied with this, and any sensible person realizes something needs to change.

Perhaps you think we have unlimited resources, and that ALL drug addicts should be rotting away in jail. A $71 trillion deficit begs to differ. An overtaxed justice system begs to differ. Any sensible person who understands our limitations understands that decriminalizing non-addictive, non-lethal drugs like marijuana is the first step in the right direction. Our limited resources are much better spent fighting the REALLY harmful stuff like heroine and crystal meth.

Opiate Propaganda in it's most lucid form.

"Any sensible person who understands our limitations understands that decriminalizing non-addictive, non-lethal drugs like marijuana is the first step in the right direction."

So, I'm insensible, because I want fewer intoxicating substances circulating and infecting society.

quote lorax: "Maybe you're happy that America, the land of the free, has THE MOST PRISONERS OF ANY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, even more than big bad China."

Your sarcasm is gratuitous and unnecessary. People are in prison because they broke the law, I don't pity them. Now, how about some of that sensibility you were raving about a few lines up? Be sensible lorax, China has secret prisons and labor camps, something the US does not. China also has a quicker execution process than the US.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/0405-07.htm. China has the highest rate of executions in the world and accounts for 90% of the world's executions.

If China is such a wonderful place to live, go live there, I will look forward to seeing your posts from there, if they ever come, since China persecutes it's Christians and bans blogging sites, just like this one.

If you have a 90% chance of being executed for committing a crime, it would probably discourage you from committing the crime. As it is, if you commit a crime in the US, you have less than a 1% chance of being executed for it.

There are more crimes committed in the US because our punishment isn't as severe, so the consequences of their activities aren't as severe. They get 3 squares, hot showers, cable TV, AC, clean clothes etc. For a person that is living in squalor, prison isn't a deterrant.

Legalizing drugs won't reduce our prison population. Making people want to avoid prison more, will reduce those numbers.