IGNORED

Superlapsarianism vs Infralapsarianism

BurnForChrist

What is your view on the logical order of Gods decrees?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your view on the logical order of Gods decrees?

• Superlapsarianism
    • Infralapsariansim
    • Amyraldism
    • Arminianism

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1990

For those who are not familiar with this theological debate here is a brief summary of all four views with a more specific explanation between superlapsarianism and infralapsariansim below.

Supralapsarianism

1. Elect some, reprobate rest.

2. Create

3. Permit Fall

4. Provide salvation for elect

5. Call elect to salvation

Infralapsarianism

1. Create

2. Permit Fall

3. Elect some, pass over the rest

4. Provide salvation for the elect

Amyraldism

1. Create

2. Permit Fall

3. Provide salvation sufficient for all

4. Elect some, pass over rest

Arminianism

1. Create

2. Permit Fall

3. Provide salvation for all

4. Call all to salvation

5. Elect those who believe

The distinction between infralapsarianism and supralapsarianism has to do with the logical order of God's eternal decrees, not the timing of election. Neither side suggests that the elect were chosen after Adam sinned. God made His choice before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4)—long before Adam sinned. Both infras and supras (and even many Arminians) agree on this.

SUPRALAPSARIANISM is the view that God, contemplating man as yet unfallen, chose some to receive eternal life and rejected all others. So a supralapsarian would say that the reprobate (non-elect)—vessels of wrath fitted for destruction (Rom. 9:22)—were first ordained to that role, and then the means by which they fell into sin was ordained. In other words, supralapsarianism suggests that God's decree of election logically preceded His decree to permit Adam's fall—so that their damnation is first of all an act of divine sovereignty, and only secondarily an act of divine justice.

INFRALAPSARIANISM (also known sometimes as "sublapsarianism") suggests that God's decree to permit the fall logically preceded His decree of election. So when God chose the elect and passed over the non-elect, He was contemplating them all as fallen creatures.

Those are the two major Calvinistic views. Under the supralapsarian scheme, God first rejects the reprobate out of His sovereign good pleasure; then He ordains the means of their damnation through the fall. In the infralapsarian order, the non-elect are first seen as fallen individuals, and they are damned solely because of their own sin. Infralapsarians tend to emphasize God's "passing over" the non-elect (preterition) in His decree of election.

(Note: The summary of Superlapsarianism, Infralapsarianism, Amyraldianism, and Arminianism along with the distinction between supra and infra are taken from http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/sup_infr.htm | Dont want any plagiarism :) )

At first the terms and summaries of all four views can be hard to grasp and wrap your mind around but this is simply to best explain how GOD logically ordered his eternal decrees. Do not let strife take root in this discussion, keep it healthy :emot-hug:. So what theological position do you hold or agree to?

Burn

Edited by BurnForChrist

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

There you go with those lasa apso words again Burnsy lol. I voted, and finally understand what you keep talking about.

Thanks for completing your homework assignment lol.

Wait! Wait! :P:):24:

I Can't Seem To Find The "Trust In The Blood Of Jesus" Check Box :)

"For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2

And Where Is That "Trust In God's Work" Button :emot-hug:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Oh No! I'm Gonna Flunk! :):P;)

:)

Guest Biblicist

None of those are completely accurate...I'm with Brother Joe...

Trust in the Blood of Jesus and Trust in God's work! :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I see "Elect those who believe" as trusting in the blood of Jesus.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I'm just curious, what meaning to the word "Elect" is left when it is used in that sentence?

It can't possibly retain its original fundamental meaning "to choose", because there is no choice left in the matter, once the other party makes the "choice", there is allegedly nothing else God can do for He is obligated to to take in each and every one of those who "chose" correctly.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I'm just curious, what meaning to the word "Elect" is left when it is used in that sentence?

It can't possibly retain its original fundamental meaning "to choose", because there is no choice left in the matter, once the other party makes the "choice", there is allegedly nothing else God can do for He is obligated to to take in each and every one of those who "chose" correctly.

Good question! I saw this as meaning that when we choose salvation in Jesus, we are accepted. or elected, into His family. BurnForChrist, can you clarify? Am I wrong?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm with Solomon (or whoever it was that wrote Ecclesiastes):

Ecclesiastes 12

12 . . . Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Whatever conclusion you achieve through this discussion over Super- and Infra - whatsitism, the bottom line is that if you do not believe in Jesus (become born again or whatever way you wish to express this) you will be eternally judged and if you do believe in Jesus you will spend eternity with Him. And is that not what matters in the end?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I can't even pronounce any of those.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I'm with Solomon (or whoever it was that wrote Ecclesiastes):

Ecclesiastes 12

12 . . . Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

13 Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.

Whatever conclusion you achieve through this discussion over Super- and Infra - whatsitism, the bottom line is that if you do not believe in Jesus (become born again or whatever way you wish to express this) you will be eternally judged and if you do believe in Jesus you will spend eternity with Him. And is that not what matters in the end?

Well said. :emot-highfive: