• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

The problem with T.V is it's about profit, and shock value draws viewers. It's easier (and cheaper) to make a low brow show than it is to spend a lot of time on great acting and writing. That's one of the reasons I barely watch television.

Even news stations fall into the 'entertainment' trap. FOX comes across as sensationalism to me, and CNN seems to focus on only the bad stuff. I still tend to watch the news, but I always try to keep a critical eye on how they present the news itself.

So yeah, I really don't watch much TV. If I watch anything, it's either the news, The Daily Show, or the Colbert Report (and sometimes the O'Reily Factor just for the difference in opinion).

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

I discovered last night that my days of viewing tv shows is coming to a quick end. I have watched ER since it began, I have always loved this show even thought it can be questionable in it's content. Well last night was a new episode and the show opened with a homosexual + 1 scene (I describe it like that because I don't know if I'm allowed to say the other word. I'm sure you catch my drift) and it closed with split second nudity but slow enough that I could see. :rolleyes: I am utterly disgusted. In my memory it wasn't that bad before.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

I have basic cable but my kids want me to upgrade it. When I look at what the more expensive packages offer, I realize it's a lot of nonsense. I'd rather watch DVDs than the TV. The world's gone crazy but it's good to know that God is in control.

Come Lord Jesus, come!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

It would be great if you could pick the channels you want and only pay for them, but that won't happen.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I have basic cable but my kids want me to upgrade it.

Grab a couple Veggie Tales. :24:

I've watched some of these more times than I can count with my 6yr old girl...they never get old. :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

fox news

Sure beats PMSNBC (aka MSLSD) and the Clinton News Network.

still, no good. if you want any peace of mind at all, get away from all cable news. for me, it just feeds all kinds of thoughts that i should not be finding a place for. it will keep feeding and nourishing all kinds of judgmental and negative thoughts and attitudes that we should not be carrying around. bad news !!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  445
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

fox news

Sure beats PMSNBC (aka MSLSD) and the Clinton News Network.

still, no good. if you want any peace of mind at all, get away from all cable news. for me, it just feeds all kinds of thoughts that i should not be finding a place for. it will keep feeding and nourishing all kinds of judgmental and negative thoughts and attitudes that we should not be carrying around. bad news !!

Couldn't agree more as 99% of CNN and Fox News programming now days are editorial type shows where people tell give you their opinion on the hot topic and twist it every which way but Sunday to brain wash people in to believing their point of view. The only time I watch Cable News channels is if there is "Breaking News" such as 9/11 or something along those lines and even then it's usually for only a hour tops as after that they usually just start repeating everything that's already known and start in with their "Could've , Should've , Would've" Happened if..... crap.

Local news is no better though as all the tops stuff is shown in the first 10 min. and the other 20 min. are crap stories nobody cares about like Consumer Reports and the like. I watch way more ESPN News than I do regular news and that's pretty bad.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  445
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

In 1993 I saw a bumper sticker that read....Kill your TV.....

With digital coming in Feb. 09 most TV's won't pick up signal, if mine doesn't I'll be ok with that.

That's not true that's just what the retailers and media want you to believe so you'll run out and spend a couple thousand on a brand new HD-TV.

The truth is as long as you already have Cable or Satellite like Direct TV or Dish Network everything will switch over without a problem. Of course you won't get HD reception without HD hookup but you won't get the dreaded black screen or white noise everyone talks about. The only people that will have a problem will be those who still use a reg. roof antena or use rabbit ears to get reception which if I had to guess is like 1% of the population these days. lol

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/25/1970

Btw...

I am writing a pilot for a new TV series, as part of the script frenzy contest. Not that I have much chance to see it aired as it is my very first script I ever write in English, but maybe you could want to give it a look, if so...

(Note that you will only see an excerpt, and to actually get the script you will need to click on "View Document")

Concern for those who concern: the episod depicts (fictional) magic and some violence but it is the "bad guys" who do that.

http://www.writing.com/main/handler/item_id/1411341

Critics much welcomed!

Edited by Viribus Unitis

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

In 1993 I saw a bumper sticker that read....Kill your TV.....

With digital coming in Feb. 09 most TV's won't pick up signal, if mine doesn't I'll be ok with that.

That's not true that's just what the retailers and media want you to believe so you'll run out and spend a couple thousand on a brand new HD-TV.

The truth is as long as you already have Cable or Satellite like Direct TV or Dish Network everything will switch over without a problem. Of course you won't get HD reception without HD hookup but you won't get the dreaded black screen or white noise everyone talks about. The only people that will have a problem will be those who still use a reg. roof antena or use rabbit ears to get reception which if I had to guess is like 1% of the population these days. lol

:emot-highfive: from a member of that 1%.