IGNORED

A Question About Baptism

Guest Guest_Martin_*

My grandmother, whom I live with, often talks about me getting baptized. I am a Christian, but I'm definitely not as she is. I see a lot of baptisms at my church and they always ask the person if they believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. I agree with that, but there has to be more to it. What does it really mean to be baptized and what kind of commitment is involved?

You can find some help in this video. Actually you can view the entire series. The Link is >Youtube Link Removed By Joe<

regards

me

Welcome~!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

My grandmother, whom I live with, often talks about me getting baptized. I am a Christian, but I'm definitely not as she is. I see a lot of baptisms at my church and they always ask the person if they believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. I agree with that, but there has to be more to it. What does it really mean to be baptized and what kind of commitment is involved?

What more do you think is to it?

Every person who came to faith by believing in Jesus Christ were baptized.

Mark 16:16 (NLT)

16 Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned.

Grace to you and welcome,

No more commitment is involved than in confessing that Jesus Christ is the Lord publically. wub.gif

It's a public confirmation of your Faith in God and the atonement of Christ for your sins.

Here in the States and in many Western Nations it is simply a Religious practice we follow. However in some Nations it could cost you your life or the life of Loved ones to make this public confession of Baptism. Which makes it a much weightier matter than it is here but nonetheless less significant.

If you believe God and agree with His Word than you know that He first Loved you which enables you to Love Him and all the more you will desire to be Obedient to His call to Baptism. It doesn't Save you anymore than you already are but it is an act of Worship and Obedience and I can't see why you wouldn't want to.

It cost Him everything to win your life. wub.gif

Baptism can also be equated with His death, your death, and His subsequent Ressurected Life, your new Life. Agreeing with Him you die to your sins, your old way of life, as your immersed and rise up out of the water in His Life, your new born again Life, Imparted to you by Him.

Peace,

Dave

I feel that this first response was sufficient for the question regarding the significance of the baptism.

Grace to you and welcome,

No more commitment is involved than in confessing that Jesus Christ is the Lord publically. wub.gif

It's a public confirmation of your Faith in God and the atonement of Christ for your sins.

Here in the States and in many Western Nations it is simply a Religious practice we follow. However in some Nations it could cost you your life or the life of Loved ones to make this public confession of Baptism. Which makes it a much weightier matter than it is here but nonetheless less significant.

If you believe God and agree with His Word than you know that He first Loved you which enables you to Love Him and all the more you will desire to be Obedient to His call to Baptism. It doesn't Save you anymore than you already are but it is an act of Worship and Obedience and I can't see why you wouldn't want to.

It cost Him everything to win your life. wub.gif

Baptism can also be equated with His death, your death, and His subsequent Ressurected Life, your new Life. Agreeing with Him you die to your sins, your old way of life, as your immersed and rise up out of the water in His Life, your new born again Life, Imparted to you by Him.

Peace,

Dave

I feel that this first response was sufficient for the question regarding the significance of the baptism.

Welcome~!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry for the duplication.

Edwin.

Edited by paredwin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It's a tradition which you should take part in when the Lord leads you to.  But if you died today and were never baptized with water yet had a relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. Which you do. Then you would still go to Heaven.  John the Baptist played it down when he said I baptize with water but one is coming greater than I that baptizes with fire.Speaking of Jesus who brings the Holy Spirit.  It's important yes! But it isn't everything.  It's a tradition yet traditions are good because they force you to physically act something out which solidifies in your mind what you believe. Its an outer deed that reflects an inward washing away of your sins and being raised up into a new clean (Holy) life.   But believe me I've known lots of people that went through the motions and got pressured by their mothers to get baptized when they were twelve and grew up to be evil people.  I'm sure everyone of the pharisees were baptized. So anyway just get baptized when ever you feel the quickening in your spirit to do so. Wait for the Holy Spirits' nudging.  Wait until your serious about it.      

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Let me clarify one more thing... if you are a Christian the Holy Spirit will move in you and you will want to be baptized. Every true Christian seeks to become baptized eventually.  Your baptism is evidence to everyone that you belong to God.  Get baptized. But don't force it. Pray about this. And keep reading you Bible. And never forget that the Holy Spirit is as close as your breath. 

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

Let me clarify one more thing... if you are a Christian the Holy Spirit will move in you and you will want to be baptized. Every true Christian seeks to become baptized eventually.  Your baptism is evidence to everyone that you belong to God.  Get baptized. But don't force it. Pray about this. And keep reading you Bible. And never forget that the Holy Spirit is as close as your breath. 

I am with you on this.  My wife, who is a Christian and whom the Lord used to lead me to Him is not babtized.  That was 13 years ago.  I have since been babtized but not her.  She wants to be of course, I just asked her 5 minutes ago before I posted this.   She is not good in the front of crowds. She is not ashamed of professing Jesus as her Savoir by any means.  She would be imbarrased what she would look like after coming up out of the water.  Something to that effect.  She will do it in a smaller setting tho, we will see.  The Lord knows her heart, and I know it fairly well as she professes it to me.  She is moved by the Spirit as you mentioned, just waiting for the right setting.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Baptism basically shows that you getting rid of all your sins that you had you before you were saved.

When your standing the first it signifies Jesus being crucified

When your pastor puts you under the water it signifies him being buried ( the cleansing of your sin)

When you are brought back to standing position it signifies Jesus rising again ( This you being cleansed)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I am with you on this.  My wife, who is a Christian and whom the Lord used to lead me to Him is not babtized.  That was 13 years ago.  I have since been babtized but not her.  She wants to be of course, I just asked her 5 minutes ago before I posted this.   She is not good in the front of crowds. She is not ashamed of professing Jesus as her Savoir by any means.  She would be imbarrased what she would look like after coming up out of the water.  Something to that effect.  She will do it in a smaller setting tho, we will see.  The Lord knows her heart, and I know it fairly well as she professes it to me.  She is moved by the Spirit as you mentioned, just waiting for the right setting.

My father was a strong believer in Jesus Christ for many years before he died suddenly of cardiac arrhythmia. He always refused baptism because he succumbed to the fear of being in front of people. In retrospect, I regret that no one in his life suggested a party of two or three in someone's swimming pool could be a way for him to be baptized. However, is he with Jesus? Yes he surely is. At his face-to-face meeting with the Saviour, did he immediately regret not obeying God and pushing through his fear? I am sure he did.

However, there are people who would condemn him and say all manner of things against him for rejecting baptism for such flimsy reasons. The devil sets up arguments within us against many things. My father is just one person who had an unreasonable argument, but it was based in fear. Fears are based on lies. We all believe lies of some sort or other and many of us will be corrected by the Lord. My father was deeply ensconced in his fear.

Having said that, did his life reveal Christ to others? It surely did. His funeral was one of the largest funerals I have ever seen, with visitors lined up out the doors of the funeral home, and strangers coming up to us to say how much he meant to them. Children placed a baggie of Chiclets in the coffin because he was the "Gum Man" at church! His co-workers expressed such respect for him for his unusual honesty and refusal to allow a mean or filthy word to cross his lips. We were able to say to them it was because of his faith---they knew.

So, God can use a person with all his weaknesses in spite of those weaknesses...baptized or not, for it is by God's grace through placing our faith in Jesus that we are saved. Not by water---but by Jesus' blood and His anointing which He received at His own baptism---as Lord of all.

1 John 5:5-6 (NLT)

And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

And Jesus Christ was revealed as God’s Son by his baptism in water and by shedding his blood on the cross—not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit, who is truth, confirms it with his testimony.