• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

In and of itself, being outside is not cruel to a dog. It's the idea that he must spend all of those days alone, with no attention.

I adopted a dog to avoid having her go into a shelter when she was a puppy. When we adopted her, she was inside most of the time. My son tied her out first thing in the am, so she could eat and do her business, then I walked her a few hours later and brought her inside.

However, I have allergies and asthma and I can no longer keep her inside. I never could have cats and now I cant have dogs or rabbits inside, I had to move both of them outside. We have a trailer with a porch, and she has a dog house so she is cool enough in summer and I will see to it that she is warm enough in winter (its SC so we're not talking much freezing weather anyway).

But she is still very much a part of our family. She is walked several times a day, she is played with, fed and watered regularly and when we are out on the porch we let her come up and hang out with us too. (I dont consider it a problem to take a shower after being outside and playing with the dog, its SC in the summer anyway)

My Dog Precious

almost two yrs old

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wanted to add that there is nothing wrong with looking out your window and keeping track of how they are caring for the dog. It's your window and last I checked this is a sort of free country.

I would talk to them and say that it's a beautiful dog and start from there, mention that you are concerned that he doesn't get any attention or exercise and perhaps they hadn't realised how much care it would take when they got him and you would completely understand that they might not want to talk him to a shelter (heaven knows how many animals my family has adopted and then regretted). mention that you might know someone looking for a dog and could you give this person their name... Most likely they will either feel guilty and start caring for the animal or they will let you take their information and find a new home for him.

Of course they could get rude and tell you to myob, at which time it might be time to call the SPCA.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Birthday:  05/16/1975

In and of itself, being outside is not cruel to a dog. It's the idea that he must spend all of those days alone, with no attention.

I adopted a dog to avoid having her go into a shelter when she was a puppy. When we adopted her, she was inside most of the time. My son tied her out first thing in the am, so she could eat and do her business, then I walked her a few hours later and brought her inside.

However, I have allergies and asthma and I can no longer keep her inside. I never could have cats and now I cant have dogs or rabbits inside, I had to move both of them outside. We have a trailer with a porch, and she has a dog house so she is cool enough in summer and I will see to it that she is warm enough in winter (its SC so we're not talking much freezing weather anyway).

But she is still very much a part of our family. She is walked several times a day, she is played with, fed and watered regularly and when we are out on the porch we let her come up and hang out with us too. (I dont consider it a problem to take a shower after being outside and playing with the dog, its SC in the summer anyway)

http://www.geocities.com/rvnshadowwinds/Precious.jpg <---- my fur baby, now almost two yrs old

Awwwwwww look at your SWEET doggie! :emot-questioned:

I totally understand that being an outside dog is not a form of abuse. But I have yet to see them take him out of the backyard except maybe three times total. And the fact that he once went those days with no food or water (and that he constantly barks and they do nothing about it, even in the middle of the night) shows how little they pay attention to him. I'm keeping a very frequent eye on him though. He's in his dog house right now. I know this because that is where his leash leads..

I also wanted to add that there is nothing wrong with looking out your window and keeping track of how they are caring for the dog. It's your window and last I checked this is a sort of free country.

I would talk to them and say that it's a beautiful dog and start from there, mention that you are concerned that he doesn't get any attention or exercise and perhaps they hadn't realised how much care it would take when they got him and you would completely understand that they might not want to talk him to a shelter (heaven knows how many animals my family has adopted and then regretted). mention that you might know someone looking for a dog and could you give this person their name... Most likely they will either feel guilty and start caring for the animal or they will let you take their information and find a new home for him.

Of course they could get rude and tell you to myob, at which time it might be time to call the SPCA.

:emot-questioned:

Awwwwwww look at your SWEET doggie! :emot-questioned:

I totally understand that being an outside dog is not a form of abuse. But I have yet to see them take him out of the backyard except maybe three times total. And the fact that he once went those days with no food or water (and that he constantly barks and they do nothing about it, even in the middle of the night) shows how little they pay attention to him. I'm keeping a very frequent eye on him though. He's in his dog house right now. I know this because that is where his leash leads..

She's a lab, chow mix and will probably be sweet and youthful until she dies. Unfortunately we've had some trouble teaching her that stray cats are not threats that we need to know about at 3 am. (It is a trailer park).

Because she's outside, we make time to spend with her now, before it was more spontaneous and sometimes she would get tired of being pushed away and just curl up on my lap as if she was a small dog.

Precious would so love another dog to play with but even if you were close we cant have another dog, it's in the lease. If Precious dies or runs off, we cannot replace her. We can have all the birds, rats, gerbils or fish we want but no new dogs or cats. :emot-questioned:

Awwwwwwww. What's so ironic about all this is that up until two years ago, I was stricty a cat person. My mom had dogs while I was growing up, but I could take them or leave them. I LOVED my cat, and she loved me, and cats were it. Then, I finally caved and got my husband a dog in 2006. My heart has been TOTALLY changed. I cannot believe how much love I have for her, so much so that I got our second one a few months ago. Dogs are the BEST, and I want our neighbor's dog to be loved as much as ours are.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Maybe if they know someone is watching, they will take better care of the dog.

Maybe if they know someone is watching, they will take better care of the dog.

Exactly what my husband thinks. :emot-questioned:

Just keep in mind that you own a dog - cats just have staff. :whistling:

:24: So true! :24: My cat looks at me like, "You didn't come up here fast enough when I called you. Be gone, servant." :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

My neighbors got a dog about a year ago, and they don't take care of him. He's neglected, and it just breaks my heart. There would be times he would be without food or water for a few days, but I was able to slip food and water through the fence for him and pet him and love on him (they leave him in the backyard at all times, he does not go in the house with them, and I have never seen anyone in the backyard playing with him). I finally said something to the little boy who lives there about the dog not having any food, and he has not gone without food or water since. Now, however, they have him leashed up. So, even if he does end up with no food or water, I can't get to him. I can't go over and pet him anymore. Anyway, he was crying and barking a lot a little while ago, so I looked out the window of my upper floor to check on him, and I'm pretty sure my neighbor saw me looking into their yard, and I felt SO guilty. I'm so sad for this doggie, he deserves a family to love him and give him the attention and affection he needs. I don't know what to do...they got him from the shelter, and trust me, calling this in and having him sent back there is worse, at least in this county.

hay its damo

i am not sure if you are aware of this group its called dog town they take in dogs and find homes for them they are based in your part of the world

i have been watching this show on the national geographical channel and the show has me hooked these guys also take the dogs home and then bring them back to the center they take in dogs like the one you mentioned and work with them and find them homes they do not put them down

these guys take on strays as wel and they take on dogs who have been abused

when are they out ? is some one always home ?

the reason i am asking if nothing is done that dog is going to turn i have seen this were i live and my heart brakes for that poor dog

hear is the web site mathqueen

www.bestfriends.org

Genral information

Best Friends Animal society

5001 Angel canyon road

Kanab UTAH 84741- 5000

main phone (435) 644-2001 ext 4750

email info@bestfriends.org

try these guys out tell them what you have obeserved give them the owners adress and tell them that the dog has been neglected and treated badly

thes guys who work with these dogs are amazing and they do work with the dogs until they see that they can live comfterbal with a family who has kids or with a family who has pets

hear in Australia the rspca would have taken that dog and taken the owners to court mathqueen

i pray that the lord gives you wisdom in this situation but if it was me living next door i would weight until no one was home and go into the back yard and take that dog to a mates place and then do what ever i can to make sure that they are dealt with by the law

i hope this helps mathqueen if you have the national geographical channel on cable tv you will love this show mathqueen and you wil see why i am hooked

ps dont feel bad about spying you are human and you have done the right thing by doing what you could while you had acsess to the dog the owners probably worked it out that you were feeding their dog and decided to move it to were you can not get access to the dog dont let them intimidate you may be leave a note in their letter box and tell them to do the right thing or you wil call the proper authoritys if nothing is done to were he is shown love and taken care of that poor dog needs love and this is no way to treat a dog like this he wil take it out on their kids as i said i saw this were i was living and the owner ended up geting in trouble as a neighbour said something to the police and rspca and had taken photos and recorded this also on their cam recorder with out the owner knowing they were being filmed

God bless from damo