• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

An interesting thread this. Thank you for posting it, because it made me have a better (if not cursory) look at the subject, and any delving into the scriptures is good.

I don

Edited by Fez

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

poke, you have plenty of valid reasons for wanting your girlfriend to abstain from alcohol. please don't rationalize your reasons with the "cause me to stumble" thing if you're not going to be caused to stumble. (and it sounds to me as if there is no worries of that.)

i'm more concerned about whether you may be unequally yoked. granted, she's (if i understand correctly) a christian as well, but by your own admission, you're at very different places in your spiritual walks. she's wanting to partake in an illegal activity. one can argue forever about whether or not Christ drank wine, but there's no arguing whether it is legal.

and given her age, i believe her desire to drink is because she thinks it would be "cool". that's a very unwise reason to drink. not to mention, cool or not cool as her reason, she's already demonstrating that she would be irresponsible with alcohol.

i have no reason to think that God disapproves of responsible drinking. He permitted it in His word way too many times, and even granted clear permission for the purchase of hard alcohol at tithe feasts or whatever they were called... as long as it was consumed in honour of God. (see passage below). now, how would your girlfriend's drinking honour God? quite simply, it wouldn't. and considering her family history

the passage below is from the NKJV, but in parenthesis i've included the KJV terminology for alcohol.

deut. 14:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

I myself hold the position that it is unwise, and from what I've read in the Word, it just isn't a good idea- unless it's wine consumed by someone who is sick and/or dying. Both Proverbs and 1 Timothy state that.

I plan to evaluate the Greek text to see specific meanings for the words used in their contexts.

But anyways, my reason for asking is because I've knocked heads with my girlfriend a few times about the issue. She says, "I've never tried it. What's wrong with just trying it? I mean, Jesus drank wine... it's okay as long as you don't get drunk. It's not a sin."

What I need is scriptural evidence for the obvious position that Christ's followers aren't called to drink.

Thank you.

I, personally, do not hold having a drink to be wrong,

now, having said that, we are to refrain from the appearance of doing any evil...

we do not drink, any wine or other strong drink, why? not because we think it is wrong, but what if some one said, it is not wrong to drink cause Rev so and so does, and if they are a man (or woman) of God, and they do, then it must be ok.....

if I drink a glass of wine once a year with a special meal, and some one happens to know me sees me, and this causes them to drink and to sin.... hmmmm not a good thing.... so, we do not......

grant it, there are times that a little wine is beneficial to the stomach, however, we do need to be considerate of others...

mik

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Poke,

I did not even consider or know your age when I posted prior. Drunkenness is wrong. That is not pleasing to God. Underage drinking is illegal. That said, I'd discourage the partaking of alcohol when it is clearly against the law due to your and Sara's age. I am concerned that she has been raised in a household that imbibes liberally - I truly believe from what I've seen in my ex-husband's family and others that abuse of alcohol is inherent - I don't know if it is social or genetic, but I have a lot of personal research that shows a pattern of predisposition to abuse of alcohol through generations. Thankfully, the cycle has been broken in my family - but it was a hard thing to deal with.... and if you never start it - you never have a problem.

Blessings!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/25/1977

Lots of good replies, but from what I have seen, many are just throwing out "opinions". My opinion does not matter, whether I am against drinking or believe that drinking in moderation is acceptable are not the case. Scripture is clear that drinking in small amounts is acceptable. Even Jesus himself drank and commented that the pharisees would refer to Him as a drunkard (Matthew 11:19). Now, for the OP, many are correct, drinking in the USA is prohibited for those under the age of 21. But what happens if these kids go to Canada where the age is 19? or to Mexico where the age is....if you can reach the bar? or to France where even the kids drink a little wine with dinner and is acceptable in most cultures. We have to think outside of just our happy little world. Now, if you are in the states, I highly suggest you follow the law of the land. Drinking for minors is simply not wise. Once you get to the age where you can legally purchase alcohol...I would suggest that if there is no problems with it, to drink in moderation, in faith, and with wisdom.

We go back to the topic of the last supper. Jesus would not drink on this night. He even stated that He would not drink of the fruit of this vine until He drank it with us in Heaven. This is best explained in the fact that God commanded the Levite priests to abstain from alcohol while they were going into the temple to make offerings. Jesus, being our last Levite priest made the last sacrifice for us...He did this with a sober mind....He did not abstain because wine is a sin, but in order to fulfill all righteousness.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

This is a wonderful world created by God for us.There are many good things we can taste and there are some bad things as well.The key is not

to over do it.

Blessings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  125
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/20/1956

An interesting thread this. Thank you for posting it, because it made me have a better (if not cursory) look at the subject, and any delving into the scriptures is good.

I don

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I myself hold the position that it is unwise, and from what I've read in the Word, it just isn't a good idea- unless it's wine consumed by someone who is sick and/or dying. Both Proverbs and 1 Timothy state that.

I plan to evaluate the Greek text to see specific meanings for the words used in their contexts.

But anyways, my reason for asking is because I've knocked heads with my girlfriend a few times about the issue. She says, "I've never tried it. What's wrong with just trying it? I mean, Jesus drank wine... it's okay as long as you don't get drunk. It's not a sin."

What I need is scriptural evidence for the obvious position that Christ's followers aren't called to drink.

Thank you.

No one can say with any confidence that drinking alcohol is a sin... it is not called a sin in the bible. However, I take issue with people who use the bible as an excuse to drink alcohol as well. If you are going to drink...then do it and be advised of the TONS of warnings the bible gives you.

However, don't blame the drinking of alcohol on bad theology "Jesus made wine" ...or flawed history "they had no water". There is plenty to debate on several fronts in how the bible speaks on alcohol. It cannot be called a sin...but it cannot be called wise either. If God has given you a conviction to avoid alcohol, and has given you the strength to carry it out...be happy with that and don't let worldly peer pressure take it away from you.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Thank you.

No one can say with any confidence that drinking alcohol is a sin... it is not called a sin in the bible. However, I take issue with people who use the bible as an excuse to drink alcohol as well. If you are going to drink...then do it and be advised of the TONS of warnings the bible gives you.

However, don't blame the drinking of alcohol on bad theology "Jesus made wine" ...or flawed history "they had no water". There is plenty to debate on several fronts in how the bible speaks on alcohol. It cannot be called a sin...but it cannot be called wise either. If God has given you a conviction to avoid alcohol, and has given you the strength to carry it out...be happy with that and don't let worldly peer pressure take it away from you.

Good advice.... :laugh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

Here's my take on this:

I think it depends on the person. Alcohol itself isn't sinful, but there are SPIRITS behind it that can make it sinful. I know that I myself, personally, cannot drink any alcohol, because I tend to overdo, and "drink to excess". What's more, I drink with potentially evil motives. Combine my selfish will with that of an evil spirit AND an evil inclination---it becomes sin. I've tried to drink wine as a celebratory thing with my church family and I made a total donkey (yes I said that) out of myself.

So, for me, to drink any sort of alcohol---even in a Shabbat seder---is sin. I have to stick with grape juice, I have no choice in the matter.

I'm sure others can drink, and my friends do. I don't.

a.