Matthitjah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

This is a case of trying to make a big deal out of nothing....unless it's any of you doing the bowing....why do you worry about such things? I didn't hear a peep from anyone when GWB held hands with King Abdullah while strolling through the Rose Garden. :emot-highfive:

Well, first, it's degrading for the President of the United States to be bowing to any other Head of State. It is not protocol in any sense of the word.

Holding hands is a sign of friendship in Saudi Arabia. Heads of State bowing to each other is not. In any political arena.

Without any disrespect to President Bush.....I don't care WHOSE tradition that is....it's stupid.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a case of trying to make a big deal out of nothing....unless it's any of you doing the bowing....why do you worry about such things? I didn't hear a peep from anyone when GWB held hands with King Abdullah while strolling through the Rose Garden. :emot-highfive:

Being equal is not subservient. Holding hands in friendship is not bowing in submission.

True...but Obama is himself and he does things his way. As did Mr. Bush. I doubt if the President sees himself as subservient to ANYONE. With all the problems in the world...this just isn't that big of a deal. But I think the President needs to fire his protocol advisors and hire people with some common sense.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  3

Alright everyone, since this is Japan, we get to examine some other Historical cases of foreign policy in this relation!

Bowing to Japanese Royalty to show Respect; better or worse than vomiting on The Japanese Prime Ministers shoes (Ala-Bush 41?)

Granted, Bush 41 did surprisingly well with the aftermath of that one, apologizing and getting applause, which was the honourable thing to do.

However, despite what some alleged "Japanese Bow Experts" would have you think on certain news channels, Bowing in Japan is somewhat akin to The Inuit and words for Snow. Let's see what someone who actually has some first hand perspective on this thinks. Edited for relevance.

link

Bowing in Japan has many functions in one. It expresses the feeling of respect, thanking, apologizing, greeting, and so on. For example, you can bow, when you say, "thank you", "sorry", "hello", "good bye", " welcome", "congratulations", "excuse me", "good night", "good morning", and more.

Bowing seems simple, but there are some different ways of bowing. It depends on the social status or age of the person you bow to. If the person is higher status or older than you are, it's common to bow deeper and longer, showing respect.

...A more formal way of bowing is performed to a 45-degree angle looking down at your feet. This type of bow signifies deep gratitude, a respectful greeting, a formal apology, asking for favors, and so on.

Obama actually used the right bow for the right situation. Not bowing to The Emperor, being Royalty, and much older, would be something akin to swatting aside an offer for a handshake and scowling, keeping in mind that The Emperor is a very important Cultural Figure in Japan.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Me thinks if it was Obama holding hands withe the 'Prince', everyone would be criticizing him for promoting the gay agenda...can't win no how.

Guest shiloh357
Alright everyone, since this is Japan, we get to examine some other Historical cases of foreign policy in this relation!

Bowing to Japanese Royalty to show Respect; better or worse than vomiting on The Japanese Prime Ministers shoes (Ala-Bush 41?)

Granted, Bush 41 did surprisingly well with the aftermath of that one, apologizing and getting applause, which was the honourable thing to do.

However, despite what some alleged "Japanese Bow Experts" would have you think on certain news channels, Bowing in Japan is somewhat akin to The Inuit and words for Snow. Let's see what someone who actually has some first hand perspective on this thinks. Edited for relevance.

link

Bowing in Japan has many functions in one. It expresses the feeling of respect, thanking, apologizing, greeting, and so on. For example, you can bow, when you say, "thank you", "sorry", "hello", "good bye", " welcome", "congratulations", "excuse me", "good night", "good morning", and more.

Bowing seems simple, but there are some different ways of bowing. It depends on the social status or age of the person you bow to. If the person is higher status or older than you are, it's common to bow deeper and longer, showing respect.

...A more formal way of bowing is performed to a 45-degree angle looking down at your feet. This type of bow signifies deep gratitude, a respectful greeting, a formal apology, asking for favors, and so on.

Obama actually used the right bow for the right situation. Not bowing to The Emperor, being Royalty, and much older, would be something akin to swatting aside an offer for a handshake and scowling, keeping in mind that The Emperor is a very important Cultural Figure in Japan.

First of all the vomit thing was an accident and not really material to the issue.

Secondly, NO President as head of state, has ever bowed to anyone in 230 years or so until Obama. Obama is not the first President to meet with the Japanese Emporer, and no past Presidents have ever been criticizes for not bowing... to anyone including the Japanese.

We do not, and should not bow to anyone.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Ember's post doesn't help Obama, since Obama bowed at a 90 degree angle, which is the angle at which servants bow to their masters. I wonder if he polished the emperors shoes while he was down there. Also, bowing to a senior in Japanese culture, only applies if you are peers, not heads of state. A peer being someone of equivalent social status, or a family member.

I really don't care what the President does, if he looks like a fool, that only helps us get him out of office sooner. The man is a joke and I can't wait to see who he bows to next, the President of Mexico? How I wish!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I still can't get the picture of Bush holding 'girlie hands' with the prince. :thumbsup:

I still can't get the picture of Bush holding 'girlie hands' with the prince. :thumbsup:

It IS hard to imagine but it happened....it's just out of character for Alpha-male George Bush.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

It is a simple sign of respect, no more, no less. Ask your businessmen who do business with Japan, they will tell you it is normal protocol. Remember, they are bowing as well. No biggie unless the cowboys want to make it a big deal.

You don't bow like that to the Japanese, Nagwalk, It is common to slightly tip your head forward when meeting someone and that is an acknowledgment that you respect that persons space and are not to violate it. It is a common courtesy, but it has nothing to do with what our president is doing. And what is he doing is shameful.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Humility is a good thing. Meekness is a good thing. Pride is a bad thing. Puffed upness is a bad thing.

Bowing=good

Drop the Americanized Christianity for a moment and realize we are called to be the welcome mat, the feet washers, not the lords