• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,089
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  241
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Ok there is NO " right " or " wrong " answer but this was on our new today and I just wondered what others thought about it .....

Storm over addict's vasectomy cash

18 October 2010 12:11am

Giving a British drug addict cash incentives for sterilisation is "exploitative, ethically dubious and morally questionable", a leading drugs charity has declared.

DrugScope chief executive Martin Barnes spoke out after the 38-year-old addict, who wishes to be known only as John, was given

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

While I'm conflicted about addicts having children....it's a private matter unless those children are abused or at risk. I'd have to agree with this line......"It is exploitative, ethically dubious and morally questionable."

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

All they are doing is giving them money to buy more drugs. Drug addicts will do almost anything to get their drugs - even sterilisation, I see.

Sadly, these folks seem to think people cannot get off drugs and clean up their lives. What happens if they do, and then want to have a family?

Guess they're out of luck.

Margaret Sanger would be very proud.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

What he /\ said. Is there a big over-population problem with British druggies?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Many years ago in the US (and probably other countries), people with disabilities and mental issues and were institutionalized were routinely sterilized to prevent them from having children. There are parents who have custody of mentally retarded and otherwise disabled children who make that decision for them now. The practice of sterilizing mental patients was stopped a long time ago, I believe.

I'm conflicted by the government offering money to addicts to be sterilized ... at the same time, I've worked with a lot of families where the parents are addicted and they continue to have children - that they do not take care of. There is nothing anymore horrific than seeing a baby born with a drug and/or alcohol addiction - it's the most pitiful sight I've ever seen.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

That is the first rather benign step into eugenics. It looks kind of OK on the surface, but when you make that first decision to remove a group from the gene pool, where you draw the line can very easily slip out of control.

We had a pretty serious eugenics group in the USA in the early 1900's which lead to many many forced sterilizations in many states by the state governments.

It's a very dangerous thing to start, for once you stop them from reproducing, it's just one more step away from killing them.

You can do a goggle search on eugenics United States and read up on our history. That is basically the group of people who push abortions here today.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Huge amounts are spent on armaments and wars. Yet we are unable to the ones close at home. There are people that take decisions on matters which they have litle knowledge and one size approach. The solutions come from finding ways to stop addiction at its root causes rather than its ends. We teach our new generatins a world without His Word it can only come to disaster.

The children of addicts are also a creation of God. The decision of God to give children to addicts is not for us to question or to stop.

Blessings

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Content Count:  33,089
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  241
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:thumbsup: Thank you all for polite replies.....

This is NOT a government thing, in fact it is not even being paid for by British people as it is an American charity that has offered the money .... I had to wonder WHY it is being offered to people here when I am sure you have enough problems with adictions in the USA without taking on other countries problesm :noidea:

It sounds rather unnessesary to me as the man ( or any other men / women who accept the offer ) dont have to pay for the ops, it is all done on the NHS and if they want it done they only have to ask their doctor ..( women are not allowed a total sterilisation under the age of about 35 unles they already have several children or have a serious health risk to having children/ need a hysterectomy for medical problems so it is easier for a man to be sterilised as well as quicker and cheaper )

If the man is addicted ( sorry I dont know a lot about drug addiction ) I would have thought that a) he would have been les able to father children and b) he would not pass on the addiction as it is the mother who infects the child by continuing to use drugs through pregnancy :noidea: ...if this is the case then what is the point of sterilising the men ??

Just to keep this " on track " before thi man could have the op he had to see his own doctor anyway and go through the normal " counciling " sessions that ALL people wanting sterilisation have to go through and he would have been told all the pros and cons and be sent away to think about it before it was done ( another reason that this whole thing sounds so un-necesary to me ) :thumbsup: